Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Corruption in XBMC

idata
Employee

There seems to be some kind of graphical corruption in XBMC with the new drivers ... icons/logos get corrupted in the interface and there are some other minor corruptions in lists (will upload images later when i get home).

I'm running the latest 64-bit drivers on two different systems both with an i3 (HD 4000) and both experience the same problem.

Operating system used is win 8 (one PRO and the other "vanilla" win 8). System 1 is runnig XBMC 12 and the other XBMC 12.1 and both are runnig the "Aeon Nox" skin .. same corruption in both.

Can someone else please confirm this issue.

0 Kudos
163 Replies
CKusm1
Beginner

okay,... it just says ff-mpeg2video, which is fine. Everything looks and sounds the same as it always has. Maybe I never was using hardware accelerated video to begin with.

0 Kudos
CMcFa
Beginner

well that is an MPEG2 encoded video - 99% of the time those are low-def

try playing back something HD, in either the h264 or VC1 codec

0 Kudos
CKusm1
Beginner

Okay, now i found a problem when running XBMC in compatibility for windows XP service pack 3. Whenever I launch the ROM COLLECTION BROWSER, i now get a runtime error r6025 - pure virtual function call, and XBMC shuts down. If anybody has an Idea how to fix that I might be able to get XBMC running like it used to,... otherwise I may just have to get in line waiting for those new drivers to come out.

0 Kudos
CMcFa
Beginner

well just to update everyone - i have "fixed" my issues.... i sold my intel PC and bought an AMD based solution - where the graphics drivers actually works

its a shame, the intel based system was perfect from a hardware point of view, but its ridiculous that i can choose from 4 different intel drivers - each with its own show-stopping bug

0 Kudos
CMaso1
Beginner

Nice fix! More of us should be doing that. It's obvious that Intel isn't interested in a speedy resolution. Although, there may not be a resolution at all. Who really knows.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Thank you for all your feedback on this matter.

Just be aware that the issue was identified and a fix has not been implemented yet.

Some users claim that the win8.1 beta driver that was released, alleviates the issue, which is nice to know, however keep in mind this beta driver was not released for the purpose of solving the corruption issue on XBMC. I still forward the feedback you provide on that driver even though it is not for this purpose, for example the VC1 playback issue mentioned by mcfaul.

0 Kudos
ASabz
Beginner

Diego,

What changed?

You said before:

"The issue has been identified and a fix would be available on the next release of the driver however we cannot provide an estimated time for this to happen"

Now you say that a fix has not been implemented yet?

Is it still supposed to be fixed for the next release?

When is this release due?

I just bought an HTPC for XBMC purposes and I trusted the good reputation of Intel for it to work properly.

I also think that the problem we see here in XBMC is not solely an XBMC problem and would appear in other applications/games as well.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

When I say that a fix has not been implemented I refer to the fact that no official driver has been released with a claim that fixes the issue.

So still, a official release is still pending and a release date for it is not yet available.

0 Kudos
CMcFa
Beginner

Ah well, while you guys try and figure out how to write and release a driver that works, I will be spending tonight setting up my new AMD powered media PC

0 Kudos
CMcFa
Beginner

it does if you install that beta driver..... they why i suddenly started getting corruption in VC1 videos...

0 Kudos
CKusm1
Beginner

Yep,... we're waiting for a new driver. My solutions turned out to not be a solution for me at all... it caused all kinds of problems with XBMC that I didn't notice at first. I've since gone back to using it with all the graphical corruptions.

I just got a brand new custom made gaming laptop, and buying a new (non-intel based) pc is not an option for me.

0 Kudos
JReit3
Beginner

First Test: Everything seems to be working fine. Good job!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
RSchi6
Novice

Gave it a run through on as many screens as I could in XBMC, and so far so good! Good work Intel! I based my HTPC I just built around the Haswell i5 based on the specs. Now at least the software is living up to the hardware. Watching my backup rip of "Brave" @ 1080!

Message was edited by: Ronald Schildt for spelling

0 Kudos
JR10
Beginner

While the UI corruption is fixed, the new driver Win64_153117 causes XBMC in full-screen DXVA2 mode to display a full width strip containing randomish green corruption around 30 pixels tall at the top of all my videos. The corruption goes away in windowed mode or when I turn off DXVA2. Neither is an option, so it's back to the previous driver Win64_15319 for me.

0 Kudos
AFedc
Novice

Could you test version of the xbmc posted on the following URL with the lastest drivers?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B42OdYa12czTUDdVM3JSUzk4LWs/edit?usp=sharing XBMCSetup-20130912-596f548.exe - Google Drive

Also please add (or change if it's exists) %APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml with following lines

true

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RSchi6
Novice

Well I spoke too soon. I too am seeing greenish garbled band on some videos, but mines always on the LEFT side. After Brave, I tried a backup rip of an episode of Game of Thrones (blue ray),and it showed the band. Then tried a couple of YouTube downloads and personal videos and they had the band as well. If I change the view mode from Normal to 16x9, zoom or some others, I can get rid of the band. I guess it's some progress.

0 Kudos
JR10
Beginner

nightik wrote:

Could you test version of the xbmc posted on the following URL with the lastest drivers?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B42OdYa12czTUDdVM3JSUzk4LWs/edit?usp=sharing XBMCSetup-20130912-596f548.exe - Google Drive

Also please add (or change if it's exists) %APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml with following lines

true

Thanks.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I've already reverted to the old driver, and since others are reporting it, I will give them some time to try it. I can say that uninstalling the new driver and reinstalling the old went smoothly enough, and XBMC has always been good about its installer/uninstaller, though it might be a good idea to test it under a different account so there's no chance it'll mess up your database and settings. The Intel XBMC issues just aren't a huge problem for me as I'm using an Nvidia GT430 for my TV alongside the i5-4670 for the monitor on my Z87 system. I only observe the problems when I move XBMC to the monitor, which is rare for me to do. The previous driver's UI corruption is annoying but basically tolerable for my usage pattern. The new driver's corruption is a huge fail, though, as I saw the green strip on all the half dozen or so 1080p and 720p videos I tried. FTR, I'm using XBMC 12.2 on Windows 7 x64. The item was not present. BTW, the dual GPUs are working great without the need for any additional software on my Z87 system. The Handbrake QuickSync beta works fine.

0 Kudos
ASabz
Beginner

Tried the new drivers with your version of XBMC and the dxvausehdprocessor in advancedSettings.

The skin issues are solved, but as other described here, there are a few movies that now has a green bar on their side.

The green bar disappears if I disable the dxva2 hd acceleration.

This occurs with your nightly build of XBMC too.

0 Kudos
AFedc
Novice

Too bad! But thank you any way.

0 Kudos