Gaming on Intel® Processors with Intel® Graphics
Ask questions and get answers, tips/tweaks, and techniques from product and technology experts
361 Discussions

Rainbow Six Siege on Iris Xe bad performance and crashing

Vxral
Beginner

I have tried running r6s on iris xe 1135g7, 8gb ddr4 ram 3200mhz single channel, and at 720p lowest everything, 100% render scaling anti alising set at off 72fov is causing fps to be around 62, but continuously drops to like 45 on explosions, outside buildings it is typically around 50fps, and this performance is simply too bad for a game of such, can crash often too, running on vulkan, same story with directx, but directx feels a lil more laggy at same frame rates but seems to be crashing less, i have seen that game ready drivers are being distributed for some games for beta dch drivers for 7th-12th gen processors (i am not mistaking with arc drivers btw), can something like this be done for siege too, it is disappointing to see that 2018 intel drivers from the 24.100..... drivers seem to be much more reliable relating crashes, freezing and inconsistency which i tried in intel hd 620 and 520.

btw the iris xe drivers i have occured this problem is the first ever driver to work with iris xe which is 27.something, one of the newer ones, 30.101.1191, and all the other newer ones ever since that, including the latest, 30.101.1994, i have attempted trying dch and oem drivers, no difference was seen, so i would love to see a bit more optimization so i could at least play 1366x768 100 render scaling, which is scaling at the set screen resolution of the game and anti alising set to off, at a consistent 60fps.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Vxral
Beginner

here is the report of ssu program,

btw one thing i forgot to mention in the original message, i am running game on an nvme m.2 ssd, but was running on hdd couple of months ago, and seems like the results are the same relating fps and crashes, except for starting the game and waiting on loading screens, it is like a 0.1secong load now in the loading screen after operator selection, took like 5 seconds before or longer when unlucky

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vxral,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Can you take a short video where we can see the issue?

2. Does this happen with other games? If so, which ones?

3. Did the driver version 27.20.100.9466 work?

4. Have you checked this behavior with HP?

5. Have you reported this issue to the game developer?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Vxral
Beginner

I am not trying to get a solution by diagnosing my pc unfortunately as I am aware it is not my PC problem, my tests taken to see the problems are too obvious that my PC is fine, drivers are the real problem, I am asking for you guys to test things yourselves and see if it is a descent experience for a competitive game as such and release game ready drivers for iris xe on 11th gen for r6s as it is he latest intel gpu release widely available unlike the arc gpus, yet being so bad, surely I see a huge improvement on frame rates compared to UHD 630 because of the hardware modification, but yet the drivers are not the best, for a game like r6s not to be playable at a descent experience on 2022 with intel 2020 gpu which is yet the globally released best intel gpu is not nice to see at all.

I have seen many games completely change performance with driver optimization with my own eyes in my own personal experience, and that can hopefully be the case for r6s with game ready drivers, if you guys decide to, as some games are getting game ready drivers for iris xe 11th gen on beta drivers.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vxral, 

Thanks for your response. In order to test or replicate this issue, I will need some information to compare.

I would appreciate it if you provide me with the information requested.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vxral, 

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Vxral
Beginner

Thanks for attempting to support me further, as I said before, I was wondering if Intel Game On drivers could be released with performance optimization for Rainbow Six Siege as it is one of the most popular games.

I remember some games like Watch dogs got like 20fps extra from different drivers, I'm sure Siege driver optimization + Vulkan API could run surprisingly well.

also the questions you asked me before, sorry for not answering them, here are the answers:

1. r6s recording is extremely hard in Vulkan API, plus I have no capture card, so I would have to go dx which runs horribly or windowed which also runs horribly

2. I can't really talk about if it happens to other games, many games work fine, many have their own unique driver problem, behaviour or bug, no driver can be completely perfect.

3. Most iris Xe drivers are no different for siege

4. I want Game On driver for r6s to make this game playable at 1366x768 or even 1920x1080 (100% render scaling, Anti-Aliasing Off), 1280x720 makes it unplayable because of the blurriness, Siege is a competitive FPS shooter and you just can't see ppl far away, making it impossible to play at higher ranks.

4. What can I report to the game developer?, I'm guessing ill have a similar answer, just add Game On driver for FPS boost.

Conclusion is that I would like to play Rainbow Six Siege at everything low, 1920x1080 as a preferable but at least 1366x768 as a minimum, Render Scaling set to 100, Anti Aliasing set to off, all that with a stable 65fps or over (so 60fps locked will not drop)

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vxral, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vxral, 

Thanks for your patience. In order to continue with the investigation, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Try with the BETA driver version:

2. When the game crashes, does it show any error?

3. Did the game work properly with an older driver prior to the latest Intel and HP drivers?

4. Just to confirm, you are having issues with Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege and not with not Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Extraction, right?

