Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

620 HD zoom compatibility problem, regarding virtual backgrounds

SBP00
Novice

Hi

Lately I have been starting to use Zoom for video conferencing like many of us. I wanted to use the virtual background feature that Zoom offers while displaying myself in Zoom.

Generally Zoom will allow you to add a virtual background to your own video image without the need for a green screen. For some reason the Zoom website claims that for those that use the intel 620 HD display adapter this option is not available due to compatibility issues.

It seems like a driver issue. I have a relatively strong machine - HP elitebook 1040 g4 with an i7-7500U processor and 16GB of RAM.

Is there a ( or maybe a future) solution available for this?

Zoom becomes more and more widely used these Corona days. Besides the drawback I experience as a 620 HD user, I believe making Zoom's feature set fully available to such a widely used display adapter is of much importance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hi everyone,

Intel and Zoom* worked together to enable the Zoom Virtual Background feature for millions of people using Intel® UHD Graphics users. This update is available now with the release of Zoom version 5.0.3 and Intel Graphics Drivers 26.20.100.7637 or later.
To provide the best user experience, this virtual background feature is enabled only on systems with intel® UHD Graphics 620 or later.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
102 Replies
rider893
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply.  unfortunately the result of my attempt to run the update  was receiving a dialog box that said "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software"

I have an i7 with 16gb ram and 3TB of available disk space.  Can you suggest any other work around.  Thanks again for your help thus far
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Well, so much for backwards compatibility. Grrrr.
Try this version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27099/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-NUC7i3DN-NUC7i5DN-NUC7i7DN?product=130392. It is for similar 7th gen processor/chipset.
...S
0 Kudos
rider893
Beginner

no joy :(.  just thinking, if i add a new graphics card, could that solve the problem?  Thanks for your insights

0 Kudos
rider893
Beginner

BTW, i ran device manager i found my driver was Intel HD  graphices 4000 dated 8/18  ver 10.18.10.5059

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, that could certainly cause problems.

Help us out - So we can have more accurate information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The latest driver for Intel HD Graphics 4000, v15.33.50.5129, can be downloaded from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29473/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

This thread has been focused on Intel HD Graphics 620 or Intel UHD Graphics 620, and these are the ones that got a fix via Graphics driver update + Zoom application update.

Personally I haven't tested Zoom's Virtual Background functionality with an older graphics controller such as the Intel HD Graphics 4000, but other users may be able to chime in with their feedback. Unfortunately Intel HD Graphics 4000 is no longer supported by Intel, which means Intel won't work on issues appearing on it.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
Joelauri
Beginner

Hello!! I have the same problem with laptop HP 15-bs013dx; Windows 10 64 bits ver. 1909 Compilation 18363.959; Processor Intel I3 7100U; Intel HD 620 graphics driver ver. 26.20.7925 (Feb. 2020); Zoom version 5.1.3 (28656-0709)

If I want to use a virtual background of any kind, my face will get pixeled and lost in it. Can´t unchecked the called "I have a green screen" box.

Please help!! Thanks and regards!!

Joelauri

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi @Joelauri 

Please go ahead and try with our latest generic driver version 27.20.100.8476

If you encounter any issue during the driver installation you can check this site. If the issue persists, I would suggest reporting it to Zoom's support since the fix was confirmed on app version 5.0.3, thus they could get a heads up in case there is a regression introduced with version 5.1.3.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
Joelauri
Beginner

Thanks a lot Ronald for your quickhelp. Solved 80%.!! Will explain: As you recommended removed HP display driver and installed Intel Graphics pack ver 26.20.8476. Kept latest version of Zoom 5.1.3. Improved 80% using Virtual Bacgrounds of different types. To get a real 100% improvement I´ve discovered that your face or my face in this case has to be very well illuminated (direct light). But it is much better than before. Believe Zoom has to work on the way they get mixed background and face.  Many thanks fror your attention, help, and collaboration. Best regards!!

0 Kudos
needhelpplease
Beginner

Ronald - I'm still experiencing this issue and it's definitely on the Intel driver end as I've got the latest version of Zoom installed. Attached are my system and driver details. Please help me asap! I can't believe this is an issue the Intel driver is still having with the Zoom platform and a patch hasn't been setup yet. I'm considering changing the Registry name of HD Graphics 620 to temporarily fix it but can't find the file. My Lenovo laptop is from 2015 but had all the very latest hardware at the time and wasn't cheap so I don't understand what the problem is. Please provide simple instructions as I'm not a programmer and this thread in general is fairly complex.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi @needhelpplease 

Intel and Zoom* worked together to enable the Zoom Virtual Background feature for millions of people using Intel® UHD Graphics users. These are the graphics controllers you can find on 7th generation processors or newer. 

