Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Are dual monitors compatible with my system? (UHD 630)

NBarn3
Beginner

Hey guys.

I'm looking to set up a dual monitor display (currently using just 1 monitor) and i'm just seeking information about whether i'll be able to do that, and what kind of monitors are compatible, before i purchase my 2nd monitor.

I'm using integrated graphics (UHD 630) with my processor (i7-8700). My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z370N (BIOS is F10), it has an HDMI port, an HDMI 2.0 port, and a DisplayPort port. My current monitor is connected through the HDMI 2.0 port, and it's a BenQ monitor (BL2420PT 24" IPS LED 2560 x 1440 60Hz, and i think it has a DVI port and a DisplayPort if needed. Currently using HDMI 1.4 port though). I haven't bought my 2nd monitor yet because i wanted to make sure of compatibility first.

Firstly, is it possible for me to set up dual monitors? And if so, what kind of monitor would be compatible? What specs do i need to be mindful of when purchasing?

Thanks!

Attached dxdiag

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Since the HDMI port is only HDMI 1.4 compliant, your best bet for adding a second monitor is via the DisplayPort (DP). This port is DP 1.2 compliant, which means that it can support a 4K monitor at up to 60Hz. If your choice for a second monitor only supports a HDMI interface, there are adapters that can convert from DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0a, including supporting HDCP 2.2 and HDR (but make sure the specs absolutely say that it can do this).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Max44
Beginner

A quick way to check if a graphics card can support two monitors is to look at the back of the card: if it has more than one screen connector -- including VGA, DVI, Display Port and HDMI -- it can handle a dual-monitor setup. Laptops that feature an outgoing connector also support an external second monitor.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

But, there is no "card". Any ports must be available/integrated on the motherboard or laptop to use the processor graphics.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The problem, @Max44​,  is that there are boards that have multiple connectors that are actually exposing the same DisplayPort output from the processor. You can only use one of them uniquely; connecting to more then one gets you duplicate displays. This is thus not a good way to make a determination.

...S

0 Kudos