Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

11600k igpu driver problem

Tees
Beginner

Hi,

Recently I built a new PC and started to notice that sometimes screen is going black for a few seconds. It happens very rarely (like once a day) but is very annoying. I do not have a graphics card yet and rely primarily on igpu. 

It looks like monitor loosing the signal but I don't think it is the case.  When monitor actually loosing the signal, it displays prompt message like "no signal, entering powersaver mode etc". I also tested this monitor with another PC(i7-9750h and rtx2070) via HDMI and DP - the issue had not repeated.

Screen goes black randomly whether cpu/igpu under load or not, using HDMI or DP. This issue is not caused by browser or videoplayer. it can happen even after booting the system(on login screen). But I noticed that when screen goes black, sometimes I still have sound from videoplayer and sometimes video crashes in both youtube and twitch(tested in chrome).

I think the problem is with igpu driver. Here's why:

1. Windows keeps reinstalling old driver 27.20.100.9127 even if I manually delete igpu driver and reinstall it from previously downloaded file.  I tried keeping windows disconnected from the internet and switched off "device installation settings".  screenshot 1

2. Also 27.20.100.9127 have some graphics glitches. It looks like artifacts in window buttons and volume slider. screenshot 2

3. When installing new driver, if I open events for igpu it says "device not started".  screenshot 3. I can manually uninstall driver without checkbox "delete software for this device" then it shows "device started"(doesn't solve black screen problem). But then again, if windows update is not disabled it will download outdated driver.

I tried using different drivers from download page but it didn't help. Simply installing new driver over existing 27.20.100.9127 does not solve the issue. Manually installing driver with command line didn't help, although I don't know if I did it correctly following this thread https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Cannot-update-intel-DCH-drivers/m-p/1299365

Tried this guide https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027538/graphics/graphics-for-7th-generation-intel-processors.html

unfortunately with no good result.

Tried installing driver directly from asus website but it seems that version  27.20.100.9078 is not compatible with windows 21h1.

Reinstalled windows and while keeping it not connected to the internet installed newest version of DCH driver. It didn't work, and after update it still rolled back to the old driver version. 

SSU summary attached.  Hope it helps resolving this problem.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello Tees

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We are currently working on this request, the updates will be posted on the thread.

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Please follow the steps for a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows*:

Using the latest driver available 30.0.100.9955:

Let us know if the issue persists. Also, it would help if you can test other monitors/TVs to confirm it's not a hardware issue.

Best regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.    

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
Tees
Beginner

Hi,
I couldn't reply earlier because of forums policy.
I did everything you suggested, but it didn't help. Although I managed to find a solution to windows' constant overriding fresh drivers with outdated version 27.20.100.9127. It worked only after I updated to Windows 11. In both cases you need 27.20.100.9127 to be installed.
1. Delete all igfx drivers > reboot > windows downloads 27.20.100.9127 > install 30.0.100.9955 using 'update driver' in device manager.
2. Delete all igfx drivers > install 30.0.100.9955 > reboot > windows overrides to 27.20.100.9127 > manually roll back driver to previous version.
Only in these cases windows won't roll back to .9127

Unfortunately, I still don't know why it says 'device not started' in the events list after updating the driver. However, it shows no signs of not working properly(besides random black screen, which I mentioned previously).
I couldn't test if the problem occurs with another monitor. But it repeated on my TV connected via HDMI.
I'm using LG 34gk950f-b 3440x1440. Black screen appears on every refresh setting 144, 120, 100, 85. HDMI tested on 85hz.
On ASUS website they added new version of VGA driver 30.0.100.9805 for my MB. https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_download
Installing it with every possible order - connected/disconnected from the internet, deleting old drivers manually, updating from device manager etc. it didn't do anything. Same blackscreen issue, same 'device not started'.

Also, I found out that glitches(like QR code in some elements) driver 27.20.100.9127 caused was because of hardware acceleration. Disabling acceleration resolved the issue.
Black screen situation sometimes occurs right after booting the system. Monitor wakes up but won't show anything, even asus logo prior to windows boot. PC responds to everything just fine, but the screen is black.
I also don't think it has something to do with the temperature. I'm using an AIO and according to asus software temps stays below 40C all the time.
If you have additional requests for information, please let me know. 

Thank you again for looking into it!

0 Kudos
Tees
Beginner

Hi,
I couldn't reply earlier because of forums policy.
I did everything you suggested, but it didn't help. Although I managed to find a solution to windows' constant overriding fresh drivers with outdated version 27.20.100.9127. It worked only after I updated to Windows 11. In both cases you need 27.20.100.9127 to be installed.
  1. Delete all igfx drivers > reboot > windows downloads 27.20.100.9127 > install 30.0.100.9955 using 'update driver' in device manager.
  2. Delete all igfx drivers > install 30.0.100.9955 > reboot > windows overrides to 27.20.100.9127 > manually roll back driver to previous version.
Only in these cases windows won't roll back to .9127

Unfortunately, I still don't know why it says 'device not started' in the events list after updating the driver. However, it shows no signs of not working properly(besides random black screen, which I mentioned previously).
I couldn't test if the problem occurs with another monitor. But it repeated on my TV connected via HDMI.
I'm using LG 34gk950f-b 3440x1440. Black screen appears on every refresh setting 144, 120, 100, 85. HDMI tested on 85hz.
On ASUS website they added new version of VGA driver 30.0.100.9805 for my MB. https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_download
Installing it with every possible order - connected/disconnected from the internet, deleting old drivers manually, updating from device manager etc. it didn't do anything. Same blackscreen issue, same 'device not started'.

Also, I found out that glitches(like QR code in some elements) driver 27.20.100.9127 caused was because of hardware acceleration. Disabling acceleration resolved the issue.
Black screen situation sometimes occurs right after booting the system. Monitor wakes up but won't show anything, even asus logo prior to windows boot. PC responds to everything just fine, but the screen is black.
I also don't think it has something to do with the temperature. I'm using an AIO and according to asus software temps stays below 40C all the time.
If you need any additional information, please let me know.
Thank you again for looking into it!

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.   

Best regards,  

David G. 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello @Tees

We apologize for the inconvenience, we received your reply and reviewed the information. The troubleshooting steps tested indicate a possible issue with the operating system, we understand that you already reinstalled and the issue continued showing up, what we recommend is verifying directly with Microsoft because the automatic updates can be disabled but you could miss out on important Security updates that might be crucial. The black screens seem to be directly connected to the "Device not started" which could be related a driver issue, this happens both on Win10* and Win11* with different drivers so checking that with Microsoft is also a good option to confirm if you could be missing an update or if there is anything else that you can do in this case. 

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Did you check the previous post? Please let us know if you have any questions or if we can close the thread.  

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Tees, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos