EMIF Implementation differences between Intel Agilex® FPGA and previous FPGA families

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
363 Discussions

EMIF Implementation differences between Intel Agilex® FPGA and previous FPGA families

For users who may be familiar with Intel® Arria® 10 FPGA or Intel® Stratix® 10 FPGA External Memory Interface (EMIF) IP and might expect similar features and implementation flows for Intel Agilex® FPGA EMIF IP, this article informs users of the important differences they need to be aware of when starting a new Intel Agilex® FPGA EMIF design. For further information on these points, refer to the External Memory Interfaces Intel Agilex® FPGA IP User Guide.

(1) Intel Agilex FPGA EMIF IP does not support PHY only, and ping-pong PHY configurations

(2) Intel Agilex FPGA uses IO-96 I/O banks which are comprised of two I/O 48 sub-banks named top and bottom

(3) Intel Agilex FPGA requires a single calibration IP component to be instantiated for interfaces on each device edge

• Select the number of interfaces to be supported
  • Connect the calibration bus and clock to each DDR4 IP

(4) Intel Agilex FPGA DM/DBI pin is in a fixed location in an x8 DQS group

(5) Intel Agilex FPGA EMIF PLL reference clock differential I/O standard is “True Differential signaling”

• It may require external components for DC bias and AC coupling

(6) Intel Agilex FPGA EMIF I/O timing flow is new

• No EMIF IP Board tab parameters of signal group skews are required
  • Intel provides collateral on the DDR4 interface recommendations for PCB layout
  • The customer runs Board simulations (SPICE), and the waveform eye diagram is compared to a mask for verification of the Intel Agilex FPGA I/O timing and PCB layout

(7) Intel® Quartus® Prime Software Timing Analyzer still has “Report DDR,” but this only covers internal EMIF IP timing :

• Reset/Recovery
  • Core to core, core to periphery, periphery to core.

(8) Intel Agilex FPGA EMIF Debug toolkit is in the Intel® Quartus® Prime Edition Software Unified Toolkit (UTK)

• Similar features to the Intel Arria 10 FPGA/Intel Stratix 10 FPGA legacy EMIF Toolkits
  • Configurable Traffic generator 2.0 has more flexible functionality for debugging, which can be modified without having to recompile the project
    • Preset traffic patterns
    • User-defined traffic patterns

Notices & Disclaimers

Intel technologies may require enabled hardware, software, or service activation.
No product or component can be absolutely secure.
Your costs and results may vary.
Intel, the Intel logo, and other Intel marks are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries.
The products described may contain design defects or errors known as errata, which may cause the product to deviate from published specifications. Current characterized errata are available on request.

The Intel logo, and Intel Agilex are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries

2021-06-27
David Elmer

Version history
Last update:
‎03-14-2023 10:42 AM
Updated by: