Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

4K monitor (via Display Port) cuts out when playing video. i7-5775R, Iris Pro Graphics 6200

SGuy0
Beginner

I have a 2 monitor setup. I use the 2450 in portrait mode to display misc stuff like my email client, etc. I use the 43UD79 for work.

Issue: Everything works fine if I play video on the 2450. But as soon as I play video on the 43UD79, the 43UD79 cuts out and goes black. It comes back in 10 seconds or so. It will run for a bit and then cut out again. The 2450 display continues working the entire time.

Everything works fine if I don't run video on the 43UD79.

"Watch sensors" shows CPU temps in the 45C range.

Setup:

Brix Pro i7-5775R with Iris Pro Graphics 6200 integrated GPU.

Fedora 31 Linux, all up to date. KDE desktop manager.

LG43UD79 connected via Display Port.

BenQ GL2450H connected via HDMI.

OpenGL 3.0 Mesa 19.2.4

Kernel module i915

$ uname -a

Linux Brix 5.3.11-300.fc31.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 12 19:08:07 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

SGuy0, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, just to let you now, the graphics drivers available in our web site and that are validated by Intel® were tested using Windows* as the Operating System, they were released to work with that specific Operating System:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

So, since you are working with Fedora 31 Linux, you can always look for an Intel® Graphics driver to install in order to try to fix this problem:

https://01.org/linuxgraphics

Another option as well, will be to submit your inquiry in Linux Forums support for further peer to peer assistance on this matter:

https://www.linux.org/forums/

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
SGuy0
Beginner

The lastest version of the Intel Graphics stack is Q1 2018, almost 2 years ago.

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/stack

It uses Kernel version 4.16 ! I am running 5.3.11. How do you expect me to use that kernel ?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

SGuy0, Thank you very much for providing that information.

In that case, the best thing to do will be to submit your questions in the Linux Forums support, in order to gather further suggestions in there.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
SGuy0
Beginner

How do you know this isn't a hardware problem ? Why do you assume this is a software driver problem ?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

SGuy0, Thank you very much for your response.

In reference to your question, we are not assuming this is a software driver problem, as you mentioned, it could be a hardware problem with Intel® Processor itself.

The thing, in this case, is that the Intel® Graphics drivers we have were validated to work with Windows* so, for us to be able to determine if this is a hardware or software issue we need to test those drivers to confirm that, since the Operating System being used is Fedora 31 Linux that is not a possibility, that is we suggested to submit the inquiry in Linux Forums Support since they might be able to provide more drivers or further recommendations in order to make sure if the problem is related to hardware or software.

We completely understand that you prefer to use Linux as Operating System, if by any chance you have the option to install Windows* in your platform, that will allow us to test the Intel® Graphics drivers and confirm what is the source of the issue, either hardware or software.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello SGuy0, We just wanted to check if you were able to install Windows* on the computer and test it to confirm if the behavior is the same?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
SGuy0
Beginner

I will not install Windows on my computer to test anything.

My next processor will be AMD.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello SGuy0, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

We completely understand your decision to not installing Windows* to do the tests and to keep using Fedora 31.

From our side, for us to be able to confirm if it is a hardware or software issue we need to test the drivers and that will only be possible under a Windows* environment.

Since the Operating System that you are using is Linux based, then in order to get further assistance on this topic the next thing to do will be to visit the Intel® site for Linux support to try to fix this problem:

https://01.org/community

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos