Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Aspect ratio (keep proportions) issue, Intel Core i5 integrated graphics

IGlav
Beginner

Hello there!

I've bought some new PC recently, and currently have problems setting up graphics driver.

The system works pretty well @ native 1920*1080 widescreen, however whenever I switch it to non-16:9 resolution, it tries to upscale the image, breaking aspect ratio in the process. Say, any 640:480 (4:3) becomes wide and disproportional. What I want, is to always keep proportions regardless of resolution.

So, I checked the utility that came along with graphics driver and couldnt find there such an option (resolution 1920*1080). Then I switched desktop's resolution to 1280*1024 (5:4) and indeed, there it was (lightened "Сохранить пропорции" in Russian is "Keep proportions" or kind of). The problem is, this setting is reset every time resolution is changed, and the default one is "make everything look fat and weird on your big widescreen", which is not really smart, or I'd say, Intelligent, on the part of Intel .

Now here is how it works for me: I boot the PC into native desktop resolution 1920*1080. Run any non-16:9 game, like fallout2 or starcraft1 (2d engine @ 640*480 and can't be changed without violationg eula or anticheat system, but that's not the point), it scales to all screen. I change it to "keep proportions" via hot-keys, and everything is fine until I decide to alt-tab back to desktop and go back, because it first changes to 1920*1080, and then back to 640*480 with proportions broken again. Basically, I have to ctrl-alt-f11 three times every time I alt-tab.

Before that, I've been using ATI graphics for 12 years (from radeon 9xxx to HD6xxx) and there always been similar option which worked and didn't reset. Is this a driver, or utility, or maybe monitor issue? 3 screenshots are added with technical information.

I am sorry if my English isn't good enough, but hopefully someone can understand what's up and suggest me a solution. Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the Graphics community.

Maintain Aspect Ratio or Scaling settings will remain even if you restart the computer. This feature is called mode persistence.

I recommend testing new drivers on your computer.

Driver version: 14.51.11.5437

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3711 Intel® Download Center

Allan.

0 Kudos
IGlav
Beginner

Hello allan_intel

I've tested mentioned driver (it shows version 6.14.10.5437 on the info screen now), but haven't noticed any differences. There is still no such an option as "keep proportions" when already at 16:9.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please bear in mind that our drivers are generic and not all features may be available for your computer model.

I would say you need customized drivers from your motherboard or computer manufacturer as they are familiar with total configuration of your system.

Allan.

0 Kudos