Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Cherry Trail Graphnics with Windows 10 1803

EMull
Beginner

Since installed Windows 10 April Update (1803) I now have pixelization on the far right edge of my display. I'm using an Insignia 10.1" tablet, which is on a Cherry Trail chipset. If I roll back to 1709, I do not have the issue. This leads me to believe it's driver related. However, I'm running the latest drivers, not sure where to go from here.

Attached is an SSU report.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I noticed that last night as well, but on a compute stick, STK2M3W64CC. My pixelization was in a small area in the lower middle of the screen. I did not roll back. Instead, I rebooted and it went away. I have not done an exhaustive test. However, my bios and graphics driver are up-to-date.

So, you are not alone. It is either a 1803 or driver issue.

Also, I installed 1803 on 10 PCs last night. Yes, I enjoy pain. With the number of different problems, I am convinced that 1803 is not ready for prime time.

Doc

0 Kudos
EMull
Beginner

I scanned for available drivers and found a new graphics driver (20.19.15.4963) this afternoon. I installed it, and the issue persists.

Attached is an updated SSU report.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dashaund

Thank you for your response.

Could you provide with an example of the video error?

What tool have you used to scan for the drivers?

I recommend to also verify with the system manufacturer for driver available for your system.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
EMull
Beginner

The utility used to search for drivers is the Intel Driver Support Assistant found here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

Insignia's support is very minimal. They do not provide any drivers on their website. The phone support refers you to the local geek squad at a Best Buy store.

Here is an example of the pixelization on the final row is pixels on the hard right edge of the screen. The pixelization appears to change with some sort of activity (CPU, maybe? Not sure).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dashaund

In other to investigate further could you help me filling up the information on the following link?

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
EMull
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Column of "artifacts" appearing to be an individual column of pixels running vertically from the top to bottom of the screen on the far right edge

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<br style="font-family: &font-size:13.33px; font-style: normal; font-weight: 400; border-color: # 3d3d3d; border-style: none;"/>

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):<p style="font-family: &font-size:14px; font-style: normal; font-weight: 400; border-color: # 3d3d3d; borde...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dashaund

At this point we can try to complete a manual uninstallation and installation of the graphics driver, for those actions please refer to the following set of steps:

Please follow the steps below to uninstall the graphics driver:
  1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel® Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the checkbox "Delete" the driver software for this device.
  6. Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.

Please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
  1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27780/a08/win64_15.40.38.4963.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27780/a08/win64_15.40.38.4963.zip
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click "Yes" when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click "Next". Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer.
  15. And let me know if you have any issues with the installation.

If this process does not help you fix the issue I recommend to contact the system manufacturer for further assistance.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
EMull
Beginner

I followed the steps and install the driver package as suggested, but the issue persists, if not worse than before.

The chipset is build by Intel, and there's another user having a similar issue with the same chipset with 1803. I'm disappointed in the suggestion that I need to contact the manufacturer considering that they're going to rely on Intel for an updated driver to fix the issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dashaund

Allow me to share with you that the drivers suggested to use on the previous post are the generic drivers for your system, I am recommending to refer the case to the manufacturer due to in case of the driver each manufacturer adapts the drivers to the system, to verify with the manufacturer if they more reports of issues with the Windows update.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dashaund

Could you provide with an example of the video error?

What tool have you used to scan for the drivers?

I recommend to also verify with the system manufacturer for driver available for your system.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
ŁKani
Beginner

I have the exact same issue on Kiano Intelect x3+ tablet. The tablet was preinstalled with 1603 so I went ahead and upgraded it to 1803. After upgrade I had the same row of flickering random pixels on the right of the screen as on the graphic posted there. The row can be obscured with a cursor so I don't think it's hardware issue. I believe there is garbage being written to one of the framebuffers since if I start Chrome Browser in the fullscreen, the row will alternate between displaying Chrome content and empty or random pixels.

Parameters:

Intel Atom Z8350 (4 rdzenie, od 1.44 GHz do 1.92 GHz, 2MB cache)

Intel HD Graphics 400

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pancirno

Thank you for joining the community.

In order to obtain more information about your system could you fill up the information on the flowing link.

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Please include the drivers' versions that have been used for testing.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
ŁKani
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Kiano Intelect X3+ HD

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor yo...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pancirno

By the information provided on your post seems that your problem is not exactly the same since you mention that it happens with Google chrome, to gather more data on the case please help me with the following information.

What is the version of Google chrome?

Have you tried other drivers' graphics versions? If yes let me know the version

Does the error happen with other applications? If yes, let me know the applications

Could you provide me with an example of the error?

Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Steps to save the report:
  1. Run the utility.
  2. Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
  3. Once the scan is complete click on "next".
  4. Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
  5. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.
Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
ŁKani
Beginner

It happens not only in Chrome, Chrome is an unique case where it acts a bit differently. In any other applications (or even just on the desktop without any apps running) it's the exactly same issue and looks same as in photo of the other user affected. I have tried other drivers recommended by Kiano support, they were like 2 years old and changed nothing.

0 Kudos
EMull
Beginner

I can confirm, I see the exact same behavior. The behavior acts slightly differently in Chrome, but still persists.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dashaund and pancirno

To collect more information on your cases could you please provide me with the versions of drivers that you have test trying to solve the situation? Or the download link where you get the versions from?

Best Regards

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
EMull
Beginner

The version I'm running now is 20.19.15.4963 and was provided to me in a previous message as a direct link from Intel support.

The other version I've ran (20.19.15.4835) was from the Intel website, downloaded using the Intel Driver and Support Assistant (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html ).

I did not document what the original driver version loaded on the tablet was from the factory, however, since I've gotten it I've kept the drivers up to date using the Intel Driver and Support Assistant and had no issues running the most up-to-date version of video drivers while running Windows 10 1709. It was only after upgrading to 1803 that I had an issue.

0 Kudos
ŁKani
Beginner

I have updated Windows 10 on the Kiano Intelect today and the buggy pixels have disappeared now. Try updating your system and see if it helps you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dashaund

I would like you to try a clean installation of the graphics driver, please follow the steps below to uninstall the graphics driver first:

1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel® Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the checkbox Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.
  7. After the computer restart, go back to step 1 and repeat the steps until you get the Microsoft basic display adapter, under display adapter section in the device manager.

When those steps are completed install de graphics diver following these steps:

Please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
  1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27780/a08/win64_15.40.38.4963.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27780/a08/win64_15.40.38.4963.zip
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click "Yes" when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click "Next". Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer.
  15. And let me know if you have any issues with the installation.
Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos