Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Both Intel ARC A380 and A770 crash my Windows 11 system frequently

oviano
Novice

My system:

Dan A4 v4 Case
MSI Z690I Unify
i7-12700
Corsair CMK32GX5M2B5200C40
NVIDIA 3070
Seagate Firecuda 530 2TB x 2
Noctua NH-L9i-17xx Chromax Black
Noctua NA-FD1
Corsair SF600

System perfectly stable for months.

A few weeks ago I replaced the NVIDIA GPU with an ARC A380. Straightaway it became unstable, with the screen freezing and the only way around it being to power-cycle the PC. I doubt it would last an hour before this occurred, sometimes sooner. It didn't appear to be related to anything the PC was doing, often happening when idle. I turned off display/system sleep, but the issue still occurred. It happens when using both the DisplayPort and HDMI outputs.

I then RMA-d the A380 and left it a few weeks. In the meantime, I re-fitted the NVIDIA GPU and the system was stable again.

Yesterday I took delivery of an ARC A770 to see if that was any better. Sadly not, the exact same issues are occurring again.

In both cases I used the latest GPU driver, including I have tried the latest BETA driver.

What is going on here, Intel?

I'm particularly interested in the AV1 encoding capabilities of this GPU, which is why I am persevering, but this is testing my resilience.

Is there anything I can do to help diagnose and solve the problem for you?

Resizable BAR is enabled on my motherboard. Anything else I can try? I want to help. I'm a developer, I'm technically proficient, if you need some logs or something just tell me where to find them/how to enable them.

0 Kudos
46 Replies
AlHill
Super User

" so pretend i'm in a rocking chair and 90 years old."

Or, under the influence...

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
brentloren
Beginner

**bleep**, I was in the same place. Hello another 90-year-old friend.

0 Kudos
oviano
Novice

So when you say

"Go to Intel:

And please do this first; Make the account and log into Intel.

LET INTEL IDENTIFY YOUR SYSTEM."

You're talking about the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, right?

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/detect.html

0 Kudos
Bill_Mars
Beginner

Go to Support>Resources>Tools and Utilities

On the list you will see "Intel® System Support Utility"

That's the one which identifies and supports your system, not just drivers.

0 Kudos
oviano
Novice

I submitted the report from that in my first reply to Luis.

I just wasn't clear what precisely you meant by...

"Go to Intel:

And please do this first; Make the account and log into Intel.

LET INTEL IDENTIFY YOUR SYSTEM.

And the rest will be smooth sailing... except for the half-dozen re-boots you might have to make."

...as it sounded quite vague.

Anyway so far I have:

- powered off, removed the NVIDIA card, installed the new A380

- booted from Win 11 Installer, erased the disk, installed Windows

- installed the chipset driver for the MB from MSI's support website

- checked for/installed all available Windows updates, repeatedly until there were no more

- ran the Driver & Support Assistant to install drivers for all the devices it recognises, which included the ARC A380 driver version 3802

- rebooted a few more times for good measure

- enabled crash dumps according to link sent by Luis. Tested this once (control + scroll_lock twice) and verified that it forced the machine to write the dump and reboot.

I will now try and make it/wait for it to freeze and see if I can still create the dump.

(By the way, how annoying is ARC Control taking ages to launch and then 1) requiring administrator access to "change something" every boot, and 2) taking over the whole screen as an overlay, stopping you what you're doing. That will be disabled/uninstalled if I ever get this system stable!)

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello oviano, 

In order to investigate with extra useful information, may we get the following.

We have tested MSI MAG Z590 TOMAHAWK WIFI with an Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics and did not experience any apparent issues though.

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
oviano
Novice

Hello @LuisGustav_A_Intel

Please re-test with a motherboard with DisplayPort IN. The model you referred to above does not have DisplayPort IN according to the spec.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-Z590-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/Specification

I will try and generate a kernel or crash dump, but I'm not 100% sure if this will be possible because in this situation the computer freezes and does not actually crash/reboot.

I'll look into it though!

