Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

Søren
Beginner

My pc     intel nuc  NUC9i9QNX1 Ghost Canyon - Core i9-9980HK

after update and Thunderbolt FW Update for the Intel NUC9QN-Version 60

update bios i got new error i can not figure out afkan in help with it  a usb driver error

Windows has stopped the device as it has reported errors. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

Unknown USB device (device description request failed)

Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&1c4020e3&0&4 was configured.

Driver Name: usb.inf
Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.488
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: BADDEVICE.Dev.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0000
Matching Device Id: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE
Outranked Drivers: usb.inf:USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE:00FF2000
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\VID_1C04&PID_2074\MSFT200000000A659E

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Søren

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you, could you please confirm the following information?

1- Just to make sure we understand correctly, is this an issue only with the USB Type-C ports (Thunderbolt* ports)? Or is an issue (also) with the regular USB ports (USB Type-A ports)?

2- We noticed you mentioned you updated the "Thunderbolt FW and BIOS". Just for clarification, did the issue started after you installed the Thunderbolt™ 3 Firmware Update Tool for NUC9QN version 60 or after you installed the BIOS? If this issue started after updating the BIOS, please confirm the BIOS version you installed.

3- Besides the error in Device Manager, what is the behavior with this issue? For instance, are you unable to connected devices to the USB ports? Are the devices not detected? etc. Please provide details.

4- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Note: Since this is regarding an Intel® NUC device, we are moving the thread to the Intel® NUCs Forum so it can get answered more quickly.

0 Kudos
Søren
Beginner

yes only USB 3-C / Thunderbolt all drivers say ok I can easily connect a hard drive on USB-C at full speed can move data by 700 Mb

i had the same problem right from the start it does not help to Firmware Update / Update BIOS

the small drive error it disappeared after i took all the usb off and put on again

the problem I only have now is that I can not get my core to run via display / USB-3C / Thunderbolt

has ordered a new cable 1 × USB-C 3.1 til Displayport 1.4 kabel - 8K

BIOS Update QXCFL579.0063.2021.0526.1202

EC FW VERSION 12.0.72.1757

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Søren

Thank you for your response and for all the details.

After checking this further and also after reviewing your profile, we noticed that you have open two additional threads describing the same Thunderbolt/USB-C problems and the same environment (hardware-software):

1. Community thread: Help Intel NUC9i9QNX1 Ghost Canyon - Core i9-9980HK - B
  2. Community thread: issue with the USB-C Thunderbolt 3 ports not providing signal

In addition, we noticed in one of those threads that you mentioned that the "No display video signal issue" with the Thunderbolt™ USB-C ports was solved after switching to new cables.

Having said that, since only one thread is allowed for the same issue and in order to avoid duplication of efforts, we will there close this thread. We recommend continue working through your original thread, for instance: Help Intel NUC9i9QNX1 Ghost Canyon - Core i9-9980HK - B. We kindly recommend that you reply directly in that thread instead of creating new threads for new replies.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos