Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Crash (BSOD) waking up from sleep with USB-C monitor plugged in

WBezou
Novice

Hello,

several month ago, I posted this issue:

BUG : Surface PRO 7 BSOD resuming from sleep when USB-C Screen plugged in - Intel Community

My surface was crashing when waking up from sleep when the USB-C monitor was plugged in (unplugged, there is no issue, as well as connecting it after wake up). I solved it by rollback the intel graphic driver to an older version.

With Windows 11, the issue never occured till yesterday update ...

We're back to a nice Black screen of death each time ...

Latest installed update : KB5006674

Thanks,

Will.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

WBezou, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the laptop? Are you still using the Surface PRO 7?

You mentioned, "With Windows 11, the issue never occured till yesterday update", so, it was working fine with Windows* 11, was it just until you did the latest Windows* update that the problem started again?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides the Windows* update?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
WBezou
Novice

Hi Alberto, thank you for looking into my issue.

I'll try to answer all your question in order.

• What is the model of the laptop? Are you still using the Surface PRO 7?

Yes, same model, Surface Pro 7 I7 16G/256

• You mentioned, "With Windows 11, the issue never occured till yesterday update", so, it was working fine with Windows* 11, was it just until you did the latest Windows* update that the problem started again?

I was on the windows 11 dev program for a few months, with no issue at all, yes the problem started again with the latest update from 3 days ago.

• Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides the Windows* update?

None, I let windows update manage the drivers and other, the computer is mainly used for office tasks, and you don't have a lot of flexibility on a surface to change the hardware 😉

• Which Windows* version are you using?

Windows 11 Pro, version 21H2, build 22000.258

• Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Both, tested with 2 different monitor plugged with USB-C

You'll find attached the log you requested.

Thanks,

Will.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi WBezou, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

According to the information showing in the SSU report, we can confirm that the graphics driver version currently installed on your device is 27.20.100.8681 provided by Intel®.

Just to let you know, the Intel® graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your laptop. For that reason, we recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked in Microsoft's website and they do have a driver package specifically for your Surface Pro 7 tested and validated by them. Please try a clean installation of that driver package, which includes a graphics driver, following the instructions in the link below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=100419

If the problem persists after that, even though the Intel® drivers are generic, for testing purposes we can try a clean installation of Intel® graphics driver version 30.0.100.9955 using the indications in the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

We also advise to get in contact directly with Microsoft support to verify that the latest BIOS version is currently installed on your machine or to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://support.microsoft.com/

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Kenneth124
Beginner

Hi, do let me know if I need to create a new topic,

I have a similar problem on my Dell Precision 5560, I have tried both the driver provided by Dell and the one on intel site and still has the same problem.

Plugged in on usb-c (thunderbolt) to a 4k monitor, will always crash when coming back from sleep with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE crash code

I have the minidumps attached.

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth

0 Kudos