Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

D3D12 busted on Intel 4th GEN 15.40.46.5144 drivers

zezba9000
Beginner

I've tested the 15.40.46.5144 drivers on multiple 4th Gen chips with D3D12 with multiple D3D12 projects (including Intels own sample code on GitHub).

If you use the old 2016 drivers D3D12 works correctly on 4th gen GPUs. If you update to the new 2020 ones you get hard crashes with driver exceptions logging not-implemented errors etc.

I've wasted hours of development time trying to figure out why stuff wasn't working on older Intel cards. This bug will break 100% of D3D12 games as there is no way to detect D3D12 is broken.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @zezba9000 

Starting with driver 15.40.44.5107 applications that run exclusively on DirectX* 12 API no longer work with the following Intel Graphics Controllers:

• 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200
  • 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® Iris™ Graphics 5100
  • 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 5000/4600/4400/4200
  • Intel® Pentium® and Celeron® Processors with Intel® HD Graphics based on 4th Generation Intel® Core™

A potential security vulnerability in Intel® Graphics may allow escalation of privilege on 4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) processors.  Intel released a software update to mitigate this potential vulnerability.  In order to mitigate the vulnerability, DirectX 12 capabilities were deprecated.

If you need DirectX 12 applications running on these processor's graphics you can downgrade the driver to version 15.40.42.5063 or older.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @zezba9000 

Starting with driver 15.40.44.5107 applications that run exclusively on DirectX* 12 API no longer work with the following Intel Graphics Controllers:

• 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200
  • 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® Iris™ Graphics 5100
  • 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 5000/4600/4400/4200
  • Intel® Pentium® and Celeron® Processors with Intel® HD Graphics based on 4th Generation Intel® Core™

A potential security vulnerability in Intel® Graphics may allow escalation of privilege on 4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) processors.  Intel released a software update to mitigate this potential vulnerability.  In order to mitigate the vulnerability, DirectX 12 capabilities were deprecated.

If you need DirectX 12 applications running on these processor's graphics you can downgrade the driver to version 15.40.42.5063 or older.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

zezba9000
Beginner

This is still a bug as it crashes D3D12 applications with device lost exceptions (even Intels own C++ GitHub demo on GitHub).

D3D12 can still be initialized but later fails making it near-impossible for a game-engine to fall back to D3D11 or make appropriate choices.

There needs to be an option in the Intel Graphics control panel that just allows D3D12 to work & the user takes the security risk if they want. 99.99% of people are not going to have a security issue (like what?). This is asinine for game  / engine developers like myself.

D3D12 at minimum should fail at device creation level NOT in device lost area with not-implemented driver exceptions allowing an engine to pre-determine what API to use.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Thanks for you reply.

I am forwarding your comments to our driver development team to make sure you are heard and if anything can be done to address them.

I do wish to set the right expectations, since there are a couple of points that in my personal opinion would make your request unfeasible. The main point is that Intel is phasing out development on Intel Graphics Control Panel and instead focusing on Intel Graphics Command Center (officially supported only on graphics for 6th generation and newer products). There is also the point that development work on drivers for 4th generation has slowed down considerably since it is old tech, so the changes of this receiving proper attention are low at best.

I do understand your point, so if there is any update or solution in the short term I'll post it here.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.