Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Blank windows on certain applications in Windows 10

AGill5
Beginner

Certain applications display as a blank, white screen in Windows 10. The application does still seem to work, it just displays blank.

I'm using Windows 10 on an XPS13. I've tried the latest Intel drivers as well as the latest drivers on the Dell website, neither of which fix the issue.

If I uninstall all graphics drivers and use the very basic Windows drivers, it works fine, but obviously this isn't a solution as these drivers are incredibly basic.

A good example of an application that does it is the Windows debugging programme called Windbg Preview. It also happens on the Jackbox party games.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello AGill5, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. This behavior can occur due to corrupt game files. Have you tried reinstalling the application/game? If the issue persists, run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread to gather system information. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AGill5
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Thanks for the reply. I did try uninstalling a re-installing, unfortunately this didn't help.

Please find attached my system info file 🙂

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello AGill5, Please follow these steps to perform a clean install of the wireless driver and let us know if the issue persists. 1.Disconnect your unit from the Internet. 2.Uninstall both the Intel Graphics driver and the Intel Display audio driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections: -Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method -Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html 3.Restart your computer. Go to Device Manager and check if Windows installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, please remove it and restart your computer one more time. Repeat the process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. 4.Once you do, please proceed with the clean install of the latest graphics driver customized by your system manufacturer. 5.Once the latest driver has been installed, you may enable the Internet connection again. Also, you may want to check for game updates or patches. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AGill5
Beginner

I tried this and it didn't work unfortunately. I also tried the same process, but with the latest driver from Intel's website and got the same result.

Ironically, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software also has the same issue!

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello AGill5, For testing purposes, we installed Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in a Surface Pro 4, but we were unable to replicate this issue. Hardware: Surface Pro 4 Intel® HD Graphics 520 (Similar graphics capabilities) Intel® Graphics Driver Version:"25.20.100.6519" Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Steam) Windows* 10 10.0.17763 Build 17763. In this scenario, this issue can be caused by either Windows* updates or corrupt drivers. If possible, use an older version of the graphics driver provided by your system manufacturer. If the issue persists, please attach a picture / video of the problem. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AGill5
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Unfortunately I can't install an older version, I've tried lots of different versions and none of it helps! 😞

It happens with Windbg, there's a GIF below. You can see that the application is working as when I hover I can see the tooltips, but the actual application doesn't display. This also happens for Jackbox games and the Intel Rapid Storage Technology applications.

ca7941b0d0f997900f6632f9a2318c3a.gif

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello AGill5, Based on the description of the issue, it seems that you installed a Windows* DCH driver and then rolled back to a non-DCH driver (Legacy driver). This can cause system conflicts. If you remember the latest Intel driver version you installed before rolling back the driver, please let us know. Now, the report attached shows that you are running Windows* 10 10.0.17134 Build 17134. If possible, check Windows* updates, scan and apply all of them. Installing Windows* 10 (RS5) may address this problem. If the issue persists, you may need to use the Dell Windows Backup Media and Recovery Options or contact Dell* for warranty options and support. https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/dell-backup-solutions/Media-backup NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello AGill5, If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AGill5
Beginner

I just installed Windows again from a Dell Recovery USB and that seems to have fixed it!!

Still not sure why I couldn't resolve it without re-installing the OS, but glad it's resolved anyway, thank you for all your help! 🙂

0 Kudos