Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Can I Stream 4K Content on Netflix?

DSera
Beginner

Hi,

I am struggling to stream 4k content on Netflix with my brand new PC. I am using the onboard graphic drivers and I have downloaded the latest drivers for my processor (Intel Graphics 630). The PC has the following specs:

- Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7 (Coffee-Lake Processor)

-Asus ROG Maximus X Hero

- Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (updated with the latest drivers)

In principle, I should be able to stream 4k content on Netflix, but I get as maximum a 1080p resolution. I am trying both the Edge browser and the Windows 10 Netflix app (downloaded from the Microsoft Store). My connection speed is higher than 25 Mbps, I have a TV Sony XE90 Series HDCP 2.2, HDR 10) and I have the ultra hd suscription with Netflix. I have also enabled and installed the Intel SGX extension, but I cannot stream 4k content on Netflix yet. Am I missing something? Should I download any driver or enable any option from the Mobo?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi danser86,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Let me help you on this matter.

I will try to replicate this issue and I will update this thread as soon as I get news about this.

Thank you for your patience.

Allan J
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi danser86,

Thank you for your patience. I was trying to replicate this matter and I need some information about your hardware configuration. Please fill out the following form as complete as possible.

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
DSera
Beginner

Dear all,

May thanks for your patience and assistgance. Please find attached the requested information.

Should you need further details, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Danilo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi danser86,

Thank you for the information, I have forwarded this information to the appropriate team. I will update this thread as soon as I get news about this matter.

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi danser86,

I have been testing and trying to replicate this matter. I was able to play Netflix using UltraHD TV and premium plan. I did not have any problem in my lab.

Can you provide the movie or series you are trying to play on this computer?

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
DSera
Beginner

Dear Allan J.

Many thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I cannot stream 4K content on Netflix yet. I have also tried to reboot the pc and use a configuration without the discrete GPU (Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti), but the results are the same.

How did you manage to stream in 4k? Which drivers / settings did you use? I have tried both the Windoows Edge and the Windows 10 Neflix app, but in no case I could stream in 4k. Please find attached the related screenshots.

I have also an issue with the HDR option. As you may see in the picture, there is no the option to enable HDR. Conversely, if I use the Nvidia graphic card, I can display HDR content without any problem.

I also tried to upgrade the lspcon firmaware with the BOBcat aux-isp tool, but I get an error Message "Connection failed. ISP not detected".

I attach again all the information you need.

Best regards,

Danilo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi danser86,

Thank you for the information.

What is the software you are currently using to check video quality?

Are you able to play 4K videos on the computer with onboard graphics controller?

Please make sure that depending on the zone you live in, the streaming content in Netflix will vary.

Thank you for your time.

Allan J.
0 Kudos
DSera
Beginner

Dear Allan,

I can play 4k videos in Youtube, but I cannot stream 4K contents in Netflix. I tried to stream "House of Cards", "Stranger Things" and "The Punisher" from the PS4 Pro and the Sony integrated app. In both cases, I get 4k without any problem. That said, I prefer to stream 4K content from my pc, because it delivers a better sound.

I have also the issue with the HDR option. As you can see in the latest pictures I sent you, I cannot activate the HDR option. Conversely, I can do it from my Nvidia graphic card. Could you please check also this problem?

Regards,

danser86

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi danser86,

Thank you for the details. I am still researching this matter. I will come back as soon as I get news on this.

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Hi danser86,

Thank you for your patience.

Please noticed that a new graphics driver was released this week, this is version 4944

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27484/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-65-?product=126790

I did try to play Netflix with the latest graphics drivers and I was able to play on 4K. Check image attached.

Additionally, please try @Gary_Berry's recommended extension.

Hope it works

Allan J.

0 Kudos
GBerr
Beginner

@danser86 - Have you installed the HEVC Video Extension from the Windows Store? You need that if you don't have it already. If that doesn't work, check to see if SGX is enabled in the BIOS. If not, enable it and try again. That should do the trick. That said, I don't have your mobo, so I can't promise anything.

0 Kudos
DSera
Beginner

Dear Allan,

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I an finally stream 4K content on Netflix without any problem, Maybe I just needed the HEVC codecs as you suggested. The bad news is that I cannot get the HDR option yet.

My Mobo (ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero) does not support HDMI 2.0, just 1.4. So, I have bought this DP1.2 to HDMI 2.0

http://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2366/displayportt-1.2-to-hdmit-2.0-uhd-active-adapter/ http://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2366/displayportt-1.2-to-hdmit-2.0-uhd-active-adapter/

The adapter Works, because now I have a 4k resolution @60 hz (before it was limited at 30), but I still cannot get the HDR option.

Can you please assist me in this issue?

Best,

danser86

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi danser86,

I think this is the same discussion we're having here

Please check my latest reply in that thread. Essentially the DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0a adapter won't work as the DP output needs to be revision 1.3 or higher.

Let me check for other options and I'll update the other thread as soon as possible since this one is specific to Netflix and 4K.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
GBerr
Beginner

@danser86 - As I understand things, HDR is activated by LSPCON chips on the motherboard. Until HDR is baked into Intel's hardware, you need such a chip (e.g., MegaChips MDCP2800) in order to get HDR. I can't comment on your particular hardware, only on mine (ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac), which has the chip and can do HDR.

0 Kudos
DSera
Beginner

@Gary_Berry, you are right. It seems that I need this chip in order to get HDR. It's the only explanation why I am not getting HDR. I have tried all the possible drivers, but it did not work. And it seems that the DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter does not work either, even if now i can get 4k @ 60hz. I will contact Asus just to ask them whether they can provide me a solution.

Ronald, if I understood correctly, in the HDR white paper you said that future Intel graphic drivers won't need the LSPCon chip in order to get HDR. Is it correct? Are you working on it? If not, is there any other solution to get HDR?

Many thanks.

Best,

danser86
0 Kudos