FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

terasic DE0-Nano Developmentkiy- linux help

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi 

Im new in the SoC world :)- im an hardware guy - but i have a software question :) 

I want to buy the terasic DE0-Nano Development kit. but before i do it i have some questions. 

i want to work with Linux - terasic give an linux image on SD Card , my software team want to write there code in C# so they use a tool named "MONO" that enable to run C# on Linux. 

1. how i can check if the Linux that i get from terasic support "Mono"? 

2. we want to work with 4 modules that connected to the USB port ( via USB HUB ) .The modules work with UART(COM port) - does the Linux that terasic gave have a uart driver ? 

thanks 

david
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DE0-Nano come without SD. I recommend you DE1-SOC that come with FPGA+ARM to run Linux from SD. 

Mono is not a good idea on an embedded system, I think that there isn't even "apt-get" but I can check.. 

DE1-Soc has 2 usb host port, you can connect things. Your module should be compatible with Linux. 

PS: DE0-Nano != DE0-Nano-SoC Kit
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

DE0-Nano come without SD. I recommend you DE1-SOC that come with FPGA+ARM to run Linux from SD. 

Mono is not a good idea on an embedded system, I think that there isn't even "apt-get" but I can check.. 

DE1-Soc has 2 usb host port, you can connect things. Your module should be compatible with Linux. 

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry I made a mistake I meant : DE0-Nano-SoC Development Kit  

this is the link: 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=167&no=941 

this board have a SD CARD, terasic give a linux image for the SD card. 

im not a programmer so i don't know why its not good to work with mono on embedded .Either way my programmers know only C# so this is the reason that they use MONO. 

on the DE0-Nano-SoC Development Kit i plan to use a 4 port usb HUB ( because i have 4 usb modules that we need to communicate with).  

my programmer have 2 has two concerns: 

1. the Linux operating system that terasic give support the new version of Mono. 

2. he told me that he need that the linux will come with the UART driver (COM port) that he can communicate with the USB devices ? 

( for example if i connect one of the usb modules to windows OS ..so after i install there drivers i see them on the device manager as COM port and it easy to my programmer to communicate with them via his code...but here i need it for linux) 

Hope I explain my question ... I'm not software guy :) 

thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

i meant: DE0-Nano-SoC Kit
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Sorry I made a mistake I meant : DE0-Nano-SoC Development Kit  

this board have a SD CARD, terasic give a linux image for the SD card. 

im not a programmer so i don't know why its not good to work with mono on embedded .Either way my programmers know only C# so this is the reason that they use MONO. 

on the DE0-Nano-SoC Development Kit i plan to use a 4 port usb HUB ( because i have 4 usb modules that we need to communicate with).  

my programmer have 2 has two concerns: 

1. the Linux operating system that terasic give support the new version of Mono. 

2. he told me that he need that the linux will come with the UART driver (COM port) that he can communicate with the USB devices ? 

( for example if i connect one of the usb modules to windows OS ..so after i install there drivers i see them on the device manager as COM port and it easy to my programmer to communicate with them via his code...but here i need it for linux) 

Hope I explain my question ... I'm not software guy :) 

thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DE1-Soc and I think DE0-Nano SOC already have UART to USB so no need to add others modules. 

On DE1-Soc you can run Ubuntu and Mono is supported. On DE0-Nano SOC Ubuntu is not available but only Linux Console.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

DE1-Soc and I think DE0-Nano SOC already have UART to USB so no need to add others modules. 

On DE1-Soc you can run Ubuntu and Mono is supported. On DE0-Nano SOC Ubuntu is not available but only Linux Console. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes on the DE0-SOC there is a component uart to usb..but my programer try to understand if the linux core include a driver to talk with this component?( or he will need to write the driver that make is program code to work with the uart component)? 

When you say linux console you meen that i dont have a gui like Ubuntu only a command prompt?  

On roketboard there is 2 boards one is DE1-SOC (terasic cost 250$)..and one that lookes the same brand arrow (cost 350$)..wich one do you reffer ? 

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Onboard usb to uart works with printf()... is binded to standard output. 

Yes, console is only text 

I have DE1-SOC from terasic, SoCKit is better (more FPGA logic, high speed connectors, more FPGA memory, temperature sensor) but more expensive (and doen't have Ubuntu but only LXDE)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Both SoCkit and DE1-SOC were designed and made by Terasic. Though DE1-SOC has less FPGA LE, it is much cheaper and provides a very rich set of peripheral. It is still so far the best SoC kit to get I think! :-)

0 Kudos