Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Compatibility of Iris Xe with Davinci Resolve 17

LAE
Beginner

I just bought an All-In-One computer with an Intel i7 with Iris Xe shared graphics memory and when using Davinci Resolve 17 the program seems not as smooth as i would have expected, and it often gives me errors.  Has anyone had a compatibility problem?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LAE
Beginner

I just found out that Davinci Resolve needs a graphics card with a minimum of 2 Gb, but 8 is recommended.  Can the shared Iris Xe go up that high?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @LAE

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you found out that Davinci Resolve needs a graphics card with a minimum of 2 Gb, but 8 is recommended. Just to make sure, did you confirm with their support team if they mean "2GB of dedicated Video RAM built-in in the graphics card"?. Of did they confirm if this should work with shared video memory?

Also, in order to check this further, could you please confirm the following details?

1- Does "Davinci Resolve 17" consists of an only-software solution? Or are you also using any other hardware component, keyboard, etc? We are asking this since after checking their website* we see options to download the software but also reference to different hardware components.

2- What are the exact errors that you are getting? How is this affecting work or tasks? Could you please provide screenshots or a short video showing the behavior?

3- Since you mentioned "program seems not as smooth", how do you compare/monitor performance? Could you please provide step-by-step instructions regarding what the tasks are that you are performing?

4- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save to save the file as .txt file.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
LAE
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

1.  Yes.  I'm only using the free DaVinci Resolve 17 software without their hardware.  Just using my all-in-one desktop computer.

2.  I get popup windows from Resolve stating "DaVinci Resolve quit unexpectedly" (see attached screen shot) and I'm getting them when I do simple operations like adding another clip to the end of one clip, or just navigating from one project to another.  The errors prevent me from continuing.  The only option is to close out of the program and reopen it.

3.  What I mean by "not smooth" is that there are times when the video playback is choppy and sometimes freezes.  Most times it runs smoothly, but other times it appears to be struggling.  There isn't a specific thing that I do to get errors.  Sometimes something work, other times, I get an error.  

4.  SSU report is attached.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello LAE

Thank you for your response.

After checking the Intel® SSU report, we noticed that the system is running graphics driver version "27.20.100.8984", which seems to be the latest customized driver provided by Dell* as per the information found on their website*. Usually, the customized driver provided by the computer manufacturer (OEM), in this case Dell*, is the recommended one since it might have been replaced or changed by them in order to provide customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues.

However, we would like to recommend trying a clean install of the graphics driver to see if the behavior is fixed and using the latest Intel® generic driver in order to discard issues related to specific graphics versions. Please follow these steps:

1- Download the latest Intel driver from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics Driver, Version: 27.20.100.9316 (Latest).

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the section Display adapters and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager (e.g.: Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics).

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics or similar, repeat steps 5-7.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded .exe file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted.

If the installation is unsuccessful with the Intel's .exe file, try installing the driver using the .zip file:

1- Download from the same link on Download Center and save the .zip file on the computer (igfx_win10_100.9316.zip for Windows® 64 bits).

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Follow the previous steps 5-7 above until the driver in the Device Manager displays as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Go to where the .zip file is saved and unzip it.

4- Right-click the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

5- Select Update driver.

6- Click Browse my computer for driver software.

7- Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

8- Click Have Disk.

9- Click Browse. Select the location where the driver files are located.

10- Click Next. Drivers are being installed.

11- Reboot the computer when prompted.

Please report back the outcome. You may refer to this link What's My Intel® Graphics Driver Version? to review the driver version installed.

If the issue persists using the latest Intel® driver, could you please provide step-by-step instructions for issue replication (we mean, with more details than the previous descriptions if applicable...). If possible, you may share a video or screenshots showing the step-by-step process and share sample files/clips.

Also, regarding your inquiry about the graphics memory of Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics (integrated graphics), it doesn't use a separate memory bank for graphics/video. Instead, the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) uses system memory (shared memory). The Maximum Graphics Memory on Windows® 10 is Limited by OS to one-half of System Memory. The memory limit is dependent on non-Intel-controlled factors—for example, available system memory, BIOS, or system settings. You may refer to the steps on this link to view the Windows® 10 computer’s graphics memory configuration on your system.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
LAE
Beginner

I was able to download the new driver and after a couple of hours so far DaVinci Resolve has not quit on me, but the the choppiness of the video during playback is still there.  Attached is a video of me trying to play a video after adding a simple title, and one after adding a smooth transition.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello LAE

Thank you very much for your response and for the videos showing the current behavior after updating the driver. Please allow us to look into it and as soon as we have more details available, we will be posting back in this thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello LAE

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further and followed the steps you provided, we tested this in our lab using different hardware. We were not able to replicate the error message issue, but we noticed a little choppiness on the videos.

Based on that, the choppiness can be seen on Gen9+ and Iris Xe (Gen12) graphics and the best course of action is to report this with the app developer first so they can debug the issue. If they confirm it is with Intel then either the software developer contacts us directly with the debug details or you may get it from the software developer and share it with us for further investigation.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
LALITEVA
Beginner

My Greetings to fabulous Intel team,

Sir,  I purchased " i5 12 generation" as it says 12 core 16 logical processor laptop ( HP pavilion 15 ) on 12 June 2022 in India . 

it has consist iris Xe inbuilt graphic  , ( for both screenshots attached ).

I just wants to know can i run Davinci resolve17 or 18 or any good version by this system  . i am beginner and learn to editing for pursue career on it  , right now i have mobile videos 1920*1080 resolutions , .

Sir, I search on internet about this query but can't get any answer , hence i requested to you please help me on this so i will not make harm to laptop processor or my money .

eagerly waiting for response .

Thanks and regards !
Lalit 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello LAE

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos