Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

BUG: dwm.exe and high GPU usage

Lobotomy96
Novice

I have a laptop with Windows 10 running and since 2 months ago I have a problem with the GPU usage. It goes from 0% to 100%, resulting in peaks with no reason. That makes my pc crash for 5 seconds. It happens very frecuently and when I'm simply moving between different windows like Microsoft Edge, Windows Explorer, etc. It is getting worse through time, now I can't even play games that I used to play before. 

I tried everything that it's on the internet: updating all the drivers, reinstaling the OS (twice), changing different configuration options... 

I read on the internet that I'm not the only one with this problem, some people say it must be an issue with the new Window's patch 20h2 and the Intel drivers.

I really appreciate a response.

Thank you in advance

Specifications:

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X556UQK 

Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

Intel® HD Graphics 620

8 GB RAM

25 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Lobotomy96, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

When did you purchase the computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The problem happens just with one game or with all the games? Please provide the names of them.

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Lobotomy96
Novice

Alberto,

I bought it 2015.

Yes.

I had a problem in the hard disk so I changed it for a SSD disk, I had to reinstall Windows Home, that's when the issue started. 

Yes, I've changed the disk as I've mencioned it before.

The problem happens just with one game or with all the games? Please provide the names of them.

It happens not only with games, but when I play, it happens for sure. It gets worse everytime I change between windows in everyday use, minimizing and maximizing screen, moving windows.

I play Age of Empires II HD (2013) and it happens even with original version of Age of Empires II (1999). 

Now I installed Windows Professional and I'm testing if the problem is still there. For the moment it looks like it is less frequent than before, but time will tell. In case it gets worse I will write again.

Thanks anyway for your attention

0 Kudos
Lobotomy96
Novice

Alberto,

Sorry to say that the problem is still here...

0 Kudos
Oyz
Beginner

I was referred to this thread. Answers to the initial questions here:

November 2018

Can't really pinpoint the exact date I noticed this. It's been an annoyance for perhaps a couple of months,.

Only hardware change in this period has been going from having to external monitors, to an ultrawide monitor. 

I play Football Manager 😁
Though this happends both when playing that, and also when streaming video.

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

See attached file

I've tried reviewing this thread and another it is referred to from this thread. Not sure what to with it, as it doesn't look like there is a solution. Seems like some people have had success rolling back their intel graphics driver to version 8476. Is that the recommandation?

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Lobotomy96, Thank you very much for providing that information, the SSU report, and the picture of CPU utilization.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked on ASUS's web site for the Graphics driver tested and validated by them, but for some reason, the drivers are not available as you can see here:

https://www.asus.com/latin/Laptops/For-Home/VivoBook/ASUS-Vivobook-X556UQ/

Since the laptop is working with Intel® HD Graphics 620, we can try a clean installation of the Intel® Generic Graphics driver version 27.20.100.9168, following the instructions in the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30148/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

It is important to mention that the computer also contains 2 different graphics controllers, Intel® and Nvidia, they seemed to be working as hybrid graphics controllers, that could be the reason for a high CPU usage, but actually, we recommend getting in contact with ASUS directly to confirm that information, to gather the instructions on how to do a BIOS update to the latest version, to report this scenario and to check if they have a customized driver to install or any other suggestions on this scenario:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results of testing driver version 27.20.100.9168 and doing the BIOS update.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Lobotomy96, I just received an update on this matter.

Please keep monitoring the following thread this is an issue that we are investigating, you will be able to check updates and a possible solution for this matter in there:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/BUG-dwm-exe-uses-memory-leakage-with-Intel-HD-Graphics-630/m-p/1222297

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Lobotomy96
Novice

Thank you very much Alberto for your answer. I'll try that and then I'll tell you about the results.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Lobotomy96, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

Perfect, excellent, try that, keep checking that other thread and feel free to jump at any time, they might ask for some information and additional details in there from your specific platform, so go ahead and post them for further technical assistance on this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Lobotomy96
Novice

Hello Alberto,

I tested the driver version 27.20.100.9168 and the problem persists.

I contacted ASUS by email and they told me I had the latest BIOS version and that they can't help me... They recommended me to send my pc to an official technical support shop, but it is impossible for me to take it there, since I don't live in Buenos Aires. That would mean maybe a month without the computer and I use it for working everyday.

I keep an eye in the other thread, do you think the problems are related? I usually see high levels of memory use by dwm.exe, one day I even saw it using 800 mb. But that is not affecting the performance. Everytime the crashes occurre, the GPU use of dwm.exe is at or near 100%, the entire moment the crash lasts or by the form of 'repeated peaks'. That process always use the Intel card even if I disable it (I have two graphic cards).

Thank you so much for your attention, I hope you can help me with this issue.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Lobotomy96, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those details.

In reference to "I keep an eye in the other thread, do you think the problems are related?", yes, after reviewing your case we determined that the cases are related, that is why is very important for you to jump in explaining your scenario in that other thread for them to provide a possible resolution in this matter.

Just to let you know, this thread will remain open for as long as you need it, in the case that by any chance further assistance is required/provided through your original post.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Lobotomy96
Novice

Yes, I never saw dwm.exe using the amount of gigas people talk in the other thread, and it doesn't happen everytime I use it, like the other issue, so I didn't thought there were related. 

Thank you very much, I'll try everything you say in the other thread.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Lobotomy96, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those updates.

Yes, perfect, excellent, go ahead and post on that other thread for further assistance on this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Lobotomy96
Novice

Hello Alberto,

I write here because I saw something in my pc that I think is related to my problem and has nothing to do with the memory issue, but you will tell me.

I was monitoring my pc performance with Afterburner, because I realized that I never experienced the issue when I'm only using battery, so, everytime the pc crashes is connected to the power. I try changing the energy plan to the same plan as when it is not connected (only battery), but it still happens.

What I see in Afterburner is that suddenly the clock of my Inter CPU is set to the minimum, and that's when it crashes, then there is a GPU peak, I don't know if that's a response because the CPU is not responding. I also see that the temperature rises constantly until the clock is set to the minimum, and so it crashed. I don't know if that means a problem with the CPU fan, or some thermal issue. The technicial that changed my disk also changed the thermal past and did a clean. 

I send you 2 pictures, one using power (crashes are marked with blue) and the other using only battery. In the last case, you can see the CPU temperature acts very different from the other case, it looks way more stable. I think there is a problem with the refrigerator system when it is connected to the power. Can you please help me with that?

Thanks a lot for everything.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Lobotomy96, You are very welcome, thank you for providing those updates and the pictures.

Yes, go ahead and post all this information in the other thread, they will further assist you there and you can explain these details in there as well, they will either provide a solution or they will ask you to go back to this thread if necessary, so we can do further research on your specific scenario, but for the moment go ahead and post in the main thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Lobotomy96, I just wanted to check if you were able to post in the other thread and if you are receiving further assistance in there?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Lobotomy96
Novice

Hello Alberto,

Yes, I posted my problem in the other thread, but for the moment I didn't receive an answer.

I've found a workaround to my issue: I set the maximum processor state to 99% using power. Now it doesn't achieve the turbo frequency and it manages to keep the temperature cool without setting the frequency to the minimum (so, without crashing).

I know this set a limit to my computer's performance, so I really hope Intel can help me with this.

Thank you so much for your attention

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Lobotomy96, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

Yes, since this is a matter that is under investigation, it might take a little bit for you to receive a response. So, keep monitoring that thread for possible updates on this topic and a possible solution.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Lobotomy96, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, since the problem is not actually related to dwm.exe taking memory and instead is related to High CPU Usage, what we recommend is to test with a Windows* Restore or a clean installation of it to rule out a possible software problem:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-10-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e...

In the following link, you will find further suggestions on this matter for you to try:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000038081/processors.html

If the problem persists after that, then we also suggest to check directly with the manufacturer of the computer to confirm if there is maybe a BIOS update available for your system:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Lobotomy96
Novice

Hello Alberto,

I really appreciate your help on this matter, thank you so much.

What I first thought it was a GPU problem, it seems to be a CPU problem, since I monitored the CPU clock and temperatures in Afterburner (I've sent you the pictures in a previous message). I don't know if the problem is that my pc in not able to cool the CPU or it is something wrong with my pc always using the turbo frequency (3.5 Ghz). What I see in the moment of the crash is CPU clock at minimum because it was at the turbo level and the temperatures where increasing. It's kind of a cyclical issue if you see the graphs.

I already installed the lastest BIOS update and made 2 clean installs of Windows. 

The problem started after changing my disk and installing Windows again. I never had problems with the cooling system before.

Thank you so much again.

0 Kudos
german1513
Beginner

hi @Lobotomy96  were you able to fix this issue? looks like I am having the same issue.

0 Kudos