This design example demonstrates Low Latency 10G Ethernet IP solution for Arria 10® using Altera® Low Latency 10-Gbps Ethernet (10GbE) Media Access Controller (MAC) and Native PHY IP cores with small form factor pluggable plus (SFP+). It is capable to achieve low roundtrip latency, 136.677ns (time taken to transmit the first data from Avalon-ST TX interface to be available at Avalon-ST RX interface) in the simulation. Besides,it supports packet monitoring system on transmit and receive paths and report Ethernet MAC statistics counter for transmit and receive data paths.
Other Low Latency Ethernet 10G MAC reference designs:
Note: This design example can be generated from the Low Latency Ethernet 10G MAC IP Parameter Editor of which can be invoked from IP Catalog beginning with Quartus Prime v15.1. User can apply the "10GBase-R Register Mode Example Design" preset at the right bottom corner of Low Latency Ethernet 10G MAC IP Parameter Editor to generate this design example. Refer to Design Examples for Low Latency 10G Ethernet MAC User Guide for more information.
Table 1: Table1.png (Click here for image)
The following diagram shows the clocking and reset scheme for the design example. At the top-level of the design, there are two external clock sources, ref_clk_clk (322.265625MHz) and csr_clk (100MHz)and one master reset, master_reset_n. The master reset is asynchronous and active low reset signal. This reset signal is then synced to different clock domain internally. When the master_reset_n is asserted, it brings down all modules in the design example.
Figure 1: Clock%26reset_scheme.png (Click here for image)
Table 2: Interfacesignals.png (Click here for image)
All register space for this example design is 32 bit. The following tables show the address offset for the design example and client logic at the top-level of the design.
Table 3: Designblockregmap.png (Click here for image)
Table 4: Subblockregmap.png (Click here for image)
Table 5: Testbenchfiles.png (Click here for image)
Altera uses the following software and hardware to test the design examples:
■ Altera Complete Design Suite(ACDS) version 14.1A10S
■ ModelSim-SE 10.3c
■ Altera Arria 10 GX SI Development Board (10AX115S4F45I3SGE2)
■ Clock Control ( The Clock Control tool is shipped with the “Installation Kit” for Arria 10 GX SI Development Board )
Testbench_setup.png (Click here for image)
Testbench is included in the design example package for simulation verification. Below are the steps to run the simulation:
1. Download and restore the design example: LL_Ethernet_10G_A10_phy_10GBaser_Register_mode.
2. Launch Modelsim-SE 10.3c and change the directory to LL_Ethernet_10G_A10_phy_10GBaser_Register_mode\testbench.
3. In the TCL console window, type the below command:
4. At the end of the simulation, Modelsim simulator will generate statistics of transmitted packets and received packets in the Transcript window. While in the Wave window, the roundtrip latency for serial loopback is indicated by the measurement cursors that show the time taken to transmit the first data from Avalon-ST TX interface to be available at Avalon-ST RX interface.
Figure 2: Txstatistics.png (Click here for image)
Figure 3: Rxstatistics.png (Click here for image)
Figure 4: VLL_simulation.png (Click here for image)
The design example package comes with pre-generated RTL files that implement a single Ethernet channel uses the on-board small form factor pluggable plus (SFP+). Below are the steps to perform hardware test:
1. Download and restore the design example: (refer to the project link above).
2. Launch the Quartus II 14.1A10S software and then open the project file, “altera_eth_top.qpf”.
3. Run full compilation for the design example. A “.sof” file will be generated once the compilation is complete.
4. Configure the FPGA on Arria 10 GX SI Development Board using the generated, “altera_eth_top.sof” file.
5. After configuration is done, open the Clock Control tool, “ClockControl.exe”. The Clock Control tool is shipped with the “Installation Kit” for Arria 10 GX SI Development Board.
6. Set the new frequency for Y5 and Y6 as shown below:
Y5.png (Click here for image)
Y6.png (Click here for image)
7. Press User Push Button S1 to reset the system.
Note: System must be hard reset after configuration done.
8. On Quartus II Tools menu, click on System Debugging Tools and then launch System Console.
9. In the System Console command shell, change the directory to “LL_Ethernet_10G_A10_phy_10GBaser_Register_mode/script”.
10. Perform the following test by running the command in the System Console command shell:
a. SFP+ loopback
i. source gen_conf.tcl (Generate and send 0xffff2000 packets)
ii. source monitor_conf.tcl (To check the number of good and bad packets received)
iii. source show_stats.tcl (To show the statistics counter values)
b. Avalon-ST loopback
Command: source loopback_conf.tcl (enable Avalon-ST loopback)
©  Altera Corporation. The material in this wiki page or document is provided AS-IS and is not supported by Altera Corporation. Use the material in this document at your own risk; it might be, for example, objectionable, misleading or inaccurate.