Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

[9024844] Custom resolution not working

RCarl6
New Contributor I

I emailed Intel Customer Support Service and they refer me to this forum because the agent say it will have the correct exposure to intel engineering department. (request # 8001214860)

The problem is Intel Graphics driver for HD 4600 (and presumably others too) have a broken custom resolution for Built in LCD. No matter what setting you put into it, it will always custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

I tested it on many different laptop with eDP (embedded displayport) like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34 and they all say custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

To establish the fact that bandwidth is not the problem, I tried creating a custom resolution at native res (1920x1080) at 59Hz (default is 60Hz) and it says custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity. To test it further I downscale the resolution to 1600x900 @ 59Hz and it still gives the error so I conclude the problem is with the driver itself.

I tried the oldest and newest driver from the OEM and the one on Intel website and they are all broken.

The problem is NOT ISOLATED on a laptop model or a manufacturer but the Intel Graphics driver itself.

In fact if you verify the problem by testing it on ANY laptop that has an Intel graphics and try to create a custom resolution that is 1Hz less than native (like 59Hz) and it will give you the same error.

So why does it matter? Almost every single gaming laptop that is being released are NVIDIA Optimus Enabled (Hybrid Graphics where Intel Graphics is handling the display) and it prevents people from changing the refresh rate of the display. As an example the LCD panel found on Asus G751JM-BHI7T25 uses LG LP156WF4 SPL1 which is the exact same panel found on Asus G751JY that comes at 75Hz by default, but we cannot change the refresh rate due to broken Intel Custom Resolution even though the LCD panel itself is more than capable to handle it.

Refresh rate is a huge feature as evident on monitors getting released (like BenQ XL2430T, Asus ROG Swift, Acer Predator, etc...) and if you ask any gamer that has tried a high refresh rate monitor they will tell you how much big of a difference it is and because of this issue, any gaming laptop that has Hybrid graphics (Intel Graphics enabled) is a HUGE deal breaker.

[Edit by Bryce@Intel]: Changed title to reflect investigation bug# and title.

Old title: Intel driver is completely broken (custom resolution)

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

[Edit 10/08/18] *This change to unlock the drivers to allow 3rd party apps to function is checked into all branches of drivers, which means all 'latest' drivers are unlocked. The drivers below are simply the first driver in each branch that were unlocked. Please download the latest driver for your platform, or you can use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html iDSA to automatically detect what driver updates are available for your system.

Happy Friday/Saturday all,

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
269 Replies
JZuid
Novice

On my Intel HD Graphics 4600 powered Optimus laptop, I don't use custom resolutions, but I can't scale games to get rid of black bars for the life of me due to an issue that hasn't even really been confirmed as an ACTUAL issue yet.

Intel / nVidia have a lot of work to do regardless, so you are not alone in your struggles.

However, regarding your specific issue, I'm 99% positive its been reproduced and is being worked on.

0 Kudos
RCarl6
New Contributor I

How did you come to the conclusion that the custom resolution problem is being worked on? Did an Intel engineer or representative specifically acknowledge the issue and promised a fix?

A quick google search shows this issue has exist for multiple years now.

Every single result I saw Intel blaming the specific laptop model or manufacturer for the custom resolution problem which doesn't make any sense because It doesn't matter what laptop model or manufacturer you are using as the Intel driver itself (oldest and newest) have broken Custom Resolution for built in display.

The feature never ever work and will always give an error "custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity" which doesn't make any sense as if that was the case then you should be able to set a custom resolution at native res - 1Hz (59Hz) for the built in display but it still will not work on ANY laptop that has Intel Graphics.

0 Kudos
JZuid
Novice

I'm not positive but I'm almost sure someone else here has posted regarding custom resolutions and it's been said that it's being worked on. Regardless it's not going to work until Intel updates their drivers.

0 Kudos
RCarl6
New Contributor I

So you are making an assumption that Intel has responded to the issue?

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

xtinct16

Doing a quick search, I see a few threads on this have been posted before. Many of the laptops deal with Switchable Graphics and there can be issues related to mode switching. Alternately, OEM's can customize the vBIOS or drivers to limit resolutions/bitrate either to fix/prevent issues. Have you uninstalled the Intel driver completely and seen the failure? If so, this could mean a MSFT issue or vBIOS customization. I'm not saying we're not at fault, I just don't have enough information to go on. Please review the sticky on the main Graphics page for Default Information When Filing an Issue and provide the answers/attachments here. Once you provide that I'll get someone to try and replicate what you're seeing. Thanks for providing this feedback!

.:Bryce:.

RCarl6
New Contributor I

Intel HD Graphics Control Panel is the ONLY way to create a custom resolution and uninstalling the whole thing makes no difference. I also tried BOTH the Intel Graphics driver from the OEM and the one from Intel Website and it makes no difference. I also tried different operating system (Windows 7, 8.1 and 10) and they all have the exact same problem with custom resolution.

I am more than 100% sure it is NOT ISOLATED to a specific laptop model or a manufacturer as I have tried it on many different laptop from different manufacturer (like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34) with and without switchable graphics.

In fact the FASTEST and EASIEST WAY to VERIFY the problem is try to create a custom resolution for built-in LCD via Intel HD Graphics Control Panel on ANY laptop that has Intel graphics (it doesn't matter if it has switchable graphics or what sku it is e.g. HD 4600), it will always say "custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity" which doesn't make any sense especially if you try a lower setting like at native resolution (1920x1080) and 59Hz (1hz less than original which is 60Hz).

The feature Custom Resolutions for Built-In Display is completely broken and has never ever worked on any laptop or driver version.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

Custom Resolutions for Built-In Display is completely broken and has never ever worked on any laptop or driver version. it will always say "custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity" which doesn't make any sense especially if you try a lower setting like at native resolution (1920x1080) and 59Hz (1hz less than original which is 60Hz) or even downscaling the resolution which should lessen the bandwidth requirements. The problem NOT ISOLATED to a specific laptop model or a manufacturer as I have tried it on many different laptop from different manufacturer (like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34) with and without switchable graphics.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

It doesn't matter what laptop brand or model but for reference the laptops Ive tried are listed above

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Tried with laptop that has switchable graphics and no switchable graphics but same problem with custom resolution

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in) 

LFP = Local Flat Panel

For reference my Asus G751JM uses LP156WF4 SPL1 which is connected via eDP (embedded displayport) which is also the exact same panel found on Asus G751JY that comes at 75Hz stock so the hardware is more than capable of changing refresh rate.

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

It doesn't matter but I tried with different laptop models from 4GB to 24GB/

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable ty...

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi xtinct16

We were able to replicate this and a bug record is being filed today [9024844]. Issue will then progress to the debug queue. I'll update bug record # when it's available and circle back with updates as they come. Thanks!

0 Kudos
RCarl6
New Contributor I

Thanks for the reply!

Can you also add timing settings (such as CVT reduced blank, manual, etc...) for the built-in display?

Hopefully you guys won't put a limit especially on custom refresh rate setting.

Majority of laptop LCD can handle at the very least 70Hz without frame skipping and it makes a huge difference.

High refresh rate monitors are becoming extremely popular among gamers and it is very evident as desktop monitor manufacturers are announcing high refresh rates (some even do 165Hz or even 200Hz) monitors.

0 Kudos
ZSaun
Novice

I can also comment on this, all of my laptops also have this issue and I have been waiting a long time for this to be fixed so I can push higher refresh rates to my screens. Asus UX303LN, Clevo W230SS, are the two machines that I have and cannot set higher refresh rates. How long do you think we will have to wait for this to be fixed? Even a very vague estimate would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

xtinct16

I added your additional info to the investigation record.

ZacharyS

There's no way to tell or estimate time to resolve something until we know what the root cause is. Too many factors involved. As soon as I know something I'll update back here though.

0 Kudos
ZSaun
Novice

Alright no problem, Just happy to finally see progress on this even if it's nothing big yet

Also if you need anything tested out let me know because I have a few systems that this issue applies to.

0 Kudos
gbhj
New Contributor I

the display resolution can be changed in the Registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Hardware Profiles\UnitedVideo\CONTROL\VIDEO

at boot the driver performs a number of checks Latency Checks ,Estimate Display Bandwidth, Estimate Base Platform Bandwidth and Estimate Video Bandwidth

setting a resolution higher than the Bandwidth the GPU supports will cause the driver to revert to the default resolution

when the Intel driver detects an Nvidia or AMD GPU it enables the dedicated GPU to perform all the rendering and use the Intel GPU just to push the image to be displayed https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn265501%28v=vs.85%29.aspx Rendering on a discrete GPU using cross-adapter resources (Windows Drivers)

there are also additional settings that can be found here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So is this the way, right now, that i can change to a higher resolution on my optimus laptop and the refresh rate too? Have you tried it?

0 Kudos
HBela
New Contributor I

That, at least for me, didn't work.

And even if it worked, the method is way too difficult just to get a custom resolution to the final consumer.

0 Kudos
gbhj
New Contributor I

you have to restart the video driver for the changes to take effect however if the resolution displays bandwith error then the driver wont allow that resolution to be used

this application does simplify the setting of custom resolution

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Doesnt work, and cru doesn't work for intel graphics as specified by the cru creator

0 Kudos
KS_
New Contributor I

Neither of those two things you said work, hundreds of people are saying they don't work and I am too.

0 Kudos
FLast22
Beginner

so where is the 4th gen driver for Windows 10??

0 Kudos
kd
Beginner

computationalprince

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26504/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Test Driver (old version)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26623/Intel-Graphics-Test-Driver?v=t Download Intel® Graphics Test Driver (new version)

Both are compatible with haswell on win 10 & broadwell on win 7/8/10. (I tested the first driver linked on broadwell, win8 and can confirm it works. Didn't test the second one)

0 Kudos
RCarl6
New Contributor I

Hi is there any update to the issue?

If so is there any plans to fix it in the near future?

0 Kudos