Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Asus G771JW laptop + external monitor problem with dp

Krisskross
Beginner
Hello!

I have this issue with my laptop and external monitor.

I have Asus G177JW laptop with optimus enabled.
Indegrated graphics card is intel HD4600 and dedicated nvidia geforce gtx 960m. Mini displayport goes to intel graphics card.

I bough monitor blackstorm 23.6 144hz and Im using mini dp(M) to Dp(M) cable as version 1.4.
Monitor and my laptop supports 1.2 version.

It took me many times to restarting laptop,monitor. Taking of cabels and putting them back and changing display settings to show only monitor 1(laptops one) and again to copy displays until many times I did it. I finally got it working on the monitor while my laptop display was off.
144hz worked well, I was playing valorant called game. Then next day I had to do whole thing again to get it working but now when I started the game valorant monitor went black screen but sounds work and in display settings it dedects monitor but dont show anything. Again did all the things and same happened.

After this next day in display settings it again dedects monitor but randomly it shows display on monitor sometimes but so laggy and with black and white lines goin trough the display and goes black screen again and again unclear display shows for couple of seconds and again the same black screen and so on.. sometimes it says no signal aswell.

I cant install latest drivers for intel somewhy.. prob asus blocked it and they dont update it anymore aswell.
Is there a way to manually install latest drivers, could it work?
Or whats the problem here.

We tried the monitor on my girlfriends laptop and it worked well trough dp.
My monitor works on my laptop well with hdmi. But I cant get full 144hz, only 120hz with that.

Any help here? thank you!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Krisskross,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, please provide us with the below information:

• Provide us with the specific model of the second Laptop tested, also the CPU, graphics card, and graphics driver used.

Provide us with the below reports from your laptop:

DXDIAG 

1. Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R. 

2. On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK. 

3. On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information. 

Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save. 

With the external display connected, provide the Intel* Graphics Command Center report:

>Go to the Intel Graphics Command Center

>Support

>System Diagnostic

>Generate report.

>Attach the report file.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Krisskross
Beginner

Hello Maria!

Thank you for your reply!

The laptop we tried on and worked is work laptop for bussiness/office use. Cant reach it for now to look up for the specs but It should be this one:

model: Lenovo tp00048A if I remember right.

atleast its thinkpad and it has for sure Inside core i5 vpro and it came with windows 8 pro.

version im not sure of graphics card, but I searched from google and im pretty sure its intel hd4400 graphics.

If this information dosnt help, Will ask her to bring laptop home with her next day to check the specs.

aswel I managed to download latest intel Hd4600 drivers manually to my own asus laptop. Didn't help for the problem tho.

The other reports you asked for is attached to this message.

Thank you very much for your time on this!

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Krisskross,

Based on the information provided, the behavior seems to be with the bandwidth of your PC.

The report showed that the max resolution (1920 x 1080 (144p Hz)) is recognized and supported by the processor and the display through DP connection. You can check the processor's specifications here https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/78934/intel-core-i7-4720hq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html.

Our recommendation is to use a lower refresh rate using DisplayPort* for testing purposes and to make sure that the bandwidth is limited. Also, some workaround can be to check the amount of memory you're using for the graphics. The process of VRAM (Video Memory) allocation is dynamic. This means that if an application requires more VRAM, it can be allocated as long as it doesn't go over the amount defined. For newer Intel Graphics Controllers, the maximum amount reflects a combination of the OS and the graphics driver. Some BIOS or UEFIs allow users to define another aspect of Graphics memory, often referred to as IGD Aperture Size, this setting or configurations have to be changed (if it is allowed) on BIOS. Each Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) handle their own BIOS configuration. 

We do not handle the Laptop specifications, but since the resolution worked with the built-in display off, the best would be to check this with the Original Equipment Manufacturer of the Laptop since this can be a limitation with the laptop design. In this case, Intel just provides the CPU in stock settings, and we do not have control over any customization that the equipment manufacturer has performed. In other words, the setup may or may not work with the computer due to bandwidth, incompatibility, or hardware limitation.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Krisskross
Beginner

Hello,

If my laptop with external monitor would be limited to not use 1080p resolution, which is same as my own laptop display. I think I could not use this with hdmi, right? 

Cause what comes to specs for intel hd 4600 trough dp it should be even possible to get higher hz with 1080p resolution. And I think hz wont matter for vram, isint it only resolution what matters here. Aswell graphics card bandwith should be enough for this setup and the laptops and I dont think so that its limited because of:

Hdmi cable works very well with 120hz and it shows display on monitor right away, gaming, normal use.. overall not a single lagg, suttering or anything.

Aswell, if it was limited. How could I use monitor with mini display to display with 144hz very well in the start? Cause I had no problem with that and I was playin game etc.. just only was little repeat with unpluggin, back on, closing laptop etc to get it to display and worked well. After that next day it started turning black screen when started game and after that it still dedects monitor but just randomly showing very laggy display on the monitor for couple of seconds and goes black, after sometime samething but for now I didnt need to unplug or close laptop. Just plug in dp. Sometimes it says no signal and today it said on the monitor something with starting A but didnt have a good look what it said.

Aswell I tried new cable, so its not the cable and works with the other laptop which is only office use.

I went to bios but didnt have option for IGD aperture size. Only had one option in this section which was dvmt pre-allocated which was 64mb. Dont know what is this for. Havent downloaded latest bios tho, dont know if it will show more options. Is it only possible to download from asus bios drivers that are under my laptop model drivers, they havent updated any drivers since 2015-2016 for my laptop. Even tho nvidia drivers are latest and downloaded intel drivers latest aswell manually.

when I start gaming, nvidia gtx 960m will be used for rendering and gaming. I have nvidia options to use gtx primaly. It has video memory 4gb and intel has 2gb.

aswell theres no problem at all with vram, it never goes even 1/4 full if I use monitor with hdmi 120hz and play games. I have clean laptop and 2 weeks ago I reinstalled whole laptop. Everything was deleted. I dont have much of apps or anything in it. Just games, chrome and couple of apps. When gaming, if I remember right, usage of gpu was about 10% and very little usage of memory. Game I play is more cpu than gpu needed I think.

Thank you again maria, will be waiting for your reply!

0 Kudos
Krisskross
Beginner
Forgot to tell you this,
I tried lower the hz to same as it works with hdmi which is 120hz. But nothing changed, samething as before eith 144hz
0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Krisskross,

Thank you for all the helpful information you provided.

I would like to check this in our labs. I will be posting back on this thread as soon as I have more details to share with you.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Krisskross
Beginner
Alright!

Thank you very much for your time on this!

Will be waiting for the results.
0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Krisskross,

Thank you so much for patiently waiting for our response.

We have been working on our labs to try to replicate your issue.

We used different systems with Intel* HD Graphics 4600 and HD 5500. We tested different connections as miniDP* to DP* and HDMI* to HDMI*, we had different results, but the max refresh rate was 120Hz, this based on the design of the devices we tested.

Based on "only if the built-in display is disabled the monitor connected via DP can achieve 1080p @ 144hz" it seems to be the laptop design.

We encourage you to check this to the Equipment manufacturer, Asus*, for validation. The processor and graphics card support the resolution but it seems they are sharing a video pipeline (eDP) instead of using the 2nd pipeline available for DP. The HDMI is using its own separate pipeline hence why it can do 1080p @ 120hz.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Krisskross
Beginner
Thank you for checking it out and for reply!

When the 144hz worked on my laptop. I used it as copy display for both monitor and laptop owns display. Aswell it worked when laptop own monitor was set off and only displaying on monitors. So it should be working.

I havr changed some windows settings and registery things to get most of the gaming exprience. And downloaded some drivers, Im not sure if the problem is there with some drivers or settings. Even tho I dont think so as it works with hdmi 120hz.

According to asus website on Asus g771jw information and specs it says:
"4K/UHD-ready output with Trinity Display

ROG G771JW gives you 4K/UHD video output via mini DisplayPort so you can play your games on an external display. G771JW even has Trinity Display support – allowing you to connect up to three external displays through mini DisplayPort and HDMI for unrivalled gaming, movie-viewing, or multitask computing experiences."
Here is the link:https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G771JW/

This is the laptop I own.
If it runs 4k, Im sure it should run 144hz with 1080p. And it did. Not anymore tho with this problem. So the problem is elsewhere.

Could downloading latest bios driver or something else work? Cause I havent downloaded that yet. Or maybe I have to try installing the laptop all over again and delete everything.

Thank you for your time!

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Krisskross,

Even if the Laptop supports a configuration with multiple displays, the bandwidth of the design may limit the refresh rates or resolutions.

Yes, the best would be to have all your system up to date. The BIOS updates and customized drivers are available on the Asus* website. Also, if the configuration was working fine before and you made changes on the OS configuration or other settings, you may try to set all to defaults and then proceed with a clean installation/configuration, for this process, since we do not handle your system details, please contact the Equipment Manufacturer for the proper guidance.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Krisskross,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos