Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

10 bit with i7 8700 (Graphic 630)

Karl
Beginner

Hello,

I have a 10 bit monitor (LG 31MU97Z-B)
Connected with the DP Cable to a ASUS Mainboard (PRIME Z370-A)
The Intel Grapics driver is the newest one.

Problem:
I will only get 8 bit and not the 10 bit.

There is no option and I have no idea what to do.

Thank you!
Karl

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So we can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc

0 Kudos
Karl
Beginner

Hello,

please find attached the system information file.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi Karl,

Intel graphics does support 10-bit and 12-bit color depths (known as deep color). However with our current driver implementation the color depth will be set as per the OS configuration. Normally under Windows -> Display settings -> Windows HD Color section you should be able to enable HDR and WCC (wide color gamut) which would configure the OS for higher color depths. Please note that if the content you are trying to view is 10-bit once you switch to Full Screen mode the driver will switch to said color depth as well (mostly on DirectX applications). More information about our current implementation can be found here

Obviously things have changed and more and more displays support > 8-bit and even Windows 10 (after 1703 update) supports 10-bit, hence we are working on improving our Intel Graphics Command Center application to allow users to manually select the preferred Color Depth. This change is a work in progress so please give us more time (I cannot provide an ETA yet).

Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Karl,

We hope that the information provided by Ronald answered your questions. We will proceed to close this thread. If there are any other questions please make a new post.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Karl
Beginner

Hello,

thank you for the answers.

The problem is not solved because I don't know why the system works only in 8 bit.
The Intel graphics card, the monitor and windows are able to work in 10 bit.

The white paper in the link says that there is no option to choose 10 bit. And Windows will support only 8 bit. But it is from 2015 and very old.
Now windows will support 10 bit too, right?
So if the system is able to work in 10 bit the intel driver will choose the 10 bit automatically.
But Windows will show me in the graphic information only 8 bit.

The question is: Why does it not work?
Where can I have a look to find the problem?
I have applications (video editing) that will work with 10 bit. So it's important to use it.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

I'm afraid the problem won't be solved right away.

The Intel graphics driver doesn't enable 10/12-bit by default, and there is no option in our user interface (i.e. Intel Graphics Command Center) to manually change it. Back then, during driver development phases the OS itself was limited to 8-bit, hence the driver implemented said approach and only switches to 10/12-bit when the content displayed is 10/12-bit and based on DirectX.

Of course the above implementation is already outdated for several reasons such as the abundance of 10-bit displays (especially 4K Televisions) and upgrades to Windows 10 which enabled 10-bit. This is why we are working on an update to Intel Graphics Command Center that should allow manual control of the Color Depth preference. However, until said update is available the only way to enable 10/12-bit is going to be through the OS own settings (Windows -> Display Settings -> Windows HD Color Settings)

Unfortunately I believe as of today Windows 10 only allows said shift if it detects the monitor also supports HDR.

I wish I could provide you with an ETA for the Color Depth update in Intel Graphics Command Center, but dates and targets shift constantly. Rest assured that this is at the top in our list of issues to address.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos