FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

unable to debug uboot in arria10 soc

RK
Beginner

Hello

We tried using board design example available "A10_FPGA_to_HPS_Bridge_Design_Example" from "https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/design-examples/soc/fpga-to-hps-bridges-design-example.html?language=en_US". As per the procedure we programmed the .sof file and opened the embedded command shell to open "eclipse". while building the project we got error stating that few headers are missing and thus we created header files using the embedded command shell using instruction "sopc-create-header-files hps_system.sopcinfo". After building again, we proceeded to debug the uboot as per the procedure. we came across the following error

WARNING(CMD399-COR168): # in C:\Users\Badri_5745\Desktop\15jan\A10_FPGA_to_HPS_Bridge_Design_Example\A10_FPGA_to_HPS_Bridge_Design_Example\software\uboot_bsp_ext_cfg\uboot.ds:23 while executing: start ! Failed to start the target ! No function named "main" could be found WARNING(CMD407): Trying the entry point instead

should we have compiled the entire design and created the uboot from the handoff before using?please tell us what we are doing wrong. all the help is appriciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee
Hello, Would you please share with me the steps you followed to create the application? Thanks
0 Kudos
PZhan12
Beginner

Hello,

I have a similar problem in ​debugging uboot in arria10 soc. When I connect my Uboot debug to the SoC Target, I got this:

Error(CMD16-TAD59-NAL18):

Error(CMD16-TAD59-NAL18):   ! Failed to load "u-boot"   ! Download of 149,528 bytes to address S:0xFFE00000 failed while writing block of 4,096 bytes to address S:0xFFE00000   !Bus error on memory operation.

The .ds file I use is generated automatically by BSP Editor:

############################################################   #   # Copyright Altera 2015   # All Rights Reserved   # File: uboot.ds   #   ############################################################       #   # stop processor if running   # and then reset processor   #   stop   wait 5s   reset system   stop   wait 5s       set trust-ro-sections-for-opcodes off       # Load uboot elf   loadfile $sdir/uboot-socfpga/u-boot 0x0   start   wait       restore $sdir/devicetree.dtb binary &_end       #   # set a breakpoint on board_init function   #   tbreak board_init       # tell target to continue executing   continue       # wait for breakpoint   wait 60s

Best wishes.

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello,

It looks like the debugger cannot talk to the board. Typically this happens because board is not in a good state – most commonly because Linux is already running there. I suggest to do the following things:

1. Try to remove the SD card in case it tries to boot to Linux.
  2. Try to run the commands from the script manually one by one and see what happens.
  3. Try to reduce JTAG clock speed.

For reference, typically running A10 U-Boot through debugger goes like this:

• U-Boot is configured with external FPGA configuration from bsp-editor
  • FPGA is configured with quartus programmer
  • U-Boot is then downloaded and ran through the DS-5 debugger like you did

Thanks

0 Kudos