Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

2nd monitor not displaying

Runfast
Novice

Laptop: ROG GL552
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU 
Intel HD 530
2nd Monitor: Acer XZ322q

I connected a HDMI cable to my monitor and the 2nd monitor does not display anything. occasionally it will display something for 2 seconds then disappear again. The monitor displays properly during the boot up when the computer is restarted, but not after. The monitor is detected and shown in the properties as working, but nothing is displayed. The monitor itself doesn't enter sleep mode as it sees an input.

All drivers are updated to the latest one. Tested with a different display and worked fine. Tested with other HDMI cables and made no difference. Reinstalled drivers a few times and it made no difference. I did notice if I disable Intel HD 530 and reset the computer, the monitor will display with no issues however it wont be detected as a separate monitor (it will display what my laptop monitor displays). 

I feel like its a compatibility issue but I am in no means a professional.

1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User
The solution is simple: You shouldn't use IDSA on laptops. Most laptop vendors provide their own update tools; you should use that.
If you must use IDSA, you will have to avoid touching the graphics driver. It won't automatically update anything.
...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is a laptop, right? You are running on only (Intel) graphics drivers provided by Asus, right? (hint, hint)

...S

Runfast
Novice

Thought about what you said and realized I switched the HDD to a SSD so I had to reinstall the drivers at some point. Downloaded the original drivers from Asus website and yes, now it works (thanks!). Only thing is I have Intel Driver Support Assistant, and it tells me to update my drivers. Of course if I do I get the blank screen again. The update also seems to remove the HD Graphics Control Panel. 

Is there a way to update it? Is it necessary that I update it? or can I just ignore the update?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
The solution is simple: You shouldn't use IDSA on laptops. Most laptop vendors provide their own update tools; you should use that.
If you must use IDSA, you will have to avoid touching the graphics driver. It won't automatically update anything.
...S
0 Kudos
Runfast
Novice

Alright, thank you very much!

0 Kudos