Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Can I update/upgrade my video?

abutt9
Beginner

I am trying to play a new game but it wont let me because my video is not high enough. i have a Dell laptop with these specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.6GHz

Installed RAM: 8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)

Product ID: 00325-95804-06594-AAOEM

System type: 64-but operating system, x64-based processor

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlHill
Super User

No, you cannot upgrade your video/graphics. On a laptop, you (typically) have graphics that are integrated with the processor. You have a U processor, which means your processor is soldered to the motherboard, and cannot be upgraded.

You can update the processor graphics driver. However, from what you are asking, it will likely not satisfy your needs.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/124967/intel-core-i5-8250u-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html

Your laptop may also include another graphics processor (nvidia or amd), creating a "dual graphics" environment. However, those also cannot be upgraded.

If you have a USB-C port, you might want to explore an eGPU for graphics.

If you can upgrade your memory, the additional memory may be what your games need. The Intel processor graphics will allocate up to 50% of your system memory for graphics.

These are questions best directed to the laptop manufacturer.

Or, get a gaming laptop with a faster processor.

Doc