FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

unknow address from I2C Agent to Avalon-MM Host Bridge IP

Matt1
Beginner

hi,

I implemented the intel I2C Agent to Avalon-MM Host Bridge embedded IP(slave) in  MAX V CPLD.

Embedded Peripherals IP User Guide (intel.com) chapter 16

The slave address which I set in the GUI was 0x10

while reading the slave address(i2C in CPLD) from the Host, I am getting:  00 0x10.

I am not sure from where the 00 is coming and the I2C bus have only one slave  that is the CPLD.

it would be great if somebody give some suggestions.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I don't understand where you are seeing this weird "00 0x10".  Are you saying that you see this when running in hardware?  When running code?  Where are you seeing this?

0 Kudos
Matt1
Beginner

Thank you for your response.

I can see this while it is running in the hardware,

The ip is implemented and programmed in the CPLD and i did a i2c probe command from the host (processor).

Then i see the unknown "00" address along with the valid I2C address "10".

i tried replacing the intel i2c with a custom made I2C IP with minimum functionality and couldn't see any unknown address other than the valid i2c address, that's how i concluded that this unknown 00 is coming from the intel i2c ip.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I'm not an I2C expert (I should be though; used it a lot ages ago), but is there confusion here between the address of the component itself that you set in Platform Designer (in the base address column) vs. an address on the I2C bus?  You can set the base address of a component to anything in the address space of whatever host you connect the agent to, but that's separate from addressing components on the I2C bus itself.

0 Kudos
Matt1
Beginner

It's not about setting a salve address, but the issue is while reading the slave address from the Host processor.

I can read the right slave address nevertheless there is some unknow address is also coming along with the actual address.

My issue is with this unknow I2C slave address(that is 00) from the I2C Agent to Avalon-MM Host Bridge embedded IP.

please have a look into the attachment.

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Matt1,

Do you still require help for this issue?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
Matt1
Beginner

yes, the issue still exist.

can you please have a look into the attachments

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Matt1,

If your set your I2C slave address in I2C Slave To Avalon-MM Master Bridge Intel FPGA IP to 0310 for example,

Will it get 03 10 when you perform i2c probe?

I am not very sure and wonder maybe the IP support more than one byte of address size. I think it support up to 10 bit addressing mode if I am correct.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
Matt1
Beginner

Hello Aik Eu,

sorry for the delay in response.

currently the work is halted, the wrong address 00 is still there.

if you can check the gui.png in my previous reply, i set only 0x10 in  I2C Slave To Avalon-MM Master Bridge

my question is how a 00 comes along with the actual address 10 while performing a i2cprobe command from the Host side.

community.intel.com/t5/FPGA-SoC-And-CPLD-Boards-And/unknow-address-from-I2C-Agent-to-Avalon-MM-Host-Bridge-IP/m-p/1325359#M21222

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Matt1,

Any follow up on this?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Matt1,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos