Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Can anyone play this 4k ultra hd 2160p50 clip

idata
Employee

Can anyone play this 4k ultra hd 2160p50 clip without stuttering? http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=42 http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=42 you can download the clip by clicking download

0 Kudos
48 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

Latest LAV x64 has more CPU usage then PotPlayer codec on 10 bit video on skylake: 40-70%+ vs 30-40%

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

You have to select DXVA native from LAV Video properties in order to use the hybrid 10bit HEVC decoder of Skylake.

Without hardware acceleration or using DXVA copy-back, the CPU usage is going high even using very fast CPUs like Skylake.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I tested everything. Last LAV build is crap. But I don't really care because, don't use it ...

And latest nightly build MPC-HC has a big problem, like I said in an earlier post. When I jump on the time bar to for example from 0:10 min to 0:30 it takes like 10 second to resume play, no matter what setting I do. I never liked MPC-HC, because of lots of missing features.

P.S.: I got rid of that time bar delay but the CPU load is 50-100% no matter what settings I make to LAV ...

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

@Ronin

PotPlayer doesn't invent anything new.

They just copy in a brilliant way other's people work, like LAV filters.

For fast seeking in MPC-HC you can try Options-> Tweaks-> Fast seek.

Moreover you can try a different player with different codecs (not LAV Video) which is MPC-BE, not to be confused with MPC-HC.

MPC-BE uses DXVA native only, not copy-back mode, so if you manage to enable HW acceleration with that player (which is easy and IIRC it's on by default) you will definitely get the lowest CPU usage possible.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I know that it doesn't invent anything. Its just that they optimized it more, and their main codecs are not based on LAV, but on FFmpeg and DMO.

MPC-BE worked ok from first time. I didn't have to set anything. Pitty it doesn't have TV tuner capabilities .

0 Kudos
NNiko6
New Contributor I

One of the developers of FFMPEG is the developer of LAV filters.

And the only developer of DXVA HW acceleration of FFMPEG is the developer of LAV filters.

So, if someone is using the DXVA acceleration of FFMPEG, he is actually using the LAV filter's developer work

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Well as long as it's free they are not doing something bad. We should be happy that some people know how to implement and use the codecs properly, and we should be grateful to them. It was very hard to find a 64-bit player which is very flexible, configurable and doesn't contain malware or things like that.

0 Kudos