Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

[9024844] Custom resolution not working

RCarl6
New Contributor I

I emailed Intel Customer Support Service and they refer me to this forum because the agent say it will have the correct exposure to intel engineering department. (request # 8001214860)

The problem is Intel Graphics driver for HD 4600 (and presumably others too) have a broken custom resolution for Built in LCD. No matter what setting you put into it, it will always custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

I tested it on many different laptop with eDP (embedded displayport) like Alienware 17, Asus G751JM, Asus Q551LN, Lenovo Y50-70, Razer Blade 14, MSI GT60 Dominator Pro, and Gigabyte P34 and they all say custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity.

To establish the fact that bandwidth is not the problem, I tried creating a custom resolution at native res (1920x1080) at 59Hz (default is 60Hz) and it says custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity. To test it further I downscale the resolution to 1600x900 @ 59Hz and it still gives the error so I conclude the problem is with the driver itself.

I tried the oldest and newest driver from the OEM and the one on Intel website and they are all broken.

The problem is NOT ISOLATED on a laptop model or a manufacturer but the Intel Graphics driver itself.

In fact if you verify the problem by testing it on ANY laptop that has an Intel graphics and try to create a custom resolution that is 1Hz less than native (like 59Hz) and it will give you the same error.

So why does it matter? Almost every single gaming laptop that is being released are NVIDIA Optimus Enabled (Hybrid Graphics where Intel Graphics is handling the display) and it prevents people from changing the refresh rate of the display. As an example the LCD panel found on Asus G751JM-BHI7T25 uses LG LP156WF4 SPL1 which is the exact same panel found on Asus G751JY that comes at 75Hz by default, but we cannot change the refresh rate due to broken Intel Custom Resolution even though the LCD panel itself is more than capable to handle it.

Refresh rate is a huge feature as evident on monitors getting released (like BenQ XL2430T, Asus ROG Swift, Acer Predator, etc...) and if you ask any gamer that has tried a high refresh rate monitor they will tell you how much big of a difference it is and because of this issue, any gaming laptop that has Hybrid graphics (Intel Graphics enabled) is a HUGE deal breaker.

[Edit by Bryce@Intel]: Changed title to reflect investigation bug# and title.

Old title: Intel driver is completely broken (custom resolution)

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

[Edit 10/08/18] *This change to unlock the drivers to allow 3rd party apps to function is checked into all branches of drivers, which means all 'latest' drivers are unlocked. The drivers below are simply the first driver in each branch that were unlocked. Please download the latest driver for your platform, or you can use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html iDSA to automatically detect what driver updates are available for your system.

Happy Friday/Saturday all,

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
269 Replies
kd
Beginner

It seems internal (eDP) panels are limited to a 240MHz pixel clock - add a custom resolution via CRU that exceeds 240MHz pixel clock and it wont show up.

Chances are your 95hz overclock comes in just under 240MHz, which is why anything above that doesn't show up.

- I reduced the timings in CRU and managed to get my laptop stable at 104hz (236MHz, eDP, skylake HD530 windows 7), up from the 65hz I mentioned earlier, confirmed workss.

- I also overclocked an external 1440p monitor to 75hz via CRU over HDMI 1.3, confirmed works.

- I also was able to add a custom resolution of 1584p60 to an external 4K monitor via HDMI 1.3 (doesn't support 4k60), confirmed works - this comes in right under the pixel clock limit for HDMI 1.3 (by like 0.01MHz LOL) and is a noticeable resolution boost over 1440p. To do this I had to use the built in intel tool, CRU didn't work but intel's control panel did for some reason. This was the only case where intel's built in tool was useful.

- Also I overclocked my friend's new hp pavillion x360 with kaby lake on Windows 10 and it hit 96hz easy with no adjustments (239MHz, eDP, HD620 Win10), confirmed works.

100% success rate so far.

Both the laptops that hit 96hz+ were eDP 1080p LG Phillips IPS panels (15" & 13") so this isn't a widely representative result, but I'm surprised to see that the drivers aren't even working for some people.

0 Kudos
cbran5
Beginner

My laptop display (LGD046F) max hz is 63hz. How do you reduce the timings?

0 Kudos
kd
Beginner

http://s7.postimg.org/dq0untsor/screenshot_2017_03_21.png http://s7.postimg.org/dq0untsor/screenshot_2017_03_21.png

Literally just change them one at a time and see if it helps with stability.

No guarantees.

For example, reducing vertical column values (especially back porch) helped increase stability for me.

0 Kudos
cbran5
Beginner

thanks, not even with halving the resolution to 960x540 makes it go beyond 63hz, I guess this panel isnt suited for overclocking

0 Kudos
ALy
Beginner

I have a lenovo y700, i5 6300hq hd 530 with gtx 960m, and I installed the beta driver as Bryce suggested ( 21.20.16.4614 ) and I still can't overclock my monitor, I use cru and set a custom resolution to 65hz, then restart, and the only thing that shows up in windows is 60hz or 59 hz. Whereas If I revert back to an older driver, set a custom resolution and restart, I only see 60hz, it still doesn't work, for me atleast.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello all,

The official Production Version containing this for 6th & 7th Gen is now available. I updated the 'Answer' with the link as well.

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

0 Kudos
EDela1
Beginner

Is there any update about 3rd gen support. specifically hd 4000 thanks.

0 Kudos
RRaj5
Beginner

Bryce,

Thanks for the update.

any dates for when the support will be availalbe for the 4th gen.

i have i7-4720 hq with intel hd 4600 graphics

0 Kudos
CHuan58
Beginner

Hi Guys,

I have a AOC 4k monitor u2879vf connected to my DELL Precision M3800 as a 2nd monitor.

U2879vf can handle 3840x2160 60phz. However, I can only get 30Phz on this resolution. When I try add a custom resolution, it says "exceed maximum bandwidth". I have tried to install the beta driver, however, it still won't allow me to add 60Phz.

The below is my EDID information. Please let me know if 60Phz can be added. Thanks a lot!!!

0 Kudos
kd
Beginner

You can't do 4k 60hz because there's not enough bandwidth.

4k60 is only possible on HDMI 2.0 or displayport. There is no way you're going to overclock a

Google it first man.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hello all,

The official Production Version containing this for 4th & 5th Gen is now available. I updated the 'Answer' with the link as well.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

0 Kudos
TSuda1
Beginner

So no 3rd generation support planned?

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi Dodgexander

2nd and 3rd Generation processors are end of life so no new code changes are planned.

0 Kudos
DRosa2
Beginner

I downloaded and installed the latest driver. The "custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity" error still appears when I try to add a custom resolution (1024x768@75Hz) via the Intel Control Panel. I also tried the CRU method, but it still doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi djdelarosa25

Please use the new discussion space to get help from others about proper settings to get your config to work.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

0 Kudos
NewDave
Beginner

My monitor is completely hosed. HELP HOW DO FORCE RESTART ALL DISPLAY SETTINGS THAT INTEL DISPLAY CONTROL RUINED? 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@NewDave You have provided no information in a response to a 3-year old thread.  Start a new thread, and provide the proper information. 

0 Kudos