Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20601 Discussions

Cyclical Freezing - graphics problem

mipeic
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with graphics. I own a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2016 - 20FCS0NC02 with a ThinkPad OneLink+ Dock. I got new SAMSUNG monitor S32D850T and plugged it into one of the two DPs. The problem that occurs is that after some time at least a few times a day the monitor freezes cyclically for every 2-3 seconds. It does not stop until I discontent the Dock from the notebook. The notebook is equipped with Intel® HD Graphics 520 and Windows 10 is the OS. I have tried to uninstall/install graphics driver several times and the problem persists.  When I switch the driver to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter this problem does not occur but the picture with Microsoft driver is lags quite a bit.

Interestingly when I connect the monitory directly to my Laptop via HDMI (bypassing the Dock) it has a hard time recognizing monitor's resolution of 2560 x 1440, and only allows 1920 x 1080 nothing higher. Sometimes when I turn the computer on it is the right resolution and other times it is not, without any rule.

Intel® HD Graphics 520

Device Details

Adapter Compatibility

Intel Corporation

Video Processor

Intel® HD Graphics Family

Resolution

2560 x 1440

Bits Per Pixel

Number of Colors

Refresh Rate - Current

59 Hz

Refresh Rate - Maximum

75 Hz

Refresh Rate - Minimum

59 Hz

Provider

Intel Corporation

Version

Date

9/7/2021

Adapter DAC Type

Internal

Adapter RAM

1.00 GB

Availability

Running at full power

Status

This device is working properly.

PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0

0 Kudos
7 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello mipeic  

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. Please share more information with us to continue:

• Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) results 
  • Intel® Graphics Command Center report 
    • Open the application 
    • "Support" > "System Diagnostic" > "Generate Report 
  • Does this happen with other monitors?
  • Does this happen with any specific content or application?
  • Which driver versions did you try?

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the Information provided internally, please remember to reply on this thread to help other community members that might experience the same issue.

As a friendly reminder we only received the SSU results, please share with us the other information left to work with a solution for this case.

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
mipeic
Beginner

I cannot check if the probem happens with other monitors as I do not own other monitor with DP port. What I do know is that it does not happen when I connect the monitor via HDMI to laptop directly or to any other device (appleTV). But one thing is sure, when I switch from Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 30.0.100.9684 (date 9.7.2021.) to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter 10.0.19041.868 (date 21.6.2006.) the problems does not reoccur.
The freezing happens regardless of what program/app I use, web browzer, media app, writing in word.
I tried to use some older version of Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (don't remember which) but the probem is still there.

0 Kudos
mipeic
Beginner

The ThinkPad OneLink+ Dock only has two DP ports and VGA port (no HDMI) so I cannot try out if the same problem would occour if I bypassed the DP port. I can try it out with VGA port if it makes any sense, will keep you updated. But as I said before, if I pug it into the HDMI port directly on the notebook this cyclical freezing does not occur.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the information provided. We are investigating this request, the updates will be posted on the thread.

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello @mipeic

For testing purposes you can try the latest version of our graphics driver 30.0.100.9805:

It's always recommended to use the OEM drivers, their latest version is 27.20.100.9171. If the issue persists even when using the OEM driver, the communication between the dock and the laptop could be the problem. In that case we recommend checking with the manufacturer for support. Docks usually need firmware updates, make sure yours is up to date.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
mipeic
Beginner

Hello,

I have installed you new graphics driver 30.0.100.9805 but the same problem still happens. Also I have tried to use OEM driver from Lenovo but it cannot be installed as it leaves an error "this operating system is not supported" although I have checked several times my OS (Windows 10 64 bit) should be working. 

Thank you, 

I will try to contact Lenovo to resolve the problem 

0 Kudos