Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Can Intel HD Graphics 620 support a 2560 x 1440 monitor?

CKlei3
Beginner

· I have a Dell U2711 monitor that I used to run at its max resolution of 2560 x 1440 @ 59 Hz using a DVI-D cable attached to an HP Elitebook.

· I have now replaced the HP with a Dell XPS 13 9360, which uses Intel HD Graphics 620 to run the built-in screen at 3200 x 1800 (QHD+)

· The Intel 620 has native resolutions of 3200 x 1800, 2560 x 1600, 2048 x 1536, etc., but not 2560 x 1440.

· In spite of this, Dell told me that I would be able to use my U2711 monitor with the XPS 13.

· The XPS 13 does not have a graphics port and relies instead on a video adapter attached to a USB 3.1 Type C (Thunderbird 3) port.

· To operate the U2711, Dell sold me a VisionTek USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI Adapter, which is plug-and-play.

· The HDMI cable I have is 6.5 ft long and meets the HDMI 1.4 specification, which is supposed to be adequate for this set-up.

· In spite of this, I am getting only 1920 x 1080 resolution on the U2711

· VisionTeck technical support suggested that I try setting a custom resolution of 2560 x 1440 on the Intel 620.

· In spite of warning from the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel that custom resolutions are risky, I decided to try a brief test, setting a custom resolution of 2560 x 1440

· This attempt only produced a message from the Control Panel, saying that there is not enough bandwidth for the setting.

· VisionTek then said that the bandwidth problem must lie with the HDMI cable or the Intel 620 graphics card, but it must be the card because my cable meets HDMI 1.4.

· I then contacted Dell technical support, and they tried downloading numerous driver updates (chip set drivers, audio drivers, …) to no avail.

· Dell now tells me that they will research this and call me back.

· HAS ANYONE RUN INTO THIS PROBLEM, OR A SIMILAR ONE, AND SOLVED IT?

<span style="color: # 000000;...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello cwk,

I understand you are trying to use a screen resolution of 2560x1440 on your Dell U2711 monitor.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

Yes, Intel HD Graphics 620 supports 2560x1440 screen resolution.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .xml file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Please also include the Intel Graphics Driver Report. This link will show you how to generate it http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Fred

0 Kudos
CKlei3
Beginner

Hello Fred/Intel

AND SO: there is no need for Intel to apologize, because the inconvenience was caused by Dell. They sold me an adapter that DOES NOT REALLY support their own U2711 monitor!!!

At the same time that I contacted you via this community, I was becoming suspicious about running an HDMI cable to the U2711, because the monitor itself had been delivered with the DVI-D dual link cable that I had previously been using, even though it has an HDMI input. Searching the web about the U2711 then revealed a bunch of conflicting information, but this included claims that the HDMI port would support only 1080p (e.g. on page 33 of the user manual!). (A few folk out there seem to have accomplished complex workarounds on the HDMI limitation, getting higher res.)

Dell does not sell a USB Type-C (Thunderbolt 3) to DVI-D adaptor, so I searched and found the Cable Matters # 201019 Adapter that does just this, getting 24 hr delivery.

AND VOILA! 2560 x 1440 resolution. Your Graphics 620 instantly responded, no adjustments or fiddling needed.

Thanks for having responded to my plight so quickly and seriously. Now onto getting Dell to accept a return of their useless adapter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi cwk,

I am glad to hear the issue has been fixed. Do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Fred

0 Kudos
HelpSeeker1
Beginner

@idata, I have the same issue as OP. Can you help?:

My Lenovo T470 laptop has an HDMI input and, though, as you can see, from the attached Intel HD Graphics report, the Dell U2711b monitor supports up to 2560x1440px, it actually displays only upto 1680x1050px, which is even worse than my T470, which is displaying 1920x1080. And all because of the INTEL card which doesn't even accept a custom resolution of 1680x1050px @ 59Hz.

Because of this, this high end monitor has become almost unusable, what with fuzzy display due to a very poor resolution!

I have used the Dual Link DVI cable to connect from the monitor, and used an HDMI extender to connect one of the Male ends of the Dual Link DVI to the HDMI extender, and connected the male end of the HDMI extender to my laptop's HDMI input.

0 Kudos
HelpSeeker1
Beginner

@CKlei3, my T470 laptop has an HDMI port. Are you hence saying that HDMI v1.3 to DVI-D adaptor would solve this for me? If so and if it's not too much to ask, would you be able to suggest some such connectors online? I tried looking at several places, but couldn't find one with the above specs! Many Thanks!

0 Kudos
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Hey @HelpSeeker1 ,

Can you post your own question/thread?  Old threads get closed and aren't monitored by Intel anymore. And iData is from a user who's left (now called Intel data). 

Thanks,

Mary T.

Support Community Manager

0 Kudos