Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Can somebody help me indicating what kind of issue this is hardware or driver or ...

Akenis
Beginner

I have a dell inspiron 3793 with an intel iris plus graphics 

When i work suddenly my screen turns black with white flashing stripes ( see attached mp4 )

when i click with my mouse i get my screen back but when i scroll my screen gets distorted.

The distortion you can see in the attached images and video.

The distortion stays within the area of a windows and if i right click it is temporarly gone.

The weird thing is if the distortion is on the screen and i do a prtscr and paste in pbrush i can't see the distortion.

Can somebody point me out what the problem could be of how to describe the issue.

What has allready tried:

- reinstall windows from 0

- reinstall with different driver versions of videocard

- replace motherboard with onboard graphics card

- replace lcd 

- replace connector cable lcd to motherboard

- issue is when on battery and on power

- issue is in all resolution modes

- issue is on 60 hz and 4x hz

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Akenis, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

So we can better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system. 

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer 
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow this link.  

3. Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a screenshot or .txt file. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.  

I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with the report(s) to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities. 

4. Just to confirm, you mentioned you have already changed the motherboard along with the CPU and the integrated graphics, also changed the LCD and the LCD cable to the motherboard and the issue persists, correct?  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Akenis,  

Thank you for your internal response via e-mail. 

This problem does not appear to be a bug with our graphics card or drivers since: you tried different driver versions and they all have the same behavior, you tested with different OS reinstallations, it seems to be isolated to your Dell system. 

I will recommend you to try the following: 

1. Try a clean install of the graphics drivers using the latest Intel generic driver just for testing purposes: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30148/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers  

1. Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer. 

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center from Control Panel Programs and Features

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
  2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
  3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 
  4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1. 

8. Restart the computer. 

9. Reconnect to the Internet. 

2. Test with an external monitor/TV and see if the issue persists. 

In any case, we believe you should continue to work with the system manufacturer (OEM) for further help. You may want to request a full replacement to avoid other components of the system causing this issue, or they can debug if this is a compatibility issue with the driver and their system configuration.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Akenis
Beginner

Hi,

Thx for the response, I just tried it and the issue is still in place.

If you see the movies and photo's how would you best describe the issue?

Kr,

Alex Kenis

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Akenis,   

Thanks for the reply. 

Can you explain in more detail what your question is? If I understand it correctly, I would describe the issue in the same way you did it: A screen bug showing weird stripes and distorted images when scrolling up/down through the screen.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Akenis
Beginner

Well my native languague is not english,

but if i want to search the internet for other users with this problem and maybe resolutions

its best that i search in english to find more info about it.

But i can't find the good search terms for this issue.

That's way i was wandering what the best way is to describe the issue.

Hoping to find somebody who had the same issue.

I have to admit it's pretty weird and it intriges me to find a solution.

Kr, 

Alex Kenis 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Akenis

Thank you for your response.

We believe that you have provided a clear description of the issue. However, in order to improve "search results", you may add keywords to your search like "blurry display, display-graphics artifacts, graphical distortion, display goes black", etc., and add the model of your system (in case this issue is specific to this system model). Also, if posting on additional forums, you may provide the videos and images that you shared here so it would be very helpful for other users to understand the issue (in case they want to provide more suggestions.).

At this point, we believe that the recommended step is following Sebastian's advice about continuing working with Dell*. However, please allow us to double-check this and we will be posting back soon in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Akenis
Beginner

Thx,

Dell picked up today the laptop for the third time hopefully it is then fixed.

Gr,

Alex Kenis

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Akenis

Thank you for the feedback provided, we are glad to know that DELL* is still providing further assistance.

In this case, since they have picked up the laptop and since they have been working on this (and they have described a similar known issue with the BIOS), then our recommendation is to continue working with Dell* and ask for a BIOS update or a solution to their issue.

We have been working with different systems (e.g 10th generation Intel® NUCs) and no issues at all with the graphics like the one reported, so this doesn't seem to be a driver issue. Hopefully, your OEM may provide you with more assistance and debugging.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our end. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Akenis
Beginner

Hi Grant,

I found the reason of my problem.

When the hardware accelaration is activated in office the issue occurs.

See technical document:

Some Office applications are not responding - Office | Microsoft Docs

I tried with updating office but didn't help, i'm on level:  office version : 16.0.13901.20148

I also updated to the latest intel driver but didn't help, i'm on level : Intel Iris Plus driver : 27.20.100.8681

and in this driver the issue should be fixed but it isn't yet.

I'm now in contact with dell for over half a year to get the issue solved but their technical level is not acceptable.

The last actions they have done for example :

- After 15 reinstall they had the laptop for 2 weeks to have another reinstall to see that the issue is still in place.

- After being the motherboard,gpu,display being replaced they now ask to sent the laptop to them so they can inspect it and send a replacement with the same model, i'll loose my laptop for indefinte time meanwhile. This after i explained the issue was resolved when turning off the hardware acceleration.

So i asked to look into the driver to get a solution but they advice for a hardware replacement with same model ( which is the same as they did earlier by changing the mb,gpu and display )

So in my humble opinion this will not solve the issue and will be again a lost of time and effort and laptop.

When i don't use the dell vendors drives but the latest ones from Intel I have the same problem.

Is there any chance you can help in this case to get your technical guys to have a look at it so it can be solved for me and other Intel Iris Plus users?

Please let me know if Intel can help in this case.

Kr,

Alex Kenis

0 Kudos