Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20596 Discussions

[9024844] Custom resolution not working

RCarl6
New Contributor I

I emailed Intel Customer Support Service and they refer me to this forum because the agent say it will have the correct exposure to intel engineering department. (request # 8001214860)

The problem is Intel Graphics driver for HD 4600 (and presumably others too) have a broken custom resolution for Built in LCD. No matter what setting you put into it, it will always custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

I tested it on many different laptop with eDP (embedded displayport) like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34 and they all say custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

To establish the fact that bandwidth is not the problem, I tried creating a custom resolution at native res (1920x1080) at 59Hz (default is 60Hz) and it says custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity. To test it further I downscale the resolution to 1600x900 @ 59Hz and it still gives the error so I conclude the problem is with the driver itself.

I tried the oldest and newest driver from the OEM and the one on Intel website and they are all broken.

The problem is NOT ISOLATED on a laptop model or a manufacturer but the Intel Graphics driver itself.

In fact if you verify the problem by testing it on ANY laptop that has an Intel graphics and try to create a custom resolution that is 1Hz less than native (like 59Hz) and it will give you the same error.

So why does it matter? Almost every single gaming laptop that is being released are NVIDIA Optimus Enabled (Hybrid Graphics where Intel Graphics is handling the display) and it prevents people from changing the refresh rate of the display. As an example the LCD panel found on Asus G751JM-BHI7T25 uses LG LP156WF4 SPL1 which is the exact same panel found on Asus G751JY that comes at 75Hz by default, but we cannot change the refresh rate due to broken Intel Custom Resolution even though the LCD panel itself is more than capable to handle it.

Refresh rate is a huge feature as evident on monitors getting released (like BenQ XL2430T, Asus ROG Swift, Acer Predator, etc...) and if you ask any gamer that has tried a high refresh rate monitor they will tell you how much big of a difference it is and because of this issue, any gaming laptop that has Hybrid graphics (Intel Graphics enabled) is a HUGE deal breaker.

[Edit by Bryce@Intel]: Changed title to reflect investigation bug# and title.

Old title: Intel driver is completely broken (custom resolution)

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

[Edit 10/08/18] *This change to unlock the drivers to allow 3rd party apps to function is checked into all branches of drivers, which means all 'latest' drivers are unlocked. The drivers below are simply the first driver in each branch that were unlocked. Please download the latest driver for your platform, or you can use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html iDSA to automatically detect what driver updates are available for your system.

Happy Friday/Saturday all,

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
269 Replies
EP
New Contributor I

Also I am well versed with CRU. Used it extensively in the past.

0 Kudos
NDang1
Novice

Hey Bryce,

I pmed you to test out the unlocked driver.

0 Kudos
JFS
Beginner

I also want the unlocked drivers please...

0 Kudos
ZSaun
Novice

Hey Bryce,

Can you check your PMs thanks!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Bryce will be answering you in the next days.

Mike C

0 Kudos
NDang1
Novice
0 Kudos
EP
New Contributor I

Thanks Mike. I hoping to hear from Bryce soon!

0 Kudos
ZSaun
Novice

Thank you, look forward to hearing from Bryce and seeing what we can do with this driver. I have already prepared a few systems and sent him the specifications so hopefully we hear back soon.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Holy crap, how do I get this driver?

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

I'm getting some things cleared up with the developer first. I'll follow up quickly with them and circle back to you. Appreciate your patience and apologies for the delay.

ZSaun
Novice

Thanks Bryce, Any ETA? I keep updating this webpage every 30 minutes lol...

0 Kudos
NDang1
Novice

Same here, I can't wait for this issue to be resolved.

0 Kudos
EP
New Contributor I

Thanks for the update Bryce. Like the others have said I've been updating my email every hour or so over the last week. I've been waiting for years, I think I can handle waiting a little longer.

KWils3
Beginner
0 Kudos
mmell1
Novice

Been waiting since February for this fix, good to see there is only a few years left.

Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

The delay was around some confusion about the code. My tech tested it several times and was unable to get it to work.

But great news, I've been able to verify it as working now by some other folks, not sure what my tech was doing wrong, so I'm pushing through the code changes and should have a target date soon for you. Stay tuned...

EP
New Contributor I

Excellent news Bryce! Looking forward to the driver and updates. Thank you for doing all you've done to get this driver from user wishes to an actual working product.

0 Kudos
JGro
Beginner

this is relevant to that other thread . If the issue with CRU can be resolved many people wont be needing the EDID override anymore ( albeit it would still be nice to have )

0 Kudos
DCris3
Novice

I have been eagerly waiting for this driver's progress, but no communication has been made so far with us. All i do is check this page every day because i really want to use my 75hz displays.

JGro
Beginner

envy30 wrote:

All i do is check this page every day

same here

0 Kudos