Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21286 Discussions

Collage keeps reverting to single screen

GeraldHoldsworth
Beginner

Hi,

We have 14 Aopen DE7400 PCs all running in collage mode across two screens. These computers are turned off every night and turned back on every morning. The screens are put into standby just after the PCs, and taken out of standby just before.

They have been working OK for the last 3 years, but now, all of a sudden, some of them keep reverting to single screen mode (or might be extended, as both screens show up, just not as collage). All 14 machines were purchased at the same time and are identical, including the software.

The graphics is an Intel Graphics 530, with the driver version 23.20.16.4973. I've downloaded the latest driver, but haven't had a chance to install it yet.

I also noticed that there is an Intel Graphics Control Centre application, but I cannot find a link to download it, apart from the Microsoft Store, which is no good as these machines are not connected to the Internet (and it will be a pain to connect them). So it would be great if I could get a stand alone installer for this software.

Oh, and also, it appears that none of the Windows 10 installs have been activated, seeing as none of the machines have ever seen the Internet...but if that were the problem, then all of them would be exhibiting this behaviour, and not just a few of them.

Many thanks,

Gerald.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

GeraldHoldsworth, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, just to let you know, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

The Intel® graphics drivers are generic, which means they might or might not work with your platform, and once installed some features and functions advertised by Aopen might not work properly or not work at all in your system.

I looked for drivers on Aopen's website but I was not able to find any for the DE7400 computer:

https://www.aopen.com/US_en/products_info/DE7400

https://global.aopen.com/download.aspx

So, in this case, what we recommend will be to get in contact directly with Aopen support to confirm which is the driver version tested and validated by them for your computer and also to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed or to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://www.aopen.com/US_en/support/services/Servicing

You mentioned, " but I cannot find a link to download it, apart from the Microsoft Store", currently that is the only option to download it, but I will send your suggestion about a stand-alone installer for this software to the proper department for them to be aware of your comments.

We also advise to install all the latest updates for Windows*10 for the proper functionality of the system.

Additionally, in the link below you will find some details about the "Collage Mode" from Intel®, just in case you want to check it:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006547/graphics.html  

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
GeraldHoldsworth
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I also looked into the Aopen website for updated drivers. However, I think I may have figured it out...and this is just a theory - all 14 PCs have two screens each collaged, including a touchscreen each. In order to get said touchscreen to collage with the other screen I had to trick the driver into thinking it wasn't a touchscreen and, to this end, have used EDID managers powered on the HDMI bus. I'm thinking that these are not powering up quick enough and the PC is not registering that there is a screen there until it has reverted to a single screen.

So, largely, it has nothing to do with the drivers...apart from them not wanting to collage when a touchscreen is included. Hopefully I'll be able to power these from another source so that they are permanently powered and, fingers crossed, this will do the trick.

Thank you also for sending those comments about IGCC to the department involved. Maybe you can also mention about collage not working with touchscreens (when quite clearly it does).

Cheers,

Gerald.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi GeraldHoldsworth, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those updates.

"I'm thinking that these are not powering up quick enough and the PC is not registering that there is a screen there until it has reverted to a single screen."

Yes, that could be very well the reason why the collage mode is not working as it should.

"I'll be able to power these from another source so that they are permanently powered and, fingers crossed, this will do the trick."

Perfect, excellent, hopefully as you mentioned, keep them permanently powered will do the trick. 

Thank you very much as well for sharing the solution in the Intel® forums, we are sure it will be very helpful and useful for all the peers viewing this thread.

"Thank you also for sending those comments about IGCC to the department involved. Maybe you can also mention about collage not working with touchscreens (when quite clearly it does)."

You are very welcome, and yes, I will make sure to mention about collage mode not working with touchscreens, when it should, along with the rest of the details that were discussed on this thread to the proper department.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos