Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

27.20.100.8587 Driver Problems with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2020

DCSmith
Beginner

I have a Dell XPS 8930 with an Intel UHD Graphics 630 GPU and an nVidia GTX 1080 installed.  I don't have anything connected to the Intel GPU.

I do video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2020.  GPUs are used for video rendering to take the load off the CPU.

All was working well until this new Intel driver installed last night.  Now neither GPU are used during video rendering causing the CPU to run at 100%.  Downgrading to version 27.20.100.8476 fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DCSmith,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To better assist you please provide the following information:

• How was the update of the graphics driver performed, Did you use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant?  
  • What is your operating system version?
  • Is any other software experiencing issue with that driver? Besides Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2020?.
  • I understand that when the driver version: 27.20.100.8476 the software is working fine, correct?
  • Have you tried the drivers by the computer manufacturer? If so, what versions have you tested?

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
DCSmith
Beginner

1. Intel Driver & Support Assistant was used.

2. Windows 10 Pro - fully updated.

3. No.

4. Yes.

5. No.  It made more sense to backdate the offending driver.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DCSmith,

Thank you for your response and the additional information provided.

If your computer is working fine with the version the previous version, correct, the best step to do here would be to keep using that version.

When talking about OEM devices and the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant, we need to take in consideration that the drivers provided by the tool are generic drivers.  

The purpose of the tool is to detect the components in the computer and show the available updates for it , however, we need to consider that if an OEM device is used, the IDSA might update some drivers that might not be fully validated or compatible with the device.

I consider that this behavior could be due to the load of a non-customized driver.

This is because system manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. 

As previously stated, my recommendation would be to keep working with the driver that is not causing this behavior; also I would like to share with you the following website.

Where you can download customized drivers that are fully validated for your device.

Esteban D. 

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

0 Kudos
DCSmith
Beginner

The "normal" operation during playing or rendering a video in Premiere Pro CC 2020 uses BOTH the Intel & nVidia GPUs.  However, with the latest Intel driver, NEITHER GPU was utilized.

I will stay on the current Intel Driver until you guys get it fixed.  You broke it!

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DCSmith,

Thank you for your response.

First of all, In order to update your computer you should be using a utility/tool provided by your computer manufacturer.

As previously stated the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant provides generic drivers only, so the load of a non-customized driver in your computer is not recommended as this may cause unforeseen issues in a OEM device.  

My recommendation would be that you need to check with your computer manufacturer for driver compatibility and supported software.

In the meantime, keep using the working driver and if you have more concerns about the correct drivers for your computer please check the article Where to obtain Intel HD Graphics Driver for an OEM Product.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question 

as this thread will no longer being monitored .

Esteban D. 

0 Kudos
DCSmith
Beginner

This is a Dell Computer.  Dell provided the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" in their standard build.  I certainly didn't go looking for it.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You know, dell has their own driver support tool.  Are you certain that you are using the intel tool, or the dell tool?

0 Kudos
DCSmith
Beginner

Yes, I know.  It is the "Dell Update".  However, my PC has both the "Dell Update" and FOUR Intel Panels.  See attached.

The video driver was PUSHED.  I did not go look for it.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

IDSA does not "push" drivers.  Microsoft, however, does.  As for the Dell update tool, I am unfamiliar with their process.

0 Kudos
DCSmith
Beginner

I'm telling you, the Intel tool must periodically check for new Intel drivers and "wake-up" if a new one is found.  It was the Intel app that alerted me to a new video driver.

In any case the new driver broke something in my Premiere Pro processing that disabled the program from using either GPU for rendering.  Manually installing the previous driver fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The IDSA constantly checks for new drivers, but it does not install them.  You must initiate the install.

Were I you, to resolve this problem, I would uninstall IDSA and use only the dell tool.

0 Kudos
DCSmith
Beginner

SMH.

I ALLOWED the Intel too to install the new driver.  I have ALLOWED it to install new drivers for almost two years now without a problem.  It's not the tool that's the problem.  It's the DRIVER!

DROP IT!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am trying to help you.  Just how do you allow IDSA to install drivers - with your intevention, or automatically?  If automatically, how did you do that?

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DCSmith,

I would like to know if you have tried the new BETA version of the driver that we offer. This is version: 27.20.100.8873 and you can find it here.

Please let me know if you notice any improvement. If not, I would appreciate if you could provide the following information so we can further investigate this for you:

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1.       Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.    By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3.       Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.       To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

We will be waiting for your response.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DCSmith,

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
DCSmith
Beginner

I didn't realize I needed to respond to your emails via this forum.

Is the new driver out of Beta?  I will only try a released driver.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello DCSmith,

Thank you for your response. 

The latest version of the driver that is available is version: 27.20.100.8853 . This was released on 10/19/2020.

Please try that version, and check results with us.  Let us know if the behavior persists after the driver installation. 

Esteban D.

0 Kudos