5. Try the recommended settings by Intel for your game: 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Vxral
Beginner

1. Beta driver has no changes for siege, I will install it when it launches properly, I currently use .1994 driver (latest excluding beta), this week I had no issues relating crashes but performance is till poor.

2. It says, "Oh no, Rainbow Six Siege Crashed" (Ubisoft Connect), but hasn't happened this week as I said, happens occasionally, very rarely, but it does happen, does impact when I play ranked, it's actually Vulkan specific.

3. tbh theres no difference in older titles whatever the driver is ever since 2020

4. I don't own extraction, not a fan of that style of game, plus its almost unplayable in iris xe

5.  https://gameplay.intel.com/games/tom-clancys-rainbow-six-siege, not sure how that will ever run fine, i play 720p lowest with anti aliasing set to off, plus I dont wanna go too high with settings other than shadows and such for competitive, but still keep those at lowest too due to the gpu i'm using, also I checked on yt now, no one there gets a decent experience everything lowest 720p dual channel, while I'm playing at single channel. This is performance on yt (best performing tbh) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO_HlGRl0bk&t=40s yet at 720p lowest he is using taa (standard, x1, not x2), yet very hard to run, I keep the anti aliasing to off, else things are impossible to see, that is where I get around 65 dropping to 40 in mp, and he gets 100, nothing wrond with my PC, just need intel to release some drivers optimized for siege.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vxral, 

Thanks for the confirmation. I will continue with the investigation and if I have further questions or any details I will let you know.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vxral, 

Thanks for your patience. We have tested the game with driver 101.1994. The game plays without errors, however, we are working to improve the performance.

Also, I recommend you, if possible, to try with a higher memory capacity to improve the game experience and performance.

In order to continue, if needed, let me know if these issues occur randomly or not.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Vxral
Beginner

Thanks for the testing, great to hear you guys are working on improving performance, just wanted to specify the "Vulkan" version of the game tends to drop to 20s from like 70s at times and crashes too after changing drivers (in this case it is windows updates updating drivers without any reminder or consent and installs an oem driver which is worse than dch driver), only fix is reinstalling game for it to shader cache properly in a fresh manner without any old caching leftovers and delete the old cache, this is something you guys dont have control of probably as it is microsofts fault, but just wanted to specify, this was the reason for all the crashes, i know you guys have nothing to do with this problem and I should pause updates more often, but I hope you guys can improve average frame rates of typical from like 70 to something like 90-100 or something with those settings specified in the past so i can crank up to 1080p or 768p, thanks for trying to improve things for average fps, much appreciated!

Edit: also wanted to specify that game still crashes and has inconsistent fps even after reverting to old driver until reinstalling game.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vxral, 

Thanks for the extra information. In order to continue with the investigation, I will need to confirm the following:

1. Does the game crash just when the driver is changed? Is it from the stable version to OEM or also from the BETA version to the stable version? Or is it only from the BETA driver to the OEM drivers?

2. Does the crashes happen just after the driver is changed or does it happen randomly?

3. Does the issue happens just with the BETA driver or is it present now on the OEM and stable drivers?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Vxral
Beginner
it happens with vulkan when changing to any driver, only fix is to reinstall the game, I think it might be just so that the vulkan shader preloading can redo its thing fresh, dx11 seems to be unaffected, crashes seem to randomly happen, I think its mostly when opening the chat, it could be after 40mins after like the 100th time opening the chat or the first time, just not entirely sure cuz everytime the crash happened, i wasnt rly ready expecting the crash, reinstalling game always does the trick tho after a driver update has been applied. btw I hope the fps improvements are still being worked on as it would be great to see improvements there!
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vxral,  

I reviewed your post, please let me know if the issue was resolved, if not, do not hesitate, just reply back.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vxral, 

Thanks for the confirmation and the extra information. I will proceed to continue with the test and investigation. I will update this thread once I have further details or any other questions.

Thanks for your time and comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vxral, 

Thanks for your patience. I just want to let you know that I am still investigating this behavior. I will update you as soon as I have any news for you.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Vxral
Beginner
I have some extra info, crashes are vey inconsistent and crashes can also occur without driver change, typically about 3 weeks of daily playing, please investigate in your own ways and do not trust anything I say about crashing because of just how inconsistent it all is, I am lost to why this keeps happening, my ram cpu and gpu seem to always be fine, gpu being at 98ish% cpu at 30ish with spikes upto 70ish when like using impact and etc, ram being 60-90ish, no background software, msi afterburner only when testing, crashes are not bcs of hardware maxing out bscly.
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vxral, 

Thanks for the additional information. I would like to let you know that I still investigating this issue/behavior and will let you know as soon as possible any outcome.

Thanks for the comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos