Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

Can the HD 630 in my laptop output 1080p @120hz on an external monitor?

Dhanush
Beginner

Can my laptop with intel HD 630 support 1080p @120hz on an 144hz external monitor when connected through my laptop's HDMI port? It also has a dicrete GPU- GTX 1050 2GB (mobile)

Laptop:

MSI GL62M 7RD 

i7-7700HQ 16GB RAM

Motherboard: MS-16J9

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Dhanush, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I would like to let you know that your Intel® processor graphics will support up to 4096x2304@30Hz via HDMI, therefore; in terms of bandwidth it should be more than enough. 1080p@60Hz require a bandwidth of 7.46 Gbps (check the "1080p" file attached) and 4096x2304@30Hz will need 8.49 Gbps (check the "4k" file attached). Based on that, it will also depend on the monitor, cable, and computer port being used; so you will need to double-check with the system and monitor's manufacturer. 

So we can have more details from your system, you can also provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow this link (if the desired monitor is available, make sure to connect it before providing this report). 

3. Provide the monitor's brand and model number (if available).  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

Dhanush
Beginner

Hi @Sebastian_M_Intel, thank you for replying. I wanted to know if it supports 120hz on a 1080p monitor so that I could buy a suitable 120-144hz monitor. I dont currently have any high refresh rate monitors to test it out on.

I have previously tested it on my tv and at the maximum, it works at 4k @30hz like you've said. But the "4k file" you've attached is 4k @60hz, requiring 16.99Gbps. 30hz would probably be half of that- at 8.49Gbps I assume. Which makes me think the output bandwidth would be sufficient?

If I can confirm the laptop would be able to output 1080p @120hz, I would go ahead to buy the monitor. I will be using an HDMI 2.0 cable. The laptop also has a mini-display port, should I be using that instead? I've attached the SSU report.

This is the monitor model im looking at: Acer KG241QP

0 Kudos
Dhanush
Beginner

Here is the SSU report:

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Dhanush,  

Thank you for your reply. 

I am sorry that I made a mistake checking the bandwidth, I did use 60Hz instead of 30Hz, the bandwidth is as you mentioned 8.49 Gbps please check the new "4k" file attached. 

Using DisplayPort (DP) is even better as it supports more bandwidth, in fact, your graphics will support up to 4k@60Hz using DP, check that here under Processor Graphics and check "4k-DP" attached for the bandwidth: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97185/intel-core-i7-7700hq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html 

Our recommendation will be checking directly with the system manufacturer (OEM) to see if they have tested an external monitor with this resolution with your specific system model.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Dhanush,  

Were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations? Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Dhanush,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos