Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts
361 Discussions

Ark survival evolved freezing constantly in Iris Xe newer drivers

Vxral
Beginner

Ark Survival Evolved is running very poorly with new drivers, whenever i run around, game freezes like every 3 seconds for like 1 second, I have tested an intel hd 520, 620 and iris xe to see the problem, the hd 520/620 ran perfectly fine on 2018 drivers but had the same freezing problem with newer drivers like 27.x 30.x including the latest driver 30.101.1994. I want to use the old drivers on iris xe, but they are not supported on the iris xe bcs of the drivers being way too old, btw i tested on oem and dch drivers.

I MAY have found the cause, non interactable grass and some other things seem to pop up randomly when moving around and disappear when you go a litlle far on newer drivers, and the disatance before it disappears is actually really close, this causes your cpu to spike from 20-35% all the way to 100%, on older drivers like 24.x, this does not happen except for only some big rocks start to slowly appear and can be fixed with the game distance, but on newer drivers changing the game distance fixes the things thats in the game code, but not the modifications made by the driver, please solve the problem, its making playing ark pure torture and giving me a headache from the freezing

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

Vxral, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase/build it?

Did the game "Ark Survival Evolved" ever work fine on this specific machine while using Intel® drivers?

Does the problem happen only with the "Ark Survival Evolved" or with all the games?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes, besides updating the graphics driver, that might cause this issue?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Vxral
Beginner

motherboard- HP 87F3 (AIO motherboard)

PC model- HP 27-dp1022na

the pc is about 3 months old, bought brand new from currys, problem happens from day one, and its driver related

Ark always ran the same on newer drivers with the same problem, tested on this HP AIO, surface pro 4 and Lenovo ideapad 330 15ikb,

Test results:    (oem and dch made no difference in resource usage or game behaviour)

HP AIO (i5-1135g7) - always had the problem bcs the gpu oldest gpu driver supported on iris xe still has the problem.

Surface pro 4 (i5-6200u) - everything ran fine on 2018 drivers on the 24.x driver lineup with consistent frame rates and no freezing, obviously with like 40fps less than iris xe due to it being a weaker gpu, as soon as i tried 27.x and 30.x drivers, problem occured, freezing and etc when moving around, the moment I switched to 2018 drivers again, fixed, tried switching between older and newer drivers like 4 times with fresh driver reinstalls, 2018 ones were fine, newer ones werent.

Lenovo laptop (i5-7200u) - same situation to surface pro, but oem drivers of 26.x series were also tested, they ran fine, obv 27.x ones and later werent

both Windows 11/10 tested, no difference

It is clearly not relating any hardware change but intel drivers, I feel like i downgraded from hd620 because i dont have access to older drivers on iris xe due to its release date.

heres the SSU, done yesterday with all options selected

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Vxral, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

When it comes to games, it is always recommended to verify the game requirements to make sure your system complies with them. Keep in mind that the performance will depend on the game specifications and your whole hardware configuration. Games are usually GPU intensive, so you may require a dedicated graphics card compatible with your system when using Desktop computers.

Since the game is not that new, you can try to use the Intel® Compatibility Tool in order to verify if the game works properly that way:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030981/graphics.html

According to the information showing the SSU document, the graphics driver version currently installed on your computer is 30.0.101.1994, which, as you mentioned, is provided by Intel®:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?

Every computer is different and it is important to mention that the Intel® graphics divers are generic, meaning they might or might not work as expected with your specific device. Based on that, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

For this particular machine, I looked on HP's website, and the latest graphics driver they have available is version 30.0.100.9864 Rev.A. Was that the graphics driver version that you tested? If not please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below and once you get the chance, let us know the results:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-all-in-one-pc-27-dp1000wi/37921088/swItemId/ob-289532-1

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Even though the Intel® graphics drivers are generic, in the link below you will find different older Intel® driver versions. For testing purposes, you can try also to install one of them and confirm if the problem with the game persists after that or, if it gets fixed, to let us the driver version so we can do further research on this topic:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?

We also recommend to get in contact directly with HP support to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed on your machine or, if necessary, to gather the instruction so now to update it:

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Vxral
Beginner

Thank you for attempting to support me, but I already mentioned I tried oem and dch on iris xe single channel ram 8gb 3200mhz, always had problems, tested as many drivers as I could, it is driver related, the problem on iris xe has to be fixed by intel, I have no control over it, nothing wrong with my PC, I am aware how drivers work, so any tips on trying different drivers wont help, let me explain in case of a misunderstanding, sorry for all this writing,

Problem is the 1% and 0.1% lows in fps, the reason is that too many things disappear when u go like 5-10 metres away from things like grass and etc, causing too much cpu spikes to 100% and freezing for like 1sec when running around, this problem only occurs with drivers that were released in 2020 and later, not being too specific on drivers here, but most drivers from early 26.x lineup and earlier dont have this problem of literally almost everything disappearing when going a little bit far, things that did could be fixed by changing game view distance, meaning those drivers are unaffected and no spikes are taken place in even very weak cpu's such as the i5 6200u.

Obviously if those drivers work fine, why dont I use those drivers?

well, because the oldest driver that works on 11th gen iris xe gpus is from Q3 2020 if i remember correctly, because that was the first driver added with 11th gen iris xe support, meaning I cant install any driver older than that.

How do i know about the older drivers and that they work correctly then?

I have an i5 7200u PC and an i5 6200u PC, none of them had any issues with older drivers, the moment I updated to newer drivers, It was literally the exact same problem.

Intel, please test this yourselves with i5-1135g7, every driver compatible with this model suffers from the problem

FOR INTEL RESEARCH PURPOSES:

drivers that SUFFER from the problem:

-27.20.8783 and later, including the latest driver, DCH and OEM (I do not know about any older 27.x models and how they work)

Drivers that WORK FINE (only the ones I tested, testing legacy drivers is hard, they are quite hidden)-

-24.20.100.6286 (DCH) (from intel official website ) https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19364/27988/legacy-intel-graphics-driver-for-windows-10.html?

-24.20.100.6292 (OEM, by Lenovo, customised for Lenovo Ideapad 330-15ikb)

-24.20.100.6299 (OEM, by Microsoft, customised for Surface Pro 4)

-26.20.100.7262 (OEM, by Lenovo, customised for Lenovo Ideapad 330-15ikb)

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Vxral, You are very welcome, thank you very much for clarifying those aspects and providing the graphics driver versions tested.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Vxral, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, we just wanted to confirm if, by any chance, you can use the following settings and test the game:

Alberto_R_Intel_1-1656710681104.png

Could you please try to use a lower resolution for testing, for example, 720p? 

The game requirements suggest having 2GB dedicated or better, however, can you confirm the settings you are using or if you were able to test it with an older iGPU? (Resolution, etc)

Does the issue happen when playing in multiplayer or alone?

Have you tried to reinstall the game and where did you download the game, could you please provide the link if possible?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Vxral
Beginner

Sorry, I don't play multiplayer, only play with my bro on non dedicated private hosted server or by myself in single player, it's not the best experience in non-dedicated servers typically, but I understand why, I'm hosting a server for friends to play in from my PC, but I'm mainly complaining about singleplayer where older drivers ran fine.

also the game settings, 1080p is not my style, I don't need anything over 720p for a non competitive single player game, typical fps is around 60 on 1080p, I prefer locking my fps to reduce PC pressure, so I play in 720p which can even give over 80fps at times, but lock it to 60, light bloom and color grading off, as it gives a slight fps improvement, mesh level of detail to the lowest as it can give about 5fps extra, fov on max, rest is the same to the image, I have also tried the exact image settings in the past, but in 720p, same continuous things popping up and causing freezing, I have also tried increasing distance view of things, no change, from my testing, I am 100% sure it is a driver problem.

I have tried intel command center settings at these, tho there was no change at solving my freezing every couple of seconds issue

Vxral_0-1656769415043.png

It says ShooterGame because I seleceted the game manually

I tested in older iGPUs too, all info was already provided before,

I reinstalled the game also verified it, no solution, as I said before, problem is driver specific, not game

I installed from EGS and Steam (tested with EGS version on all PC's, steam has a very slow download), no performance difference on both versions tho, I havent reinstalled in steam, only on egs.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Vxral, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

We will continue with our research on this matter. As soon as I get more information, I will post it in this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

We would like to inform you that we tested this game on an i7-1165G7 Tiger Lake (medium graphics settings) processor and found no stutter at all. As shown on the screenshot below, the framerate is stable, and no dips are present (stuttering can be detected as temporary dips on the framerate). Also, the game is running at over 30 fps, which is what we define as playable. So there is no low framerate seen.

Alberto_R_Intel_1-1659387531077.jpeg

One reason stuttering may be happening is that every time a graphics driver is changed, all games on that system will need to rebuild their shader cache: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shader

To avoid this, every time a new game or a new driver is installed, please allow the game to run for at least 10 minutes so that it finishes building the new driver cache.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Vxral
Beginner

1% lows are too bad and im not the only one to experience this, pls check out this video, ik its 8 months old but game behaviour with driver updates hasnt rly changed in this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je-b2i3PLnI

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Vxral, Thank you very much for your response and for sharing the link.

We will verify the video and continue with our research on this matter. As soon as I get more details I will post all of them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

After reviewing the link, we noticed the video is actually older and every system configuration is different, so we can not compare each system as any of them will perform differently besides that we were unable to replicate the issue.

Please follow our recommendation related to the shaders of allowing the game to run for at least 10 minutes so that it finishes building the new driver cache. 

If the issue remains after that, then the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with HP support or with the game developers for further suggestions as we could not replicate it, so could be something wrong with the system itself or with the game configurations:

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos