Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

10 bit color depth only works in Windows HDR mode..

fredikreis
Beginner

Hi, when I turn on HDR setting on Windows, it shows I'm in 10 bit color depth. When I turn back on to the SDR mode then I'm back to 8 bit color depth. Gigabyte told me only Intel side can fix this issue. Can you tell me what's going on? Obviously people don't want to spend all their time in HDR since most of the applications and programs run SDR colors, but people want to have 10 bit color depth all the time in SDR. I just downloaded all the newest drivers with Intel DSA and checked Intel Graphics Command Center and there was no option to switch Color Depth. Will it ever be fixed or when will it be fixed? I've added my DxDiag. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosueO_Intel

Hello fredikreis,

Thank you for the information provided. 

In this case, it is important for you to know that currently, the Intel Graphics Command Center (IGCC) allows enabling 10-bit color depth without HDR on HDMI-connected displays. 

It is worth mentioning that the eDP connector is commonly used for laptops or other connectors for the built-in display, the option is not currently available in IGCC for built-in or this type of connection but by activating HDR via the Windows* settings you can do it as you mentioned before. This feedback has been already submitted for consideration however there are no ETAs or promise fixes for this feature.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello fredikreis,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Is this a desktop or a laptop?
  2. Which port are you using to connect the display?
  3. Is this an external display?
  4. Graphics report, open the Intel® Graphics Command Center (IGCC), in order to get please open IGCC, go to the support tab, select system diagnostic, click "generate report", save the file and attach it to your response. 

Also, please download and install the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello fredikreis,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
fredikreis
Beginner
It's laptop Gigabyte AERO 15 OLED SA and I'm using laptop's display. I'll add you the report file when I get home.
0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello fredikreis,

Thank you for the information provided, we will wait for you to get the SSU report.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
fredikreis
Beginner

I've added the report file here.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello fredikreis,

Thank you for the information provided, we noticed that the file attached is a graphics report, this will be useful to try to find a solution. 

Remember that we also need the Intel® SSU report, for this, please download the tool from the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Open the app, select "Everything" and press "Scan". Save the report and attach it to your response. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
fredikreis
Beginner

SSU report attached 

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello fredikreis,

In this case, it is important for you to know that currently, the Intel Graphics Command Center (IGCC) allows enabling 10-bit color depth without HDR on HDMI-connected displays. 

It is worth mentioning that the eDP connector is commonly used for laptops or other connectors for the built-in display, the option is not currently available in IGCC for built-in or this type of connection but by activating HDR via the Windows* settings you can do it as you mentioned before. This feedback has been already submitted for consideration however there are no ETAs or promise fixes for this feature.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
fredikreis
Beginner

Alright, well, I and most others bought a laptop so they don't have to connect any external displays. I have a beautiful 4K OLED display on that laptop and it's a shame that a really big opportunity was missed by not letting users display 10 bit color depth in SDR. Atleast I'm happy to hear that Intel has been notified of the issue and I hope in future I'm still using Intel products and not AMD's. What is the fastest way for me to get information about this issue's progress in say about half a year? I really look forward about this being fixed. Thanks

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello fredikreis,

We understand the situation, we are happy to hear that you will continue using Intel products. 

In this case, remember that we cannot promise an SLA or any release information, however, we recommend you to keep checking the release notes of each driver on the download center and the patch notes of the IGCC on the Microsoft store to check the latest features added to the application. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello fredikreis,

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos