Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

DP MST Support for Asus N551JK / Intel HD 4600 / Nvidia GeForce 850M

Jowiscope
Novice

I saw @spot8ball running three monitors on his Asus N550JK laptop. I recently bought a Dell U2419H monitor, which supports DP 1.2 MST, and my laptop has an Intel HD 4600 / Nvidia GeForce 850M card, which also supports DP 1.2 MST (according to Nvidia's website). However, I can't get a second monitor (AOC 22B2W with HDMI/VGA inputs only) to run from my Dell U2419H via a DP to HDMI converter. 

How can I solve this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
spot8ball
New Contributor I

@Jowiscope I found success with two specific products:  1. Startech MST MDP123HD....this passive device plugs into a mini display port, works like a pseudo-daisy chain, and provides three HDMI outputs....this works, but the device is a bit pricey and it requires an external 120V power connection.  2.  j5Create Model JUA365 may be a better choice for you....this plugs into the USB C port and requires specific drivers (does not require external 120V connection).  I found this on sale from bestbuy (online) for about half the price of the Startech MST.  This device plugs into the USB 3.0, type A and provides two HDMI outputs.  This device appears to require very little power, as it is powered by the USB port.....Works great!
I actually prefer the j5Create and wish I would have tried it first.......would have saved $150.  You should be able to get three monitors with these 2 options.  A simpler solution may be to drive three monitors from 1. HDMI, Direct.  2.  Mini DP to HDMI, Converted.  3.  USB 3.0, Type A to HDMI, Converted (Requires special onboard graphics chip).

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Jowiscope
Novice

By the way, my laptop is an Asus N551JK.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you truly have a DP output, my (admittedly somewhat facetious) first response would be: well, get a better DP-to-HDMI adapter.

I presume you are not talking about trying to daisy-chain the second monitor off the first monitor using this adapter, right?

...S

Jowiscope
Novice

This is the setup I'm trying to run:

Asus N551JK mDP > Dell U2419H DP > UGreen DP to HDMI adapter > AOC 22B2W HDMI

I read somewhere that my laptop can only support a maximum of three displays, so I need to deactivate my internal monitor. However, I tried that with the 'Disconnect this display' option in Windows settings and I still can't get it to work.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
It is true that the Intel Graphics engine supports a maximum of three displays. If this laptop's design slaves the Nvidia GeForce 850M to the Intel Graphics engine, then this limit is it.
It may be that disabling the embedded display does not free up a monitor position (we saw a situation recently where this was the case with a Intel HD Graphics 4000 solution).
Now, even if this was the case here, these two monitors should work -- or is there a third monitor involved?
I have never seen a configuration like you are attempting. It is unclear to me that the DP-to-HDMI adapter will properly support MST. I think you may need to get a 2-port (DP-to-2xDP) MST Hub and connect the two monitors separately to it.
Hope this helps,
...S
Jowiscope
Novice

Yes, there is a third monitor involved. Here's my current setup

1. Asus N551JK built-in display

2. Asus N551JK miniDP > AOC 22B2W HDMI

3. Asus N551JK HDMI > AOC 22B2W HDMI

Since I  find the main display too small for my needs, I bought a Dell U2419H.

This is what I want to do:

1. Asus N551JK miniDP > Dell U2419H DP (main display)

2. Dell U2419H DP > UGreen DP to HDMI Adapter > AOC 22B2W HDMI

3. Asus N551JK HDMI > AOC 22B2W HDMI

I think you're right about the adapter though. I'm still waiting for the manufacturer's reply if it's an active type of converter that will support MST. Nevertheless, I'm still trying to figure out if there's other issues that I should deal with first.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would unplug the HDMI monitor while working on this issue. It beats struggling to disable the embedded display.

I used to do something similar with a Lenovo laptop. When I plugged it into its docking station with the lid closed, the internal display was disabled automatically. I could then use three monitors daisy chained together.

Here's an example of the MST Hub that you would need: https://smile.amazon.com/gofanco-Mini-DisplayPort-MST-Hub/dp/B079VWHXBV.

...S

Jowiscope
Novice
I've tried removing the other monitor but it still doesn't work.

I got this answer from the Dell forum. Apparently, the problem is with the adapter. Whether my laptop supports DP MST or not (which it should), I'm supposed to get a duplicate display on my HDMI monitor. Since I'm getting no image at all, that means the output signal from my Dell display isn't being processed and received by the AOC monitor.

Now I'm looking for a proper adapter. I found one on Amazon for 20 bucks, but the shipping cost to my place is 200! Man.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I can't help you with that.

Good luck,

...S

0 Kudos
Jowiscope
Novice
I found one on Amazon which costs $20 plus another $20 for expedited shipping. I'll update the thread when I get it.

Thanks for the recommend!
0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

@Jowiscope I found success with two specific products:  1. Startech MST MDP123HD....this passive device plugs into a mini display port, works like a pseudo-daisy chain, and provides three HDMI outputs....this works, but the device is a bit pricey and it requires an external 120V power connection.  2.  j5Create Model JUA365 may be a better choice for you....this plugs into the USB C port and requires specific drivers (does not require external 120V connection).  I found this on sale from bestbuy (online) for about half the price of the Startech MST.  This device plugs into the USB 3.0, type A and provides two HDMI outputs.  This device appears to require very little power, as it is powered by the USB port.....Works great!
I actually prefer the j5Create and wish I would have tried it first.......would have saved $150.  You should be able to get three monitors with these 2 options.  A simpler solution may be to drive three monitors from 1. HDMI, Direct.  2.  Mini DP to HDMI, Converted.  3.  USB 3.0, Type A to HDMI, Converted (Requires special onboard graphics chip).

Jowiscope
Novice

Ohhh, thanks for these. I wish I read your comment before I bought this $300 monitor. Well, I hope the adapter that I bought would work, otherwise, I'll have to go with your option and spend $80 more. 😞

0 Kudos
Jowiscope
Novice

@spot8ball @n_scott_pearson Thanks for the advice guys! I bought an active DP to HDMI adapter from CableCreations on Amazon and got it to work.

This is the cable I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082CXMBCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this is how my system looks like: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNCo9WuhvVV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

@Jowiscope your system looks great.  Yep, you got the same cable I have.  If you want to add another computer to your network, you can use Input Director (free) to allow sharing of keyboard and mouse.  Microsoft networking allows your to copy and paste files between computers that are networked together.  Input improves on that a little by allowing some click and drag capabilities. 

If you have Windows 10 Pro (on all networked computers), you can add Remote Desktop features among your networked computers.  You can pop up the screen from the other networked computers onto your three monitor setup.

I have five monitors on my main computer and now have an older computer for backup files and for media (audio).  If I want to control something on the client computer, I just open a remote session and pull it up on one of my five monitors, make some changes and then release control.

I'm curious.  Is your setup for work or play?

Regards,

Jowiscope
Novice

I built this for work (research + writing) but occasionally use it for training (XPlane 11). I also play on this system, but I don't have a game yet which uses all three screens. I use one of the other screens when I stream with my friends - but I don't get to do that anymore because of work. Also, it's a bit too taxing for my old laptop.

I'm planning to upgrade to a new system soon. I've got my eyes set on the Acer Predator Helios 300 with an i7-10870H and an RTX 3060 6GB. I'm picking this one 'cause it has HDMI, miniDP, and Type-C video outputs; which means I don't have to buy new cables to get it working with my monitor setup.

Maybe you have other recommendations? 

0 Kudos
spot8ball
New Contributor I

I was running five monitors, but that was using a network of two computers.  Three monitors are possible with the Intel machine.  The other machine was an older computer, capable of driving two monitors.  I linked the two computers using software from Input Director which allowed me to share the same wireless keyboard and mouse between the two.  That was how I was able to have five external monitors.

I originally posted because I was having trouble with monitors that would never go to sleep.  A few weeks have passed and I now have a new system.

I had three HP 27er monitors that would never go to sleep while connected to my ASUS notebook.  I tried to solve the issue, but eventually gave up and just replaced the HP 27er monitors with three new HP27f monitors.  These newer models appear to be pretty much the same, maybe somewhat lesser quality.  Wonderful that these monitors would go to sleep while connected to my ASUS Intel machine.

I purchased a new Dell/Intel I7 (10th generation) (Dell 8940 xps) computer from Costco that is capable of driving two monitors via its integrated graphics.  This computer also has a discrete Nvidia graphics card that is capable of driving an additional three monitors.  Voila!  I have a single computer system that can drive five monitors.  Another surprising benefit is that while connected to the new computer, I have two HP 27er monitors that WILL go to sleep when they are supposed to!!!

If anyone else has experienced the problem of HP 27er monitors not going to sleep while connected to the mini display port of an ASUS N550JK notebook computer, my conclusion is that the issue is clearly with the older Intel I7 processor (850M), as there is no problem with the Intel I7, tenth generation setup.

@Jowiscope , There is some restriction that Intel imposes with respect to the maximum number of monitors that can be attached to the machine.  With my new computer, I was hoping to connect a sixth monitor, but Intel just does not go along with my ideas.

Jowiscope
Novice
@spot8ball The important thing for me is that the Asus N551JK runs three monitors. If you were able to do that with your Asus N550JK, then I could probably do it, too. This is my intended setup - one via HDMI, the other two via miniDP and DP 1.2 MST.

I think the only problem I have right now is that the DP to HDMI adapter I bought isn't compatible, so I'm not getting any data to the daisy-chained monitor.

I just wanted to know how you set up your three monitors on your Asus N550JK to see if I'm doing it correctly as well.

Thanks for the response, too! I wasn't expecting your reply since the thread was last updated sometime ago.
0 Kudos