Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Black Square and Long loading times after driver update

VirtalPeguin
Novice

I am using a 1065G7 and I have done a clean install of the 27.20.100.8853 Latest DCH display driver for my device. 

In Forza Horizon 4 (game) I get a black square issue and long loading times, along with some texture issues.

I posted this on Reddit and couldn't get a solution. Link to my post: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/j5tfr3/latest_dch_driver_issue/

The post is a bit old with version 27.20.100.8783, but the issues are the same, except for the green artifacting. 

A display driver update I got from Windows Update (auto installed) 27.20.100.7372 did not cause these issues in the game, but I get worse FPS with the older driver. 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
VirtalPeguin
Novice

New driver also causes Overwatch to have 80%+ CPU usage and low GPU usage, causing the game to stutter and low fps.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello VirtualPeguin,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To better assist you I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• For how long you’ve been experiencing this behavior?
  • What was the graphics driver version that was working as expected?
  • How did you update the graphics driver? Was this a manual installation or did you use the
  • Intel® Driver & Support Assistant?
  • Are other games affected by this graphics driver?

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1.       Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.      By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3.       Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.       To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
VirtalPeguin
Novice

Hi,

As I said in my post, everything was fine in the 7372 driver, but 8853 has the issue. I updated the driver using this:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29957/a08/igfx_win10_100.8853.exe

Just Overwatch and Forza Horizon 4 are affected by issues from the games I've tried. Overwatch has high CPU usage and low GPU usage for the first 5 or so minutes of playing and low FPS and stuttering during this time. Forza Horizon 4 has the issues I posted on the Reddit post, except for the green artifacting. 

Rainbow Six Siege (Vulkan) also has an issue where it would sometimes just crash when its getting to the "Please wait to connect to Rainbow Six Siege servers". (I can't remember exactly what it says, but it is on that part of the loading screen where it crashes sometimes.

0 Kudos
VirtalPeguin
Novice

@Esteban_D_Intel 

I have attached the SSU output

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello VirtualPeguin,

Thank you for your response and the information attached.

When talking about laptops, it’s worth mentioning that Intel provides generic versions of software and drivers. 

Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes.  

I would recommend the installation of the drivers provided by the manufacturer to avoid any potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. 

This is because system manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. 

That being said, we recommend to install all drivers/software direcly from your OEM website.

In case you already tried the drivers provided by Lenovo* did you notice any improvement?

However, after checking pictures attached to your Reddit post, I would like to further investigate this for you.

Can you please confirm if this behavior also occurs when using an external monitor? Or this will only occur in the embedded screen?

I will be waiting for your response.

Esteban D.

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

0 Kudos
VirtalPeguin
Novice

Hi,

The issues occur both when I use the laptop display and the external monitor. 

The reason for using the DCH drivers is because the OEM driver is a very old version and the performance is worse in games. The OEM driver also causes Rainbow Six Siege (Vulkan) to crash more often. Forza Horizon 4 doesn't even launch on the latest OEM driver from Lenovo for my device. 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello VirtualPeguin,

Thank you so much for your response.

I will further investigate this behavior for you.

We will provide an update in the thread as soon as possible.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @VirtalPeguin 

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to us.

We have filed bug sighting ID# 18013188883 with our driver development team. As soon as we have any news or updates I will post it in this thread. Unfortunately I cannot provide an estimated time or even promise an outcome, but rest assured we are investigating these issues you kindly listed for us.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

RonaldM_Intel

Hi @VirtalPeguin 

Intel released driver 27.20.100.8935 which contains several fixes for Forza Horizon 4, can you please test it and let us know your feedback?

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi again @VirtalPeguin I'm just following up to see if you were able to test with the latest driver 100.8935?

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
VirtalPeguin
Novice

Hi @RonaldM_Intel 

The latest driver 8935 fixed the black square issue and mostly fixed the long loading time issue. The long loading time issue is more rare now upon loading the game but it barely happens now. There is still one issue with Forza Horizon 4, that being some textures aren't being rendered properly. It affects some vehicles' logos and art on the cars. It looks like the transparency in those certain textures are shown as black instead of transparent.

VirtalPeguin_3-1607142035943.png

VirtalPeguin_2-1607141726919.png

There is also an issue where when the Saving content dialog appears ingame from actions like collecting cars from auctions, or buying a car, the game hangs for a few seconds, or sometimes even around 15 seconds and then unfreezes and continues. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear we have made substantial improvements with this game, and as you noted, there is still ways to go and improve performance.

I'll stop monitoring this thread for now since the game is playable now. For now I would suggest keeping your drivers up to date as we will continue to release fixes and improvements for this game in upcoming drivers.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
VirtalPeguin
Novice

Hi @RonaldM_Intel ,

In the latest DCH driver (non Beta) 27.20.100.9030, the long loading time issue for Forza Horizon 4 has come back. The game hangs for up to around 30 seconds after pressing Continue on the main starting screen with the music and then takes a very long time to load.

0 Kudos