Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Blurry text on older GPUs with the latest Windows 10 (1803)

FB1
Beginner

I've seen this issue a lot of places online but no-one managed to clearly track it down. So, with an older Intel GPU and the latest update of Windows 10, the text is blurry on some apps

(the title bar is as expected, the rest below is not).

So far it happens with Electron apps, Skype, Visual Studio, … and the issue goes away if you disable hardware accelerated text rendering (for instance Visual Studio Code, pass --disable-gpu). Normal Windows apps (GDI or UWP) are not affected. The issue becomes stronger when the window goes out of focus (try to move the mouse out, etc.). All in all, it makes a lot of apps unusable without a headache.

I don't have this issue on my Surface with a HD Graphics 620. I have it on the Iris 5200 (4th Generation) of my rMBP 15" 2015.

Looking up online it seems to be a problem from Intel graphics drivers, which has been fixed in most recent revisions. But older GPUs, such as the 4th gen, will not be updated and is stuck with version 15.40. Is there any way that Intel will be backporting the fix to older GPUs?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Brunni,

I understand that you are having problems with the text with an older GPU.

Regarding this, I will need to request an Intel ® System Support Utility report, this will give us more information if your system, please refer to the link below to download the tool:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Also, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
FB1
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and pardon the late answer. Please find enclosed the requested reports.

Best regards,

Brunni

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brunni,

Thank you for your response.

I would like you to try to re-install the graphics driver but doing a clean installation of it, you can follow the steps below in order to do so:

1 - Download the .zip driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=81493 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=81493

2 - Disconnect the computer from the internet.

3 - Go to device manager and check under display adapters.

4 - Right-click on the Intel ® Integrated Graphics, select the option uninstall and keep going until you only have Microsoft's basic display adapter.

5 - Unzip the file you downloaded previously.

6 - Right-click on the Microsoft's basic display adapter and select "Update driver".

7 - Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software.

8 - Select the option "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

9 - Select the option "Have disk".

10 - Select the option "Browse".

11 - Access the designated location or folder where you unzipped the driver downloaded and access a folder called "Graphics".

12 - Select the setup information file (Typically named either "idglh64" or "igdlh").

13 - Click on open and then click OK, finally click Next and the drivers will begin to install.

14 - Reboot your computer when the installation is completed.

After this is done, please check and see if the issue persists.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
FB1
Beginner

Hi David,

I have done that procedure to no avail. I've even reinstalled my system. It doesn't exhibit the same issues as long as you don't update to Windows 10 1803.

Note that the current version of the driver is shown as being 20.something. 24 doesn't have the issue, 20 does. What we would need is an update to the 24.x branch for older GPUs or they're tedious to use currently

Best regards,

Brunni

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brunni,

I was checking the information but, up to this point, there are no other steps we can try from our side. Also, I would like to mention that the 24.x and the 20.x is showing the version of Windows that your system is using 24 being the latest update released on April.

An updated Intel® graphics driver is not required on legacy platforms (e.g. 5th Generation and older) for the new Microsoft Windows 10® April update (2018). The existing Windows 10 ® graphics drivers will continue to work with the April update, however if there are any new issues caused by the Windows 10 April update on legacy platforms, our recommendation is to revert back to the previous Windows 10 version. For the best experience with the latest features introduced with the update, we suggest upgrading the platform with a minimum of 6th Generation processors or better.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
FB1
Beginner

Hello David,

Thanks for your investigation. What I'm talking about when I mention version 20.x versus 24.x, it's the one shown from the device manager:

My Surface has version 24, as the GPU is still maintained, while this Iris Pro 5200 has no official driver past 20.x.

Latest download for Iris Pro 5200: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=81493 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Latest download for Intel HD 620 (24.x): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27894/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=96551 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10

Best regards,

Brunni

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brunni,

In this case, an updated Intel® graphics driver is not required on legacy platforms (e.g. 5th Generation and older) for the new Microsoft Windows 10® April update (2018). The existing Windows 10 ® graphics drivers will continue to work with the April update, however if there are any new issues caused by the Windows 10 April update on legacy platforms, our recommendation is to revert back to the previous Windows 10 version.

For the best experience with the latest features introduced with the update, we suggest upgrading the platform with a minimum of 6th Generation processors or better.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Brunni,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
FB1
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks for your time. The case seems unfortunately to have come to a dead end, since Intel will not update the older GPUs although they would require one to function properly on the newest Windows versions.

I am a bit disappointed, knowing that although the CPU is a 5 years old release, I purchased it in a high end product equipping it in 2016 (MacBook Pro 15" 2015), which makes a very quick End Of Life.

Best regards,

Florian

0 Kudos