Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

6-Bit Depth on HD Graphics 520 Driver

NWall3
Beginner

Hello,

I've just gotten a new HP Pavilion 15- cs0057od laptop that has an Intel (R) UHD Graphics 620 driver. Unfortunately, the Bit Depth on this driver is set to 6-Bit, which makes it really hard to look at for long periods of time.

I believe it should be 8-Bit. I've tried updating the driver, but the latest version of this driver doesn't resolve the issue.

Any suggestions on how to get 8-Bit color depth on this computer?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello NWallas,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can see that you are having problems with the color depth, you are not getting the option for 8-bit.

Regarding this, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Once we have this, I will have more insight of the system and will be able to diagnose what could be the problem.

I hope to hear from you.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NWall3
Beginner

Hello,

Good to hear from you! Attached is the report.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NWallas,

Thank you for your response.

Please go ahead and try the following driver version:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27199/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-47- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27199/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-47-

You can download the ".zip" file and follow the steps below:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

This is just for testing purposes, once this has been done, I want you to check if the 8-bit option is available or not.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
NWall3
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks for these instructions - I've installed the new driver and re-started the computer. I'm still seeing 6-Bit bit depth in my Advanced Display settings.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NWallas,

We are currently investigating this, however, I would really appreciate if you could provide us with some information, please refer to the thread below and fill out the information:

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Once filled out, please post the information here so we can have more background to work with. Also, I appreciate your time and the feedback you have been providing, all of it is really useful so we can find the best route to find a solution for this.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
NWall3
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

My laptop display is showing 6-Bit bit depth, which makes it hard to read. It should be 8-Bit I believre

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cs0xxxx

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

NO

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

<strong s...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NWallas,

For testing purposes I would like to try another graphics driver version, please refer to the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26772/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88355 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26772/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88355

Donwload the ".zip" file and follow the steps:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

Once done, please try to change the 6-bit color to 8-bit and see if the option is available.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
NWall3
Beginner

Hi David,

This driver caused my screen to black out and not be functional. This forced me to restore windows to be able to utilize the computer, which at the moment is in limbo. The computer at the moment is not usable at all. Suffice to say, this totally failed.

I'm getting very frustrated with this process, we don't seem any closer to a resolution to this issue. While you've been helpful, the solutions you've offered haven't worked, and in fact have made the situation worse.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NWallas,

Up to this point, what I can recommend you to do is to contact the manufacturer (HP) to see if they have a version available for you to use. This is because we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging.

Since we have tried with the version provided directly by Intel ® then the best route now is to contact the manufacturer to check. I also looked through the different posts and see that you mentioned the issue only happens with the laptop's display and not external, it is highly recommended to bring this up to the manufacturer so they can check if there is a problem with the panel itself.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NWallas,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello NWallas,

I would like to provide an update on the latest status of this issue.

I'm happy to report that we finally have a fix for this issue checked-in our latest (internal) driver build. At this point we're just making sure it goes through sufficient quality testing, but it is closer to public release.

The fix should be included in driver build 100.6389 and higher. As soon as I have a release estimate or further news I'll update this thread: .

Once again, thank you for your patience while we worked on this issue.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.