cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Configurable FPU

Configurable FPU

Disclaimer

I do not support this product, so use it at your own risk. You are welcome to modify it or put it into a commercial product.

I have tested the FPU on a Cyclone III with Quartus II 9.1. Please let me know, whether you succeed to use it on a different hardware.

I appreciate your feedback to michael.schoeggl@avl.com

Introduction

The original fpoint custom instruction distributed with Nios II only supports the 4 arithmetic functions. It misses functions for compare operations (<, <=, >, >=, ==, !=) and for conversion between float and int, which eat up much cpu-time, too.

Nevertheless Altera already provides all these arithmetic functions as altfp_ megafunction-blocks. This FPU implements a wrapper to make the megafunction-blocks available as Nios II custom-instructions.

How to integrate the FPU into your project

• Put the files into your project directory or somewhere into your sopc library path. 
  • Add the FPU custom instruction to your CPU (don’t forget to remove the fpoint custom instruction!)
  • Move the FPU to the top position of the custom instructions: the numbers for the custom instructions below assume that the FPU has the instruction offset 0.
  • Add the following compiler-flags into your software project. With Quartus II 9.1 the wizard seems to be broken, so add it directly to the makefile at: APP_CFLAGS_USER_FLAGS :=
  • (They will show up at ‘Properties -> Nios II Application Properties -> User flags’.)
  • Compiler-flags for the whole FPU:
  • -mcustom-fabss=0 -mcustom-fnegs=1 -mcustom-fcmpgts=2 -mcustom-fcmpges=3 -mcustom-fcmplts=4 -mcustom-fcmples=5 -mcustom-fcmpeqs=6 -mcustom-fcmpnes=7 -mcustom-fadds=8 -mcustom-fsubs=9 -mcustom-fmuls=10 -mcustom-fdivs=11 -mcustom-floatis=12 -mcustom-floatus=13 -mcustom-fixsi=14 -mcustom-fixsu=15 -fsingle-precision-constant

Restrictions

• The megafunctions used in the FPU do not support denorm float numbers (numbers smaller than 1e-38), but set them to 0. (I think the original fpoint custom instructions behave just the same.)
  • The FPU can not be compiled for a Cyclone I, which does not have embedded-multipliers.

Detailed description

• The implementation is just a wrapper for the altfp_ megafunction-blocks distributed with Quartus II.
  • So it should be rather bug-free. It compiles to more than 100 MHz for a Cyclone III.
  • The compiler-flags must be set to activate the custom instructions in your software.
  • The numbers assume, that the FPU has the custom instruction offset 0. 
  • If you have a different offset, you must add your offset to the numbers below.
  • You can individually switch on/off each megafunction block to tune the FPU to your needs.
  • The LEs below show the resource-usage (the whole FPU needs about 2300 LEs.)
  • The implementation is completely re-written, but originally based on YAFPU from JCJB.  

Instruction

LEs

Compiler-flags

Abs / Neg 

-mcustom-fabss=0 -mcustom-fnegs=1

Compare

-mcustom-fcmpgts=2 -mcustom-fcmpges=3

-mcustom-fcmplts=4 -mcustom-fcmples=5

-mcustom-fcmpeqs=6 -mcustom-fcmpnes=7

Add / Sub  

-mcustom-fadds=8 -mcustom-fsubs=9

Multiply