I see from the report attached that your laptop is using Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (4th generation processor). It seems to me this feature won't work on your system, and changing the registry won't do any good as the hardware itself is completely different.

The fix Intel and Zoom released via drivers and app respectively only impacts 7th generation processors and newer. Driver development work on older products is considerably slower by now as we shift focus to newer products, hence I doubt a fix is going to be release specifically for Intel® HD Graphics 4400.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
needhelpplease
Beginner

The fact zoom and intel had to even patch this is insane to me. My graphics card can obviously support it and virtual backgrounds work just fine in Microsoft Teams without a green screen. Would appreciate any advice on how to fix this in Zoom since Intel isn't planning on updating older drivers for it.

0 Kudos
Joelauri
Beginner

Dear Roland and all users: I´ve posted this problem with Zoom Virtual Background and Intel graphics HD 620 on a notebook HP15 with Windows 10 Home 64 bits  before and got a partial solution updating Intel driver to ver. 26.20.100.8476 and Zoom ver. 5.1.3. About 80% improvement in mixing face and background. It gets better if the face is fully illuminated from the front side.

Wrote to Zoom about this situation that affects many users with different computers but same graphic Intel HD 620, but no answer yet.

Discovered that using same combination of hardware and software with Skype from Microsoft mixing face with virtual backgrouns does not show any problem, so I believe Zoom software needs to be fixed or improved or publish its own background images, or else.

It is not an Intel driver problem only. The graphics side only delivers that, graphics. Zoom software has to synchronize both signals from face and background to get a good image.

Now I have Intel driver ver 27.20.100.7990 with Zoom ver. 5.1.3 and can´t use virtual backgrounds, but it works OK with Skype and virtual backgrounds.

Hope this info helps a little bit. Please do some testing with other software apps different from Zoom.

Thanks and regards

Hope

0 Kudos
LonnyBabin
Beginner

I downloaded the latest graphics driver today.  I still get the message that my PC is not capable of having a virtual green screen.  I am running an HP 17.3" Touch with Intel Pentium Gold 6405U with Intel UHD Graphics card.  This solution did not work for me.  What else can I do to get Virtual Green Screen to work on Zoom with this PC?

0 Kudos
Joelauri
Beginner

Just another piece of information: I´ve updated Intel graphics driver HD 620 to ver. 27.20.100.8476 and Zoom to ver. 5.2.1. It does not work with virtual backgrounds, besides Zoom replaced the "Virtual Background " slection on the menu for " Background and Filters" . Still does not allow you to uncheck the "green screen" selection. Like I´ve said before this problem affects a lot of users with different brands of computers. The common point is the combination of the Intel graphics HD 620 and Zoom. But it works OK with Skype and vitual backgrounds. I will not recomend changing registry parameters or else just to use Zoom, it could be that other graphic problems show up. I wrote to Zoom about this problem but got no answer yet. Other point is: Does this problem appear on the Zoom free version only or it shows also in the paid version?? One solution is that Zoom uses any computer with Intel HD 620 to test its software and also they can produce their own virtual backgrounds. Keeping users unhappy is not a good policy for any manufacturer. Thanks and regards

0 Kudos
silo
Beginner

So how can I use zoom virtual backgrounds on my Dell XPS 9360

0 Kudos
Joelauri
Beginner

Hello everybody having a problem using Intel HD 620 and Zoom!! Just for your info I have a laptop HP 15-BS013DX with a processor I3 7th gen. - Windows 10 Home 64 bits - 8GB RAM - Intel driver ver. 27.20.100.7990 - Zoom ver. 5.2.2.

Virtual backgrounds option doesn´t work and if you go to this link https://support.zoom.us/hc/es/articles/210707503-Fondo-virtual and read the pre-requisites that Zoom requires to work the it will never work. Please see attached document. (In Spanish)

It looks that Zoom requires an Intel Processor I5 or higher, plus  if you have Intel 620 graphics then you need to purchase a physical green green background.

This problem doesn't happen using my laptop with Skype or Teams and virtual background. 

Wrote to Zoom technical support but never got an answer.

It looks that I will have to use another application.

Hope it helps a little bit. Please let me know if any of you have a solution.

Thanks and regards

0 Kudos
math-tutor
Beginner

As a related issue, does anyone know if all this confusion goes for the HD 615 that my laptop has?  I have an i5 Y-series, and when using zoom i've noticed in the task manager that the gpu encode/decode isn't being utilized at all even for video without background, which is why i went searching for this thread.

My understanding is that the difference between the HD 620 and HD 615 isn't tremendous because they started with the same generation of processors.

0 Kudos