Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20709 Discussions

After Windows 10 Upgrade: Display driver stopped responding and has recovered: Display driver Intel HD graphics drivers for Windows 8(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

TGrah1
Novice

Computer is Dell M3800 w i7 & Intel 4600, 16GRAM, 256SSD.

Computer also has nVIDIA driver that can be selectively used. I rarely use it - default is the 4600 card.

I use Dell 3000 USB docking station that uses DisplayLink for multiple monitor support. I get the error whether I'm docked or not.

No problems in Windows 7

Upgraded to Windows 10.

*** Problem: System 'freezes' then I get a notification that the display driver has stopped and then recovered. *** This happens randomly with a frequency about every hour or so.

Upgraded driver through Dell Website (along with BIOS and other drivers). Problem still exists.

Upgraded driver through Device Manager. Problem still exists.

Downloaded latest drivers from Intel website. Uninstalled the previously installed driver. Installed the Intel driver. Install warns that the driver is older than the existing drivers. I installed anyway. Problem still exists.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25150/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit Download Intel® Iris™, Iris™ Pro, and HD Graphics Production Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit

Upgraded driver through Device Manager. Problem still exists.

Please tell me you have a solution to this. I've looked at other forum entries for this and haven't seen a definitive solution. I'm about to revert back to Windows 7.

Thanks!

135 Replies
WKane1
Novice

Has anyone really found a fix or is the most we can expect from Intel is what has been posted so far.... No real answers

0 Kudos
KShal
Novice

Turn off Intel Graphics and use only AMD/Nvidia video card if you have it. Or downgrade to Win 7/8.1 if you can.

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Hi All,

I think the real problem with all Graphic Drivers, being put out, is that they are creating packages for most all lines of Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 into one package and they aren't Beta-Testing the Distribution of the Graphics, to see that the Drivers are installing correctly or as designed. Many crashes are random. It appears to be more of a timing issue then anything else with Intel. Nvidia Graphics is causing a Blue Screen, randomly. Windows 10 is much faster than Windows 7.

Bottom Line, I think they packaged the Errors saying one thing for All versions of Windows, regardless of the version, one is using. Mine says Windows 8.1, and 8.1 Windows was never installed on this laptop. It went from Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Service Pack 1 to Windows 10 Home Core 64-Bit.

0 Kudos
WKane1
Novice

I have the issue with the upgrade of Win7 64k pro to win10 64k pro and have seen the issue getting worse with each win10 update. I'm sure Intel or the various company's supplying software and hardware are simply hoping this issue will go away. the cost to correct the problem if it is in hardware would be expensive and unless Microsoft steps up and actually does something it will only get worse. Why the PC manufacturers are not jumping up and down on these company's is hard to understand. With the quantity of pc's and customers complaining about this issue it is hard to understand why it continues. Posting on Microsoft's support site is useless. All that is suggested is to reload the OS or various updates. Until the bottom line is affected they will continue to ignore the problem.

The sad thing is this was not an issue before the win10 upgrade on any PC. Telling users to "downgrade" or post a screen shot of the problem is another stall. My company currently has over 300k laptops and is very very close to looking at a software and hardware solutions that avoid Intel and Microsoft. It's easy to specify AMD and Unix. Although less compatible with some software Apps , pushed it becomes something easier and easier.

I received the error 3 times just doing this post.

0 Kudos
IBara3
Novice

Hello tsac, fedinspector here. As I said in earlier posts, I am no computer guru, but I am a consumer who expects to get what I paid for. I purchased this lap top because it carried the Intel name on it's processor. I purchased the latest I7 6 Gen processor because of the good name of Intel and I expect it to work for years. I don't expect to see my screen vibrate, pixelate and act in an unstable way. I am troubled that this problem seems to be industry wide affecting all makes of computers that have Intel processors and running Windows Operating Systems.

Interestingly enough, a good friend of mine just retired from Intel in Folsom CA. I ran this issue past him and he explained to me that this issue has been known by Intel for quite a while, implying years! He suggested that I email Brian Krzanich, Intel CEO and include a copy of this community post. He also told me that he knows Mr. Krzanich would demand answers and get them. I hesitated because I am one person, but you, with a company that has 300K laptops, that's what I call push! The reality is that is not an isolated problem and is happening throughout the country if not the world. I myself am ready to switch to a MAC. The email address for Mr. Krzanich is mailto:Brian.Krzanich@intel.com Brian.Krzanich@intel.com. If we can get him involved, maybe we can get something better than switch to older versions of operating systems or some other brushoff.

0 Kudos
WKane1
Novice

fedinspector,

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try and see if any reply is given. Without being too pushy but showing the extent of the problem and the frustration users are having may help. I doubt Intel is a company that just dismisses customer complaints and tries to hide issues. Their reputation is very high and if not I doubt they would be the leader in the industry.

0 Kudos
IBara3
Novice

tsac,

I agree with you, Intel is a respected corporation and a leader in the industry. This is why my friend suggested contacting the CEO. From what my friend says, his position with Intel was a Communities moderator for the company. He said that this issue has been around awhile but, if a issue gets upstairs, the pressure comes down hard for it to be resolved. That being said, I have no clue as to why it has not been resolved as of yet. Hopefully we get a fix for this and our world will be a better place

0 Kudos
AMeac
Beginner

I have been fighting this same issue with my HP ZBook G2 for months and have spent countless hours just like the rest of you desperately hunting a fix. Even went so far as to do a clean install of windows. As soon as the HP SDM installed the current drivers, my system began freezing and reporting the stopped responding status again. Sigh. Back to the forums - here and on HP and on Microsoft. I have tried all kinds of tweaks from all kinds of sites and nothing has worked for me.

As fedinspector suggested, I did email Mr. Krzanich.

I decided to post because of a phone call I just got. Somewhere during this process, I involved HP. Of course, they are sure it was a driver needing to be updated or whatever. But I will say that they have kept following up with email and phone calls. The last tech that called decided that sending a tech out to fix the laptop is the right choice. I told her that thousands of people have this issue with this card and it is a problem involving HP, Microsoft, and Intel so I don't expect any good at all to come from such a visit....but hey, if they want to pay a guy to come sit in my dining room for a few hours, who am I to quibble?!

If anything good does come from this tech visit, I'll post again...and I'll keep my eye on the forum! I am grateful for all the info you all have posted here. When the big guys pretend we don't exist, it surely is nice to find so many little guys who have my back!

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Hi All,

Start posting the Build number that you are running of Windows 10.

Ex. Windows 10 32-Bit or 64-Bit Build 10586.

Apparently, Intel is only running Build 10240 and not Build the latest Public Release of Windows 10 Build 10586, when testing Windows 10.

The Intel Graphics Drivers that worked in Build 10240, don't work like they did or had in Build 10586.

Microsoft is constantly changing the Windows 10 Core.

0 Kudos
AMeac
Beginner

The HP repair guy came out yesterday afternoon. HP sent him with a new motherboard and a new display - but he and I both knew it was a driver issue. At the time of his arrival, I had very poor text on the display in every application inc. Windows. but the video in applications was working fine. The "stopped responding" issue was not happening - for at least a few days anyway. So I knew it wasn't right but it was livable.....The tech found an HP driver that I had tried before and reinstalled it. The text DID look better and I sent him on his way knowing that it wasn't likely working but it wasn't his fault!

Within 5 hours, the "stopped responding" problem and the "green screen" was back in full swing. With a big sigh, I headed back to this site to find the Beta driver I had used at one point that did seem to be a fix for the problem. Instead I found https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/25620/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-6th-Gen-?httpDown=https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25620/a08/win64_154014.4352.zip Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40 6th Gen] and installed it. My computer has been in use now for nearly 12 hours - no freezes, no green screen, and really clear text!

Many of you have likely already tried this driver but in case you hadn't I wanted you to know that - at least thus far - it seems to have fixed my issues. Good luck with all of yours!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is that all you can do?

Just tell us that your engineers probably know about these issues? We need these things fixed. And your engineers don't fix them. For years.

If you want to make a real change to users, scratch that, CUSTOMERS, you could make a public JIRA-like issues list.

0 Kudos
WKane1
Novice

If you think your frustrated here go to the HP site. The HP support people dropped of the face of the earth once the issue became something pointing back at the software and total lack of testing done with various drivers by Microsoft and others.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Intel-HD-4600-Graphics-driver-stopped-responding-and/td-p/5361326/highlight/false Intel HD 4600 Graphics driver stopped responding and recover... - HP Support Forum - 5361326

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

How were you able to install the driver from Intel if HP modifies the same? I got errors from the driver downloaded from Intel's site that they are incompatible.

0 Kudos
ZC
Novice

I encountered the same issue, but was able to fix it this way:

• Right click your desktop and click on "Graphics Properties..."
  • Once the window opens up, click on "3D"
  • Under the section labeled "Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing," select the option "Turn Off"

That should fix that issue. If that single setting does not fix it, also set "Application Optimal Mode" to "Disable" and "Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing" to "Turn Off," as I have done on my own laptop.

IBara3
Novice

Noiziv,

Thank you for the tip on a possible fix for this. I will give it a shot and see if it works. BTW, thank you for the step by step instruction. Sometimes I think things get taken for granted that we all have this particular computer skill set, but for us 60 to 70 year olds, it is sometimes a push to figure out. We come from the days of tube TV's, transistor radios and crank phones. I'll let you know how it pans out.

ZC
Novice

No problem! I had this same sort of issue after updating my HD 4600 awhile back, and I looked it up online and found that fix. Since then, I've never gotten the error again.

0 Kudos
IBara3
Novice

Well I'll be dammed! You suggestion seems to have worked! THANK YOU! And, thank you to all the great folks on this thread. Coming to this community was the best thing I could have done. Everyone was very responsive, polite and helpful. Good people! After making the changes on the computer as you suggested, my computer seems to be stable. This is the second time I have been on it in as many days with no issues. Hopefully it sticks.

I will monitor for a period and let everyone know. My hope is that everyone gets this problem resolved. I know it's frustrating. All, have a great day and thanks again

0 Kudos
ZC
Novice

I'm glad it has worked for you! I've posted the same fix in other threads, yet not a single person has ever mentioned that they have tried it. Finally someone tried it, and I'm glad it worked for you the same way it did for me. This feature is clearly broken, and hopefully Intel figures that out soon.

0 Kudos
WKane1
Novice

I tried the fix suggested by Noiziv on my HP win10. shut off 3D and tried a web page that always brings on the problem. At first it looked like it was a fix and all of a sudden while looking at pages with some detailed graphics it failed. This fix may work on a win8 OS but apparently not on the win10 OS, at least on my pc.

0 Kudos
IBara3
Novice

Hello tsac

I followed the instructions as well and turning off "Conserve Morphological Anti-Aliasing" was not enough. So I turned everything off and that did the trick. Now for me, I don't know what all that means or what part they play in performance but it did not seem to change anything for me other than I not longer have the screen problems with that annoying graphics message. I bolded the additional steps I took below. You may want to try one at a time to see how you machine responds. I am not a gamer or use CAD or other complex programs so for me, it's pretty basic stuff. I hope it works for you.

I encountered the same issue, but was able to fix it this way:

• Right click your desktop and click on "Graphics Properties..."
  • Once the window opens up, click on "3D"
  • Under the section labeled "Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing," select the option "Turn Off"

That should fix that issue. If that single setting does not fix it, also set "Application Optimal Mode" to "Disable" and "Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing" to "Turn Off," as I have done on my own laptop

0 Kudos
ZC
Novice

I wasn't sure which setting was the one that fixed the issue for me, so I just suggested turning off both as I currently have it. I know that this also fixes an issue where the Windows Start Menu has discolored text and looks strange.

Also, tsac, I run on Windows 10 and not Windows 8, so this was a fix for me for this operating system.

0 Kudos