Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Arc A770 16GB LE only showing 16 Gbps memory speeds?

powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

My 21P01J00BA SKU, Intel Arc A770 16GB LE card only seems to be showing 16 Gbps GDDR6 speeds (2000 Mhz) in all current reporting software (tested GPU-Z, HWInfo, ARC Control, 3DMark etc), and not the 17.5 Gbps GDDR6 (2187 Mhz) expected?

powerarmour_0-1666080971732.gif

Is this just a reporting issue with the launch driver?, as I noticed my Xe-LP on another system with this same driver also reports 2000 Mhz memory speeds (and that's a DDR4-2666 IGP system, so clearly incorrect).

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Esteban_Intel

Hi @powerarmour and all,

A fix for this issue is included with our latest Beta driver version 31.0.101.3793. Please update your driver to this version and test it!

View solution in original post

20 Replies
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Still the same issue with the new 31.0.101.3491 Beta also btw.

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello powerarmour,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ Arc communities.

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention, we are going to check this internally.

We would also like to ask you what is the operating system build running on both systems?

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

@Robert_Q_Intel wrote:

We would also like to ask you what is the operating system build running on both systems?

Hi Robert,

Both running Windows 11 (Build 22H2), the Arc A770 16GB LE is in an ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS motherboard (FW: 2803) with a Ryzen 9 5950X and 32GB DDR4-3600 and the other system is a Gigabyte GB-BSi7-1165G7 (FW: F9)

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello powerarmour,

To continue our research we would like to ask you for the following information:

• Please take screen captures of the Intel® Arc™ Control where it shows the memory speed.

• Additionally to this please take a picture of the memory section of the performance tab in the Windows Task Manager.

You can attach the captures and the .txt file of the report to your reply in this post.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

No problem Robert, please see attached info as requested.

ArcControl.png

TM1.png

TM2.png

If that's everything for now I'll be uninstalling Arc Control again until that overlay is fixed (clearly not conducive to any screen grabbing utilities!), and removing the left over folders that SSU left in my Program Files... 😉

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

I've also attached my IntelGFXFwUpdateTool.log, as this app seems to like running often also...

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000090074/graphics/intel-arc-dedicated-graphics-family.html

Okay from reading the above, looks like this tool runs after every driver install, and I must say that's pretty unusual behaviour for a graphics card to do this, as you folks must be aware it can be risky if a power failure happens at the wrong time...

It's also likely the culprit to this whole issue where many cards were reporting 2187Mhz prior to these drivers, and now 2000Mhz afterwards.

0 Kudos
Thaddeus
Novice

Dear Robert,

I'm also experiencing the exact same VRAM issue as @powerarmour when using my ARC A770 Graphics 16 GB (Prod. Code 21P01J00BA), but have a different hardware configuration (Alienware Aurora R12 with Intel Core i9-11900KF). I'm submitting my system information as well as screenshots from ARC Control and the ARC in-game overlay to give the DG2/Alchemist support team another data point for analysis/troubleshooting this issue.

Regards,
Thaddeus

Examples of ARC Control software reporting video memory status

Figure 1(b): VRAM Effective Frequency reported via ARC Control's "Live Telemetry" while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider.Figure 1(b): VRAM Effective Frequency reported via ARC Control's "Live Telemetry" while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Figure 2: VRAM performance reported via ARC Control's in-game overlay while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider.Figure 2: VRAM performance reported via ARC Control's in-game overlay while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Figure 1(a): VRAM Clock reported via ARC Control's "Live Telemetry" while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider.Figure 1(a): VRAM Clock reported via ARC Control's "Live Telemetry" while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Performance Data from Windows Task Manager

Fig 3(a): Task Manager → Performance → MemoryFig 3(a): Task Manager → Performance → Memory

Fig 3(b): Task Manager → Performance → GPUFig 3(b): Task Manager → Performance → GPU

0 Kudos
Kushikush
Novice

Ah sure, Minecraft no mouse arrow when you start game, main menu, writing sign.

0 Kudos
Thaddeus
Novice

Thanks for spotting this issue and starting a thread!

I'm also seeing the same VRAM behavior. My system info has been submitted (replied to Robert's post) so the support team has another data point on this problem—with the hope that more data from affected A770 16 GB users helps Intel fix this issue.

powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

It's not just us :), also spotted in a recent review too:

https://adoredtv.com/a-first-look-at-and-review-of-intels-arc-a770-le-dgpu-16gb/

My best guess is that it's simply a reporting issue that can be fixed in a driver update, or there may genuinely be some A770 cards on the market (that may have been sitting in warehouses for a while...) that require an updated FW (hence the IntelGFXFwUpdateTool.exe running on each install).

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello, powerarmour,

Thank you for posting and sharing the information.

We will review the information internally and will get back to you as soon as we have an update.

In case want to share more information please feel free to share it on this thread.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

Thaddeus
Novice

Nice find!

P.S. Normally I'd +1 (kudo) your post, but looks like my account can't do that yet.

Robert_Q_Intel

Hello powerarmour

Thank you for reporting this issue and sharing the information, after checking the information internally we can confirm that the issue was reported via GitHub, and the issue is being worked on, for more information please visit the following GitHub link:

https://github.com/IGCIT/Intel-GPU-Community-Issue-Tracker-IGCIT/issues/160

Please keep checking the Community issue tracker since updates about this topic will be posted in the GitHub link.

We are going to focus the updates on the GitHub issue tracker to avoid duplicate efforts, this thread will no longer be monitored If you need any additional information, please submit a new question. 

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II
Thanks Robert, yes I'm keeping an eye on that via my GitHub account, hopefully this is resolved soon.
0 Kudos
Esteban_Intel

Hi @powerarmour and all,

A fix for this issue is included with our latest Beta driver version 31.0.101.3793. Please update your driver to this version and test it!

powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Thanks Esteban, yes this seems to fix the issue, appreciate the swift response!

powerarmour_0-1666948573231.png

Thaddeus
Novice

Since the 101.3793 driver solved our A770 issue—as the OP do you get to mark this thread as closed/solved? or do the mods close the thread?

0 Kudos
Thaddeus
Novice

Dear @Esteban_Intel,

I can confirm that the 101.3793 beta driver resolves the VRAM clock discrepancy on my Arc A770 (16 GB). Thanks for the quick turnaround and for updating us on this thread!

0 Kudos