0 Kudos
oviano
Novice

Batch file that always leads to the system freezing on my system before it completes all the commands:

ffmpeg -vcodec hevc_qsv -i football.mp4 -vcodec av1_qsv -profile:v main -preset veryslow -vb 1000k -maxrate 1000k -bf 0 -g 300 football_qsv_av1_1000k_v2_1.mp4 -y
ffmpeg -vcodec hevc_qsv -i football.mp4 -vcodec av1_qsv -profile:v main -preset veryslow -vb 1000k -bf 0 -g 300 football_qsv_av1_1000k_v2_2.mp4 -y
ffmpeg -vcodec hevc_qsv -i football.mp4 -vcodec av1_qsv -profile:v main -preset veryslow -vb 2000k -maxrate 2000k -bf 0 -g 300 football_qsv_av1_2000k_v2_1.mp4 -y
ffmpeg -vcodec hevc_qsv -i football.mp4 -vcodec av1_qsv -profile:v main -preset veryslow -vb 2000k -bf 0 -g 300 football_qsv_av1_2000k_v2_2.mp4 -y
ffmpeg -vcodec hevc_qsv -i football.mp4 -vcodec av1_qsv -profile:v main -preset veryslow -vb 3000k -maxrate 3000k -bf 0 -g 300 football_qsv_av1_3000k_v2_1.mp4 -y
ffmpeg -vcodec hevc_qsv -i football.mp4 -vcodec av1_qsv -profile:v main -preset veryslow -vb 3000k -bf 0 -g 300 football_qsv_av1_3000k_v2_2.mp4 -y
ffmpeg -vcodec hevc_qsv -i football.mp4 -vcodec av1_qsv -profile:v main -preset veryslow -vb 4000k -maxrate 4000k -bf 0 -g 300 football_qsv_av1_4000k_v2_1.mp4 -y
ffmpeg -vcodec hevc_qsv -i football.mp4 -vcodec av1_qsv -profile:v main -preset veryslow -vb 4000k -bf 0 -g 300 football_qsv_av1_4000k_v2_2.mp4 -y
ffmpeg -vcodec hevc_qsv -i football.mp4 -vcodec av1_qsv -profile:v main -preset veryslow -vb 6000k -maxrate 6000k -bf 0 -g 300 football_qsv_av1_6000k_v2_1.mp4 -y
ffmpeg -vcodec hevc_qsv -i football.mp4 -vcodec av1_qsv -profile:v main -preset veryslow -vb 6000k -bf 0 -g 300 football_qsv_av1_6000k_v2_2.mp4 -y
ffmpeg -vcodec hevc_qsv -i football.mp4 -vcodec av1_qsv -profile:v main -preset veryslow -vb 8000k -maxrate 8000k -bf 0 -g 300 football_qsv_av1_8000k_v2_1.mp4 -y
ffmpeg -vcodec hevc_qsv -i football.mp4 -vcodec av1_qsv -profile:v main -preset veryslow -vb 8000k -bf 0 -g 300 football_qsv_av1_8000k_v2_2.mp4 -y

Source input file:

https://ovcollyer-colebrooke.dyndns.org:4001/d/s/r5qm4zIURxrogQ9tAkee6Na6kMACl4NH/-YLQRSo2-6BuyfXDxkqoaMQj8nMh95jA-77vgIMDRBAo

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello oviano, 

Thank you for the information provided. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
oviano
Novice
There was nothing that stood out in the event logs after reboot.

I don’t see any option in the link above fir being able to generate a crash dump when the machine has frozen (so I cannot control it with the keyboard or login remotely) but it hasn’t rebooted or fully crashed by itself.

Are you going to follow my suggestion to try and reproduce this on a motherboard with DP IN? It’s the one common denominator between the two reports of similar instability so worth checking out?
0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello oviano,  

Thank you for the update. 

About the 2x displayport/thunderbolt 4 ports from the MEG Z690I UNIFY, the allocated lanes that's through the onboard Intel® Core™ i7-12700K Processor/ Intel® UHD Graphics 770. Please elaborate what you exactly mean about this as a possible factor of consideration. 

I am investigating if we can reproduce using batch file FFmpeg from the file source you provided, however normally we asked for the memory dump file, did you check other options to when it freezes. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
oviano
Novice
It was just that the only two reports of this issue in these forums involved these relatively raw motherboards with a DP un so it seemed worthy of investigation. Clearly it’s a rare issue.
0 Kudos
oviano
Novice

So an update @LuisGustav_A_Intel 

What I did today:

- powered off, removed the NVIDIA card, installed the new A380

- booted from Win 11 Installer, erased the disk, installed Windows

- installed the chipset driver for the MB from MSI's support website

- checked for/installed all available Windows updates, repeatedly until there were no more

- ran the Driver & Support Assistant to install drivers for all the devices it recognises, which included the ARC A380 driver version 3802

- rebooted a few more times for good measure

- enabled crash dumps according to the link you posted.

- tested crash dump this once (control + scroll_lock twice) and verified that it forced the machine to write the dump and reboot.

- tried to copy my test video files to the machine (around 25GB) but the whole system froze at about 78%

- attempted to trigger a crash dump, but it didn't response to control + scroll lock twice this time

For the last week this machine had the NVIDIA card and was stable. It hasn't lasted more than a few hours with the ARC.

What should I try next?

0 Kudos
oviano
Novice

Ok, so the last attempt to run my FFmpeg encoding batch file appears to have automatically triggered a crash and restart and memory dump.

I left it running the FFmpeg encodes, and came back to find the computer restarting and a corresponding MEMORY.DMP file had been created.

@LuisGustav_A_Intel you can find it here:

https://ovcollyer-colebrooke.dyndns.org:4001/d/s/rNKisC7nlIfvDOLJUW4Wv2EJDc76W4m8/DpMtsnLqc48A226GEHqYQBASp_mblqcc-PLtgTWANBwo

0 Kudos
oviano
Novice

I had a cursory look at the MEMORY.dmp file using WinDbg and it appears to have dumped because the graphics driver has frozen for a certain period of time.

This is the only occasion whereby it's actually triggered a dump; usually it freezes but the memory dumping system doesn't detect it so it just stays frozen (all night, forever, it would seem), but I'll try and get further dumps if I can by continually retrying.

0 Kudos
oviano
Novice

So I need to remove this card now and re-instate the NVIDIA GPU so I can use my PC reliably again.

I will probably RMA the A770, but keep the A380 for now. I'll keep an eye out for new drivers, and if I see anything that suggests Intel have figured out the cause of my woes I'm happy to swap it back and give it another go.

In the meantime, here are the two memory dumps I was able to produce.

The first occurred when it rebooted itself during the middle of a sequence of FFmpeg AV1 encodes using the GPU. This is a kernel dump.

https://ovcollyer-colebrooke.dyndns.org:4001/d/s/rQaaObJPEJ16OCThsw25Cu3Ep9csMbgo/a8ufoLXtzVsnn11hNndK6zq_QiB4GfNC-TrxA-8yeCQo

The second occurred when the machine was (I believe) idle at the time and froze and this was for once detected by some sort of system watchdog and it produced another memory dump. This is a full memory dump, which is why its bigger.

https://ovcollyer-colebrooke.dyndns.org:4001/d/s/rQdsPexibI7Kz6AY9HFpOJmSr2eDxH4X/Rw6U3muZVV0OPuFtWnzwQCaau42pyGCD-Ub3gEV6fCQo

Despite many freezes these are the only two times I was able to produce a memory dump. On all other occasions it just froze and the only way forward was to power-cycle the machine. If it's of any interest, the GPU fan seemed to continue to vary its speed during these freezes, so *something* was still functioning.

Anyway, I hope an engineer finds this useful, but I've spent enough time on this now and tried all the suggestions multiple times with the same result...

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello oviano,

We ran the script provided and did not experience any crashes/lockups. This problem may be the specific system, please contact your motherboard vendor for further assistance. 

This thread will no longer be monitored. If you need further support, please post a new question to provide assistance.   

Thank you for choosing Intel. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
oviano
Novice

@LuisGustav_A_Intel

That comes across as quite disrespectful considering the lengths I went to in preparing and uploading enormous MEMORY dump files that you specifically asked for.

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello oviano, 

We apologize for the inconvenience on this matter. We gathered all that type of information for reproduction in our environment with most alike hardware/software and due to the results were negative in the sense of not experiencing the same crashes/lockups. We believe it's your particular system and for additional troubleshooting support you may want to contact them for support. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
oviano
Novice

Hello @LuisGustav_A_Intel 

Did an engineer look at the memory dump files I uploaded for you, that you asked for?

If you can clarify whether you did or not, that would be great, as it would be useful information for when I contact MSI support.

Regards

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello oviano, definetely we looked the dump files you provided. It was tested in our side running the script provided on the system detailed below and did not experience any crash. This is the reason we encourage you contact MSI for support as the problem may be specific to your system. 

Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K

GPU: Intel Arc A770 Limited Edition

GFX Driver: 31.0.101.3802

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos