Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Cannot play audio output through HDMI. "intel display audio" is not present in "device manager" of windows 10.

ECeri2
Beginner

Hi, I have ASUS N580VD with i7-7700HQ CPU @2.80GHz.

I have windows 10 home 64bits. Version: 1909. OS build: 18363.628

Since almost a year I cannot send audio through HDMI to my TV (I tried Samsung UE55NU7400, Hisense TV, and LG TV). Video is perfect. Audio is available only from speakers of my ASUS laptop, and it is impossible to play from my TV connected through HDMI.

what I have done until now:

-uninstalled all audio drivers "conexant audio drivers", and reinstalled them from ASUS website. Tried both latest "V8.66.64.0" and older "V8.66.77.57".

-uninstalled all graphic card drivers "intel HD graphics 630" and

reinstalled with all available different versions, from intel website and from ASUS website. I tried the following versions: V24.20.100.6286 (from ASUS), V24.20.100.6025.01 (from ASUS), 26.20.100.7262 (from windows update), 26.20.100.7755 (from intel)

-uninstalled all NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 drivers and installed all the following 26.21.14.4219 (NVIDIA), V23.21.13.8857 (ASUS), V22.21.13.8253(ASUS)

-uninstalled windows 10 formatted everything and reinstalled windows 10 home 64bits. Version: 1909. OS build: 18363.628 from scratch. tried again all the installations listed above.

I am not able to play audio through HDMI yet and "intel display audio" is not shown anywhere (neither among the hidden devices) in "device manager".

Sound->playback does not show any device (as TV) available to reproduce audio (disconnected devices are shown)

further useful information:

HDMI cable is working. I tried it on two other devices and both audio and videos were ok. I tried even another HDMI cable: no success.

The problem is still there even if I connect the ASUS laptop to the TV through USB-C 3.1 connection: video is ok, audio is only available from my ASUS pc (so no issues with the HDMI connector of my ASUS).

If I connect my laptop to the TV through "connect to a wireless display" everything is fine. Both video and audio are reproduced from my TV. In "audio and inputs" of device manager there is "digital output()" and in "sound->playback" "digital output" is normally present.

the issue is there only when I connect the HDMI cable.

Please help me solving this problem

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is the complete full model number of your laptop?

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Using the model number of your laptop in your initial post, I see these specifications:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Pro-15-N580VD/specifications/

It indicates to me that you do not have intel diisplay audio. The specs say you have "ASUS SonicMaster Technology". I believe this is why you do not see Intel display audio in the device manager.

An option is to check the bios, and even update the bios. Look in the bios for settings that may control your display and audio. Ask Asus for assistance with this, as it is their bios.

You may have waited too long, as you have only a 1 year warranty.

Doc

0 Kudos
ECeri2
Beginner

Hi, thank you for your answer.

Yes, it is true I waited too long...

I wrote to ASUS and I am waiting for an answer. I cannot find anywhere ASUS sonicmaster Software / settings, I just have "ICEsound" and "conexant drivers" provided by ASUS (instead of "intel high definition audio") but changing settings/updating them is not helping the situation.

I even checked my BIOS, I have the latest version and there is not any setting about audio.

Since I have intel i7-7700HQ do you think I can "disable" this embedded ASUS sonicmaster technology and use the common "intel high definition audio"?.

Every time I disable/uninstall "conexant audio drivers" (provided by ASUS) they self-download themselves every time I have internet connection.

When I am offline with "Conexant audio drivers" uninstalled, "high definition audio" from intel appears as default playback sound device and sound on my laptop is fine but still I have no success making it work through the HDMI since "intel display audio" never appears as a device in the "sounds, video and game controller" in "device manager".

As soon as I connect to internet, "conexant drivers" are downloaded and "conexant sound device" takes place of "intel high definition audio device".

thanks in advance.

Edoardo

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, I do not think that will work. This seems like a design and integration issue with this laptop. If Asus chose to not expose the Intel display audio (and even the intel graphics), then there is not much you can do.

Sorry, but only ASUS can confirm these limitations.

Doc

0 Kudos
ECeri2
Beginner

thank you. I could never imagine that ASUS would disable intel display audio, and intel high definition audio on purpose. I will wait for the answer of ASUS and I will post news.

I want to point out that when I uninstall "conexant audio device" the system automatically sets "intel high definition audio" as default playback device and everything is working fine, until with an internet connection windows automatically updates the drivers and installs again the ASUS "conexant audio device". Anyway the "intel display audio" never appeared as a device.

let's wait for an official answer from ASUS.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You may want to try blocking the conexant using this microsoft (clumsy) tool:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

Doc

0 Kudos
ECeri2
Beginner

thank you again. I will definitely do that when ASUS will answer me. I hope reinstalling Intel graphics drivers without a "conexant device" enabled is enough to make it install even the "intel display driver", which is now not available at all.

let's wait.

Edoardo

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So let's back up and ask the simple questions. Have you checked the mixer to see whether there is an audio output capability that has been disabled or that is not being used (in favor of some other)?

...S

0 Kudos
Max44
Beginner

Enable the audio device in Windows 10 and 8

1. Right-click the notification area speaker icon , and then select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  2. Select the device you want to troubleshoot, and then click Next to start the troubleshooter.
  3. If a recommended action displays, select Apply this fix, and then test for sound.
0 Kudos