Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts
361 Discussions

My Game Dota2 Always Crash After Updating Intel Corporation - Display

fajarkamil
Beginner

Hi Intel Team!

Can't play the game well after I do installation from Windows Update (Auto Update) for Intel Corporation - Display - 31.0.101.322.

I do playing Dota2 without any problem, then my laptop asking for restart and do update. After that I play the game again, after 5-10 minutes playing I got very low FPS and after several minutes it is crash, can't do anything!

Please help, solve the problem.

I figured out the Intel Iris XE on Task Manager 0% usage.

I do reinstall the steam and the game

Thanks,

Fajar

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello fajarkamil,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• We have a website with our recommended graphics settings for the Dota2 game, please make sure to try them and confirm if the issue persists: https://gameplay.intel.com/games/dota-2
  • Confirm that no other heavy workload programs are running in the background while playing.
    • Open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).
    • Click the CPU and Memory tabs to check whether anything is using up large chunks of your CPU or RAM (for instance, a web browser with many tabs open).
  • Try rolling back the graphics driver to a previous version in case newer drivers are causing the game to crash.
    • Simultaneously press the Windows + X keys on your keyboard. Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Double-click your Intel® display device.
    • Select the Driver tab.
    • Click Roll Back Driver to restore.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
fajarkamil
Beginner

Dear Jean,

Thanks for reply.

1. I do check and lower my graphic setting (fastest setting), but still facing same problem (not solved). Btw, I'm using i5 gen 12. No recommendation for that setting.

2. I do check workload on task manager, everything looks fine. except the GPU used from 51% drop to 0% after 5-10 minutes and then my game freeze.

3. Trying to rolling back the driver but no options, grey colour.

Regards,

Fajar

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello fajarkamil,

To confirm if there is other another heavy workload running in the background, you should check it using the task manager under the process tab.

Also, as the option to roll back the driver has been greyed out, I would recommend doing a clean installation of the graphics driver 31.0.101.3222. You should know that there are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. Intel’s generic graphics drivers are intended for testing, if you want to try using the Intel drivers, try following these steps:

• Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html
  • Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 
  • Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center and driver from Apps and Features. 
  • Restart the computer. 
  • Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters that the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 
  • If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Apps and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 
    • 1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
    • 2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device is checked. 
    • 3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 
    • 4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 
  • Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded in step 1 Restart the computer. 
  • Reconnect to the Internet. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
fajarkamil
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Thank for reply.

I do check as your guidance, please see attached for detail on task manager under the process tab. Any advise?

to roll back the driver, should I follow your guidance or I just check using Intel Driver & Support Assistance everythings look updated and fine. is it enough?

Regards,

Fajar

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello fajarkamil,

Thanks for your response.

Regarding the task manager, I noticed that the RAM is working at 92% when running the game; however, the game only requires 2GB of RAM, and your system has 8GB. It indicates that there is a heavy workload from background programs that are affecting the RAM. I see programs running in the background, such as: Steam, Microsoft Edge, Xbox Game Bar, McAfee, etc. Look into the programs listed in the task manager and stop any process from an App that you are not using at the moment to see if it improves the performance of the game.

About the driver rollback, you should know that the Intel Driver & Support Assistance will not help you do any driver rollback. The Intel® DSA looks for the newest drivers, checks if your system has the driver already installed, and will prompt you to install it. It will not provide any indication or option to install a previous driver to do a driver rollback. As well, the steps I recommended were to update the driver and install the latest graphics driver.

Also, I want to confirm what you mean when saying that the game crashed. Does it mean that the system became irresponsive? Does the game close? Is there any error message? If it is possible for you, please, create a video recording that shows your behavior with the game.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello fajarkamil,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello fajarkamil,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
fajarkamil
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Sorry my late response, I do several check and option. Still drop FPS after several time 5-10 minutes playing game.

Yes, the game getting drop FPS from 70 -> 50 -> below 20 and freeze when get 10 fps.

After freeze the game, I check Task Manager no activity on GPU.

When I restart the game, everthing being fine again and I can resume the game with good conditions. After 5-10 minutes the cycle start to dropping FPS again.

Reagards,

Fajar

0 Kudos