Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

12600k. Latest Graphics driver causes Edge and Chrome browser to lag severely.

pman62
Novice

As of the date of this post, I am using a clean installed windows 10 pro, with i5-12600k integrated graphics, with the latest intel graphics driver.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/682713/intel-uhd-graphics-driver-for-12th-gen-intel-core-processors.html

Everything else in Windows runs smooth, but the Edge and Chrome browsers lag severely when I open them. It behaves like it's semi frozen. click response delay is 2 seconds, scrolling is severely delayed and choppy.

I have to close and open the browser several times in order to get these browsers to run smoothly.

chrome://gpu and edge://gpu shows that hardware acceleration is on.

Note, this is a brand new clean install.

I don't know how to describe it....  It's like the graphics takes a while to hook onto the browser engine.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
pman62
Novice

I can replicate the laggy browser issue by opening a lot of tabs at once.

For example, if you have a bookmark folder with 10+ links which you visit everyday, and you right click the bookmark folder and "open all tabs", then the browser becomes really sluggish and nonresponsive.

the only way I can get the browser to run smoothly is to disable hardware acceleration altogether.

or to open each bookmark one by one.

Some people have multiple bookmarks they want to load simultaneously, and this causes browser slowdown.

My other pc with nvidia graphics card does not have this problem.

disabling hardware acceleration is not a solution. Youtube videos and other video sites require hardware acceleration.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @pman62

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you are experiencing this behavior with the Intel® UHD Graphics Driver for 12th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors Version 30.0.100.9928. Actually, this was the first driver we released to support Graphics drivers for 12th Gen Processors.

The latest graphics driver available for Intel® UHD Graphics 770 on 12th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processors is Intel® Graphics DCH Driver Version 30.0.101.1069. Have you tested if the behavior is the same using this driver? If not, we recommend installing this version and testing how it behaves. For Windows® 10, this driver is supported for version 20H2 and newer.

To install this driver, we recommend performing a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows*. You may start from Step 6 in the article. During the process, please make sure all other steps are followed, including disconnecting from the Internet and making sure you get to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter before trying to install the graphics driver.

Also, please make sure that your Microsoft* operating system is up to date.

If the behavior persists with the latest driver, please provide us with the following details so we can check this further:

1- Is the issue happening with other browsers? For instance, Firefox*, Opera", Brave*, etc?

2- Could you please share a short video showing the behavior so we can understand better the issue?

3-Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link. 

4- Please fill up the Template for submitting a Graphics bug available in the link. Please make sure to provide detailed step-by-step instructions for issue reproduction.

5- Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
pman62
Novice

Firefox does not seem to have this issue.

It's always chrome, or chromium based browsers.

I will try to post the info and video demo later

in the mean time, while testing again, I noticed in task manager that while Chrome was trying to render a webpage, the GPU usage would drop to 0%, and then the webpage would become almost unresponsive and choppy.

See how there was gpu activity initially during the first 20 seconds of using Chrome, and then it drops to 0%.... (circled)

Untitled.png

For some reason, Chrome starts with hardware acceleration, and then drops it while loading a webpage.

Does this sound like a Chrome bug, or Intel bug?

0 Kudos
pman62
Novice

it turns out the 5400rpm hard drive is too slow, and somehow causes hardware acceleration to fail in chrome.

on nvme ssd, Chrome and Edge can load multiple tabs simultaneously without a hiccup.

the only way to prevent unresponsiveness on a slow hard drive is to disable hardware acceleration.

with hardware acceleration disabled, multiple tabs can be loaded simultaneously.

still I'm not sure if this is a chromium bug, or an intel bug. 

the workarounds are:

use firefox

turn off hardware acceleration

use an ssd. 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello pman62

Thank you very much for your response and for all these details.

In order to review this further including your inquiry (if this is a chromium bug, or an intel bug) could you please confirm if the behavior persists using a mechanical hard disk drive (HDD) with the latest Intel® generic driver Intel® Graphics DCH Driver Version 30.0.101.1069?

Were you able to install this driver following the steps in the article: Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows*?

Also, please kindly provide us with the following reports:

1- A Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link. 

2- Fill up the Template for submitting a Graphics bug available in the link providing detailed step-by-step instructions for issue reproduction.

3- The Intel® SSU report. Download and open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". Click Next and click Save to save the report as a .txt file.

Note: If possible, please share the short video (showing the behavior) that you mentioned you will try to upload.

Thank you very much for all your efforts.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
pman62
Novice

In order to review this further including your inquiry (if this is a chromium bug, or an intel bug) could you please confirm if the behavior persists using a mechanical hard disk drive (HDD) with the latest Intel® generic driver Intel® Graphics DCH Driver Version 30.0.101.1069?

Were you able to install this driver following the steps in the article: Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows*?

Yes, the behavior persists on my 5400rpm mechanical hdd with the latest graphics version mentioned, clean installed according to those instructions.

Attached video shows how laggy it is. You can hear the mouse click, and then the browser responds many seconds later. Scrolling is choppy and unresponsive too.

There is nothing wrong with the hdd. It passes all smart tests.

1.  graphics report says no driver installed, but device manager shows latest. I have disabled the e-cores.

I will fill out the report in the next post.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello pman62

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
pman62
Novice

all the reports here

video in previous post

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello pman62

Thank you for your response and for all this information, we really appreciate your efforts in this matter.

We are currently working on this; however, after checking the Intel® SSU report and the information available on MSI* website, we are not sure if you have tested using the customized driver from your motherboard manufacturer (OEM), therefore, could you please try the Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows but this time using the driver available on MSI* website >> Intel SVGA Drivers Version 30.0.100.9837*.

We are recommending this since the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the OEM and OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. We just want to make sure the behavior is not related to driver customizations vs generic drivers.

Also, please try to update Windows* to the latest version 21H2 (Build # 19044):

• Open Windows Update settings (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update).
  • Click Check for updates.
  • Once the update appears, select Download and install now.
  • Restart your device to complete the update installation process.

You may also check with Microsoft* Support in case further assistance is required to update the OS.

Please provide us with the outcome of the steps and let us know if the issue is solved or persists.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
pman62
Novice

all versions of this driver, including the old version supplied on MSI website, behave the same.

i tried them all while testing.

hardware acceleration broke on all.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello pman62

Thank you for your response and for this feedback.

Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello pman62

After investigating this behavior, we would like to inform you that we tried reproducing the issue in our lab using the 12th gen reference system and could not reproduce the issue after opening 20 simultaneous tabs in Chrome.

Since we haven't heard any other reports of this, it seems that the issue is unrelated to the graphics driver and it could be caused by external factors (outdated browser version, browser extensions, etc.).

At this point, our recommendation is to check this further with the browser's support teams.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello pman62

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos