Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Black screen with Intel HD 4400 on windows 10 2004

ali2
Novice
Hi.
I am using asus laptop (k551ln, Core i5 4200u CPU & Intel HD 4400 Graphic, Windows 10 2004).
It was working normaly with windows 10 1909, but while i was working, suddenly the screen went black and it was black after reatart and just after the first logo of windows. the problem seemed to be due to the graphic driver update.
So, as the HDMI was working, i connected the laptop to external display and updated windows to 2004. but no luck. I uninstaleled and deleted the graphic driver until it changed to "Microsoft basic driver". at this situation and also when the intel graphic is disabled, screen works normally without graphic enhancements.
latest graphic driver from intel website didn't solve the issue and the screen goes black as soon as the driver is installed and i should remove it using an external display.
the only driver that works, is the version 10.18.10.3379 12/20/2013 (for win 8.1, from asus website) which just turns on the screen after installation and again screen goes black after restart. in this case i connect it to external display and disable the device and enable it again to turn on the laptop screen. but the problem repeats after the next restart.
when the laptop is cennected to the external diaplay and the driver is installed (not matters what version) all graphic enhancements are available and everything is fluid.
i would be appreciated if someone tell me the solution.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The most recent driver for Intel HD Graphics 4400 is v15.40.46.5144, which you can download from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29804/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=81497. This is the one you should be using.

Hope this helps.

...S

ali2
Novice
Thank you for your reply.
Yes. I'd tested this update before, but the problem didn't solve.
currently the driver for year 2013 works. I just hibernate my laptop. if i shutdown, at the next start i face black screen and should disable and then enable display device using external display via HDMI.
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

ali2, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the problem related to the black screen on the laptop still persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

ali2
Novice
Thank you for reply.
Yes. the problem still persists.
Currently i hibernate laptop to prevent black screen. As everything works correctly, after i disable and then enable display driver and also after turning on from hiberbate mode, i can't determine if it's hardware or a software incompatibility issue.
any further assistance is appreciated.
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

ali2, You are very welcome, we are sorry to hear the issue persists.

Just to let you know, we recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked in ASUS's website and as you mentioned, there is no Graphics driver available for Windows* 10, maybe Windows* 10 is not fully supported by this platform.

In this case, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with ASUS to report this scenario, to verify why there are no Graphics drivers for Windows* 10 available, and to confirm if they might have a fix for this issue, maybe they have a specific Graphics driver version customized for this platform.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos