Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

[9024844] Custom resolution not working

RCarl6
New Contributor I

I emailed Intel Customer Support Service and they refer me to this forum because the agent say it will have the correct exposure to intel engineering department. (request # 8001214860)

The problem is Intel Graphics driver for HD 4600 (and presumably others too) have a broken custom resolution for Built in LCD. No matter what setting you put into it, it will always custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

I tested it on many different laptop with eDP (embedded displayport) like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34 and they all say custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

To establish the fact that bandwidth is not the problem, I tried creating a custom resolution at native res (1920x1080) at 59Hz (default is 60Hz) and it says custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity. To test it further I downscale the resolution to 1600x900 @ 59Hz and it still gives the error so I conclude the problem is with the driver itself.

I tried the oldest and newest driver from the OEM and the one on Intel website and they are all broken.

The problem is NOT ISOLATED on a laptop model or a manufacturer but the Intel Graphics driver itself.

In fact if you verify the problem by testing it on ANY laptop that has an Intel graphics and try to create a custom resolution that is 1Hz less than native (like 59Hz) and it will give you the same error.

So why does it matter? Almost every single gaming laptop that is being released are NVIDIA Optimus Enabled (Hybrid Graphics where Intel Graphics is handling the display) and it prevents people from changing the refresh rate of the display. As an example the LCD panel found on Asus G751JM-BHI7T25 uses LG LP156WF4 SPL1 which is the exact same panel found on Asus G751JY that comes at 75Hz by default, but we cannot change the refresh rate due to broken Intel Custom Resolution even though the LCD panel itself is more than capable to handle it.

Refresh rate is a huge feature as evident on monitors getting released (like BenQ XL2430T, Asus ROG Swift, Acer Predator, etc...) and if you ask any gamer that has tried a high refresh rate monitor they will tell you how much big of a difference it is and because of this issue, any gaming laptop that has Hybrid graphics (Intel Graphics enabled) is a HUGE deal breaker.

[Edit by Bryce@Intel]: Changed title to reflect investigation bug# and title.

Old title: Intel driver is completely broken (custom resolution)

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

[Edit 10/08/18] *This change to unlock the drivers to allow 3rd party apps to function is checked into all branches of drivers, which means all 'latest' drivers are unlocked. The drivers below are simply the first driver in each branch that were unlocked. Please download the latest driver for your platform, or you can use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html iDSA to automatically detect what driver updates are available for your system.

Happy Friday/Saturday all,

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
269 Replies
BSchm3
Beginner

any news on this? takes too long to fix this...

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

We are still working on this matter.

Just a reminder; Intel released the latest graphics driver for HD 4600 on 03/08/16 available in the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25860/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

I encourage you to give a try.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
ccLic1
Novice

"NEW FEATURES: None

KEY ISSUES FIXED: [Nothing relevant]."

Welp. Still, thanks for letting us know I guess.

Edit: Our issue isn't even acknowledged under "Known issues" in the release notes.

0 Kudos
jsmit671
Novice

The problem is still present in the latest version win64_154018.4380.

0 Kudos
WKirt
Beginner

So basicly What i have found:

1. This problem is around more than 3 years on all types of laptops MSI, Dell, Lenovo, lists goes on. Even Alienware 980GTX Sli Superclocked gets "your computer is too weak" when trying to run Dead space 3 or Battlefield 3

2. It is caused by Intel HD drivers.

3. When you remove your Intel hd drivers your monitor instantly goes from 48hertz to 68hertz with stock windows drivers (under screen resolution>advance >monitor) but you cant play that way games cause u need intel hd driver to manage GF workforce.

4. When you conect other monitor Over HDMI your primary(laptop) monitor instantly goes from 48hertz to 68hertz.

5. Nobody i know or spoke have EVER seen intel HD custom resolution in action. Leads me to believe Custom resolution ADD button leads to some notepad file:"EXCEED BANDWITH" and there is no software behind it thats why its hard to fix

6. In Intel HD Graphic control panel System information you can see list of resolutions supported by your monitor. It says:"0X1107 0p hz" On those ground and on a thing that custom resolution does not work i filed i request to my retailer to fix those issues withing a rational amount of time(3 months in my country) or return money with original market value.

I got my money back even know my laptop was year old. Now i bought new laptop more expensive laptop with same money with intel HD and if the issue is not resolved i will return this one back after year and get my money back with original market price and buy another one This way i keep my laptops up to date for free thx to broken Intel software. Its totaly legal in my country. Fix problems or suffer the consequences.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Wygo,

I regret for the inconvenience; Intel is improving the quality of its products every day. Hopefully next graphics drivers complies with your expectation.

Regards,

Mike C
KS_
New Contributor I

Hello everyone,

I have always wanted to be an Intel employee. I was just wondering what clown school Intel employees usually attend so I can graduate from it and hopefully get a job at Intel?

Thanks.

EP
New Contributor I

Well guys I think Intel has made it very clear in the 2 threads I've been following this issue in that they have no intention of fixing this issue and will continue to drag their feet. Our only option are to either buy a laptop that doesn't utilize optimus and thus does not use Intel graphics are all, get a laptop that has a switching option built into the laptop, or and I think this is the best option, get a laptop that uses an AMD CPU. AMD is about to drop their Zen CPUs and I really hope they put a beating on Intel badly. They will most likely be cheaper than Intel, and they don't block users from fully utilizing their displays to their full potential. For example Intel's drivers force my laptop to 60hz, even though this exact model is rated for 75hz and even used as a g-sync display on laptops that don't have optimus. Its time to hang our hats and move to AMD. Do not recommend Intel CPU based laptops or desktops to anyone. After years of loyalty to Intel chips, I am heading back to AMD next gen. Its been a long time (since my old Operton 185) but I think there is a reason why competition needs to exist. Can't wait for the next CPUs so I can sell this steaming pile.

mmell1
Novice

im sure intel doesn't give a fuck

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Intel is interested to provide with the best customer experience on our products. Each new graphics version and drivers improve display resolution and add new features. Please be patient.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
PCons1
New Contributor I

I learned yesterday that the intel advanced custom resolutions mode forces integer values. If you edit various values, the boxes in gray will change the pixel clock to ensure that the scan rate is always an integer value with no decimal places. This means you cannot enter decimal places for refresh rate that you can with nvidia or amd. IE. If manually editing custom lines, it is possible to get 59.00 and 60.00 hz but not 59.94 as an example.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The feature doesn't work. It never has. Switch to linux for your media needs (it works properly) or ditch Intel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Oh shut up, what utter nonsense.

People have been waiting patiently on the Custom Resolution driver bug for five years.

Five. Years.

Lame, dude.

0 Kudos
WKirt
Beginner

How do u "DITCH" intel...?

I one could "ditch" intel one would have done that long time ago.

0 Kudos
MBust2
Beginner

Seems useless to do this but, like so many others, I've created an account just to state that this issue needs to be fixed. Five yeras later you still can't set up a simple custom resolution? I had to purchase an entirely new laptop because Intel decided to not produce Win10 drivers for my old one, causing random and horrible checkerboards to appear on my screen. Now I find out that, due to Intel, I can't use my new $700 monitor? This is some total BS.

0 Kudos
JWong24
Novice

Any updates on this ? A response would be much appreciated.

I mean, its been a while.

0 Kudos
ccLic1
Novice

We're talking to a brick wall, we're being f-n laughed at. I'm done with Intel since quite a while ago. Small steps, but I've already saved a business owner friend the hassle of having to deal with their sh-.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Okay all,

I have an unlocked driver to test.

Who wants to be my guinea pig? It requires you to be well adept at using CRU. If you consider yourself well versed in CRU and are willing to test a driver with it, please PM me. I am looking for 3 people.

JWong24
Novice

OH MY GOD THEY DELIVERED PEOPLE!

I don't know about you guys but; I ain't good with CRU and all but PLEASE someone *or should I say 3* take one for the team and get this thing GOING!

It's been too long !

Also, thanks Intel people for responding !

EP
New Contributor I

Bryce I sent you an PM on this unlocked driver. I have been following this case for a long time now. Hoping I can help out in anyway. I realize it's a custom unlocked driver and I have no issues if it causes instability obviously. Just looking to help out in any way.

0 Kudos