Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

As far as a driver for HD 630 is installed - massive Flickering or even no Signal

TSchö3
Beginner

Environment:

ASUS Z390-F and ASUS Z390-E Motherboard (latest Bios 11.05)

Intel i9 9900K CPU, 2 x 16GB RAM Corsair 3200, Nvidia GTX1080 TI OC as secondary

Windows 10 Prof; all updates on1903 - latest Graphic Driver...7000

2 x Benq 27" Full HD Monitor with HDMI and DP; ASUS X34, Eizo CG318 and Samsung TV

OS Setup from scratch many times with different driver-first-Installations

If the Microsoft Basic Driver is installed - the DP and HDMI Output of the MB deliver a nice and clear Picture (single or double Monitor) - also in the Bios Screen.

If i start to install any kind of Intel related Graphik driver (live System with Asus Driver from their Homepage; Intel Driver from your HP, Intel Autodetect,...) - HDMI and DP stop working -> extreme Flickering or even "no Signal". Startup in safe mode and uninstall all Driver (even with external Tool) and setup the same driver - same issue)

All combination in the MoBo Graphik Settings testet -> actual: Primary CPU; 64MB RAM, secondary enabled (but did also NOT work with default setting, where no external Graphis was installed)

After this issue, i installed the external Nvidia GTX1080 where all of the above mentioned constellation works very fine (but no use of the Intel 630 card)

I have to connect one Monitor to the Motherboard (Quicksync!) and one to the Nvidia

ASUS Support referred to you.

What did i try:

Changed Motherboard from Z390-F to Z390-E

Tried 4 different Monitors, with 4 differen cables and resolutions in HDMI and DP

Changed RAM Model/Manufacturer (always certified RAM)

What i did not change (because i dont have a spare one) - The i9 9900K.

Should we investigate in your opinion more to the driver side - or the CPU Side (damage?)

Thank you, for your Support

Thomas

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

TSchö3, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, if the Intel® Core™ i9-9900K works fine with the Microsoft Basic Driver that means the processor is working fine, so yes, we should investigate more to the driver side.

We can always install the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, it does an overall test on the unit, if the Intel® Processor passed the test it means it is working properly:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

We recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

The Intel® Graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your system.

I looked in ASUS web site and the proper driver for your platform is version 26.20.100.6911:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

When you use an external video card normally the Intel® onboard graphics get disable automatically, so just to make sure, are you planning to use both graphics controllers at the same time?

If that is the case, are you sure the BIOS settings for hybrid graphics are properly configured?

Are you using HDMI and DP straight connections or are you using adapters or converters?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software settings?

Just to clarify, during the test, how many monitors were connected at the same time 1,2,3 or more?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
TSchö3
Beginner
Good Morning Alberto, as requested, i deinstalled the .7000 driver in Win Safe Mode – and installed the .6911 from the Asus Support Page -> NO improvement. The Driver shows – Intel – 28.05.2019 – 26.20.100.6911. The Bios Setting in the SA Configuration: Primary Display – CPU Graphics iGPU Multi Monitor – Enabled DVMT Pre Allocation – 1024 RC6 – Auto Tested every combination IPDT – Test – all PASS Tested also 24.20.100.6169 – NO improvement Onboard – Monitor 1 connected directly with straight DP Cable (also tested straight HDMI) – no Adapter NVIDIA – Monitor 2 – straight DP – no Adapter At the Annex you can find a DXDIAG And now the very strange thing: Win10 acknowledge BOTH Monitors – without any error – i can move Windows to it – change Extention etc. BUT The Intel Graphis Control Panel recognize ONLY the 2nd Monitor on NVIDIA -> Only ONE Monitor present in the Gui! The Monitor directly attached tot he Board not All Components are brand NEW – this is the first Installation. Only NVIDIA is reused. This error exist since the firtst boot (without NVIDIA installed) oft he OS (no other SW installed) – USB Boot Stick with Win10Prof 1903 Both graphic cards must be used at the same time to enable QuickSync for Video Editing Thank you Thomas
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

TSchö3, Good day, thank you very much for providing that information.

I can see here that the memory RAM that you are using runs at 3200 MHz, the Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor runs at 2666 MHz. Please make sure in the BIOS that it is running at 2666MHz as max speed, otherwise you will be forcing the processor to work at speeds it does not support:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/186605/intel-core-i9-9900k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

Besides that, make sure to reset the BIOS to default values to rule out a possible setting that might be causing this issue.

For testing purposes, could you please connect both monitors to the motherboard without using the external video card and provide the following reports while the monitors are connected:

DxDiag:

• In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.
  • In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
  • Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).
  • Open the report.
  • Use the option "save all information" to save the .TXT file to your desktop.
  • Attach the .TXT file to the thread.   

And also the Intel® Graphics report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

Please confirm the model of the 2 monitors that you are currently using and if it is possible, please provide a screenshot in reference to the Intel® Graphics Controller detecting just the monitor connected to the external video card.

To attach the reports, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower-left corner.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
TSchö3
Beginner
Hi, set Bios to default as you requested. Mon 1 connected via HDMI / Mon2 with DP -> both connected to MoBo -> As far as the Windows Logon Window appears – blackout and „No Signal“, second Mon black Only Mon 1 connected via HDMI to Mobo -> As far as the Windows Logon Window appears – blackout and „No Signal No DXDIAG in those constellations possible Bios set hard to RAM freq 2666 – Bios Graphic settings to Primary CPU / secondary enabled See pictures as requested -> Windows acknowledge 2 Monitors – Intel Control Panel not Same result with RAM Speed AUTO -> 2133Mhz I have two identical BenQ GW2780 – it also happens with every other Monitor i own Thx Thomas
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi TSchö3, Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

Just to let you know, we do have a similar configuration in our Intel® lab and we do have video signal with no problems without using an external video card.

You mentioned that you posted the picture where Windows* acknowledge 2 monitors and Intel® Control Panel does not, but for some reason, I cannot see it in the thread.

Could you please share the picture in the thread again?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
TSchö3
Beginner
Hi, at the annex the jpg – if filtered from your mail gateway, here a Dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zuksmciizj7zjsv/AAASFAaVtHj2ZSVWpBtm6XOJa?dl=0
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

TSchö3, Thank you very much for sharing the pictures.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

TSchö3, I just received an update on this matter.

Just to let you know, most likely this is not a driver issue, otherwise, there will be a lot of reports from peers informing about the flickering problem on every device using integrated Intel® graphics.

I just wanted to clarify that actually when using the Microsoft Basic Driver not all the Graphics functions of the Intel® Processor are working at the fullest, so the flickering issue might be "masked" and still the problem could be related to the Intel® Graphis controller inside the Intel® Processor.

I will try to replicate the scenario in our Intel® lab to verify if the issue also happens in our lab, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

TSchö3, I just received another update on this matter.

We tried to replicate the issue in our Intel® lab and actually the Intel® Graphics driver version 26.20.100.7000 worked fine without any flickering problems in multiple systems.

Based on those results, the problem could be related to the internal Graphics controller of the Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor.

At this point, the next thing to do will be to replace the unit. Please get in contact directly with your local Intel® support department for them to further assist you with the warranty process:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@6

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos